Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

They'd be smart to delay crash video so the news reports a successful launch as the headline, instead of "spacex rocket crashes at sea" then having the fact a satellite made it to GEO buried below the fold.

The people that care about news headlines aren't the ones buying launches from SpaceX.  The people buying launches are more in the know than us in this forum, and won't be deterred by bad press.  The public at large hardly know SpaceX even exists, and have no bearing on what SpaceX will do in the future.  What's the downside of a headline like that?  Saving a bit of face, maybe?  I guess that's reasonable, but pretty minor in my opinion.  :) 

2 minutes ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

The people that care about news headlines aren't the ones buying launches from SpaceX.  The people buying launches are more in the know than us in this forum, and won't be deterred by bad press.  The public at large hardly know SpaceX even exists, and have no bearing on what SpaceX will do in the future.  What's the downside of a headline like that?  Saving a bit of face, maybe?  I guess that's reasonable, but pretty minor in my opinion.  :) 

No downside other than it being sad that the majority of the public get the wrong impressions. I know it has little effect on SpaceX itself, but I think that public opinion of and engagement with the space sector is something that's really important for the long term future of spaceflight, as well as it just being sad when people are misinformed. It's on a similar vein to my feelings about moon landing deniers; the fact that they don't believe it's real doesn't affect the event itself - we still landed on the moon - but it does make me deeply, deeply sad. 

3 minutes ago, Exploro said:

Hmmm. This news is a little disappointing.

No its not successful mission is successful. And the fact that the first stage got as close as it did under the most extreme circumstances should be a hell of an indicator. Id bet they stick it next time.

Edited by Motokid600

9 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

No its not successful mission is successful. And the fact that the first stage got as close as it did under the most extreme circumstances should be a hell of an indicator. Id bet they stick it next time.

While I completely agree with you...

Id bet they stick it next time.

I think you said this after the last landing oops too ;) Or at least someone did. 

Hey guys, as promised, here's some video. I have another, probably better video but for now I'm ready to get on with my Friday night.

Spoiler

Edited by Frybert

55 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

While I completely agree with you...

I think you said this after the last landing oops too ;) Or at least someone did. 

Na not me. I only say that now because the next payload is much smaller and Elon said theres a good chance this one will be successful. Not sure if there going for a land or the barge next time...

2 minutes ago, Frybert said:

Bah, second time TODAY i've been cursed with poor page positioning. Check out the last post on the page before this one! :wink:

Were you in front of the "Banana River" road sign? Because that's where I was :)

Here's a recap:

The Falcon 9 did it's mission perfectly. The vehicle got to a geostationary transfer orbit and now SES-9 is on it's own. Thank you for flying Falcon 9, we hope to see you again.

The flight plan for the first stage was to do a reentry burn and land on the barge. The reentry was harsh due to the fuel restrictions. The first stage came down on target, and while it looked like it completly missed the barge it actually didn't. The first stage landed to hard resulting in a rapid unplanned disassembly.

So where are we now?

Well, we don't have much details on the barge. This landing wasn't expected at all to be successful as shown by the reporter's reaction(and tweets for Elon Musk). The crowd's reaction was something like, "OHHHH, awwww, OHHHH, awwww." as the video feed cut in and out.
Elon Musk has said that CRS-8 will have a very good chance at a successful landing due to the fuel restrictions.

Speculation:

Because of there being no fuel restrictions, there's a good chance that CRS-8 will be a RTLS landing, which improves it's odds of landing. If they choose to do an RTLS, it will be their second attempt(and hopefully second success).

24 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Were you in front of the "Banana River" road sign? Because that's where I was :)

There was a little park just after I turned onto US 1 from 50. Not sure what its called but that's where I used to go to see shuttle launches when I was younger. AWESOME view of the LC39 pads. My first time that close for a Falcon launch so I actually wasn't 100% on exactly where I should be looking, missed the first second or so. Had to look a little further to the right than 'normal'.

Edit:

For anyone from out of town who is interested, here is the google maps info on a great place to watch launches from.

Edited by Frybert

4 minutes ago, Frybert said:

There was a little park just after I turned onto US 1 from 50. Not sure what its called but that's where I used to go to see shuttle launches when I was younger. AWESOME view of the LC39 pads. My first time that close for a Falcon launch so I actually wasn't 100% on exactly where I should be looking, missed the first second or so. Had to look a little further to the right than 'normal'.

Alright, I have no idea where that is, I'm only a teenager, so I don't drive :D

EDIT: G'night.

Edited by Spaceception

I got to watch the live stream in real time with my two kids...they're both toddlers but they loved it. Kept shrieking and pointing and exhulting about the "Fawcon Wocketship" and making big whooshing sound effects. 

The older one was particularly interested in the SECO and reignition sequence. "Da wocketship is fyying faster dan an airpwane?!"

I don't think a delay in posting video is about ego, or sales, I think it's just managing press rationally. They release video of their rockets exploding on impact all the time, it's not about that, it's about the idiot press pushing the failure of an (optional) landing attempt vs the success of delivering the payload. People here have posted funny news stories about space stuff that gets the facts very wrong. They're reporters, if they could do anything else, they'd not be stuck writing about what other people do.

Anyway, that seems sensible to me, if I were running their press office, I'd post all that stuff, just wait a couple days.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

I don't think a delay in posting video is about ego, or sales, I think it's just managing press rationally. They release video of their rockets exploding on impact all the time, it's not about that, it's about the idiot press pushing the failure of an (optional) landing attempt vs the success of delivering the payload. People here have posted funny news stories about space stuff that gets the facts very wrong. They're reporters, if they could do anything else, they'd not be stuck writing about what other people do.

Anyway, that seems sensible to me, if I were running their press office, I'd post all that stuff, just wait a couple days.

While I doubt this is the case, seeing headlines like "SpaceX lofts satellite; botches landing" make me want to tear my hair out. 

Yeah, in this case they have to board the drone ship, and grab a memory card for the video. Still, it's not like companies should not try to manage their image.

Edited by tater

36 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I got to watch the live stream in real time with my two kids...they're both toddlers but they loved it. Kept shrieking and pointing and exhulting about the "Fawcon Wocketship" and making big whooshing sound effects. 

The older one was particularly interested in the SECO and reignition sequence. "Da wocketship is fyying faster dan an airpwane?!"

Aww, that's adorable. :)  Have you introduced them to KSP?

27 minutes ago, tater said:

I don't think a delay in posting video is about ego, or sales, I think it's just managing press rationally. They release video of their rockets exploding on impact all the time, it's not about that, it's about the idiot press pushing the failure of an (optional) landing attempt vs the success of delivering the payload.

Quite likely that has much to do with SpaceX advance publicity on the (optional) landing attempt vice the success of delivering the payload.   Or it might have something to do with the vast imbalance in public interest between the (optional) landing attempt vice the success of delivering the payload.   Etc... etc...

The press aren't idiots - they know dang well that sex sells.  Just look at the thread here, how many posts did the fanboys make asking if the payload made it vice how many were looking for information on the (optional) landing?  Note that Musk's tweet on the payload wasn't repeated, but his tweet on the (optional) landing attempt was.