Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

3 minutes ago, The Yellow Dart said:

p.s. How do you post the fancy tweet thing like people did above?

Just hit enter after pasting the link, then backspace. I think that's what cues it into recognizing it's a tweet and updates itself accordingly. Kind of like the emoticons. :)

24 minutes ago, EladDv said:

both are plausible we'll have to see the landing footage to be sure (or verbal confirmation) 

I'm basing that on the tweet from Musk that said speed was OK, but it tipped over due to the leg not being locked. That's textual confirmation, right?

2 minutes ago, tater said:

I'm basing that on the tweet from Musk that said speed was OK, but it tipped over due to the leg not being locked. That's textual confirmation, right?

well it could have fell on impact and not after stabilization and that's much harder, the confirmation sounds good but it could have toppled even with an intact leg, i guess they'll need some more time to crunch the data before we get a clear cut answer 

sounds like they have nailed the landing, the leg not locking all the way was the cause for the landing failure, very promising

i dont want to say "mostly intact" but it is much better than i anticipated to go after a RUD

Edited by EladDv

3 hours ago, Frybert said:

I'm predicting a landing but it'll tip over. I'll be pleasantly surprised to be wrong, but I just don't think the barge landings are going to work as well as they are hoping.

1 hour ago, EladDv said:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/688837706005131264

The pieces were bigger this time:D

21 minutes ago, EladDv said:

sounds like they have nailed the landing, the leg not locking all the way was the cause for the landing failure, very promising

i dont want to say "mostly intact" but it is much better than i anticipated to go after a RUD

You beat me to It!

3 hours ago, Frybert said:

I'm predicting a landing but it'll tip over. I'll be pleasantly surprised to be wrong, but I just don't think the barge landings are going to work as well as they are hoping.

actually it landed softly the only problem was a leg malfunction not a landing procedure malfunction, a hardware failure not connected to the barge landing and a cause that would have compromised any landing attempt even on land

2 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/688837706005131264

The pieces were bigger this time:D

You beat me to It!

as it says on my sig- i am here there and everywhere :D

Edited by EladDv

17 minutes ago, EladDv said:

actually it landed softly the only problem was a leg malfunction not a landing procedure malfunction, a hardware failure not connected to the barge landing and a cause that would have compromised any landing attempt even on land

We'll have to see when they release video (if they do) how stable it was when it landed to see if it wouldn't have tipped anyway. With the barge moving underneath its going to exaggerate any errors or failures and what might have been a recovery on land is turned into a failure at sea. Not saying its never going to work, just that its going to be much less reliable than doing it on land. Either way I predicted a landing followed by a tip over and it landed and tipped over (which was the primary point I was trying to make).

1 hour ago, tater said:

No, I think it means it landed much like the land-landing last launch, but then one of the landing gear folded up.

This happen to me in ksp with the leg part from spacex mod...  that part is too weak!  I mean..  too accurate.

25 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

Maybe that's a v1.1 problem. F9FT dosen't have this problem (as shown last time)

Is that really what they are calling it now the F9FT? The name sounds ... ah ... dirty to me.

I hope they go back to calling it v1.2

4 hours ago, Latcarf said:

What if the drone ship was fitted with rockets on the four corners -- so that it could make contact above the waves and compensate for the wind in the same way the landing rocket does?

^^^ this is the best idea I've ever had.

That would be pretty hard.

6 hours ago, Latcarf said:

What if the drone ship was fitted with rockets on the four corners -- so that it could make contact above the waves and compensate for the wind in the same way the landing rocket does?

^^^ this is the best idea I've ever had.

A great idea, but it probably won't happen - mainly because SpaceX just couldn't afford to hire Whackjob.