Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

It's quite possible they don't know either. The boat's a drone, and if S1 knocked out the cameras, they'll need to get someone out there to look unless the landing was sufficiently catastrophic.

I have to say, SpaceX really know how to do a webcast. They're clearly big on the PR side in terms of putting cameras in all the right places and providing some fancy animations. 

Great launch. All these delays made me pretty nervous about it (vivid memories of CRS-7 failing) so it's a great relief to see it go off without a hitch and in such a picturesque way too. 

Indeed! I love all the random views. The first time they flipped to a view from inside one of the fuel tanks during launch I went crazy with how awesome that was. The view of that trail from the sun, beautiful.

Just now, Jovus said:

It's quite possible they don't know either. The boat's a drone, and if S1 knocked out the cameras, they'll need to get someone out there to look unless the landing was sufficiently catastrophic.

I think the support ships are fairly close by.  If it was a success they should know (but are probably busy safeing the stage).

3 minutes ago, Jovus said:

It should not be that hard. Do the sensors tell us the rocket is upright? The landing was a success. Are they anything else? SpaceX dented another barge. They should not need to depend on cameras to know what is up.

Edited by Camacha

1 minute ago, Jovus said:

There's a crewed support boat, but dunno if it is 3km away or 30km away.

I was watching the livecast and then remembered where I lived. So I ran outside and presto, there it was. I actually saw the stage separation and the first stage falling behind on the landing attempt. :D Cooler than the Space Shuttle!

Hope the barge landing went well. :)

Still no official word from SpaceX though. 

Having said that, I feel like they'd have known immediately if it had worked - props to them for a successful mission and getting it within range though. They'll get there some day I'm sure. 

3 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Having said that, I feel like they'd have known immediately if it had worked

I would assume this is true. They have telemetry on the first stage, no? How else to they give it the go-ahead on landing attempt. Right now they probably know something went wrong and they themselves are working to figure out how badly it went wrong.

Just now, Captain Sierra said:

I would assume this is true. They have telemetry on the first stage, no? How else to they give it the go-ahead on landing attempt. Right now they probably know something went wrong and they themselves are working to figure out how badly it went wrong.

The barge was quite a long way downrange, they may well not have direct telemetry from the stage.  If it was being relayed through the OCISLY its possible that it landed but damaged the antenna (unlikely IMO).

Just now, Captain Sierra said:

Do they relay rocket telemetry through the barge during landing attempt? I know we lost video to the barge right as it was coming down.

I don't know if they do, just speculating.  The landing occurred below the horizon from the Cape so if they had telemetry all the way down it would have to be relayed via something.  I agree that they must know something by now, so since they're not saying anything it probably failed.  I would guess that once know what happened and have some nice splody video they will make a statement.

Maybe spacex does not want to show the landing in live in case other space company learn from their mistakes, so they may need to see the video and edit in case is something of value to see.

Or.. is just the vibrations, or any interference to the communications from the engine plume.

In the video it seems as the stage landed very on the side of the barge.. no enough to support the four legs.

Edited by AngelLestat