Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

21 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Just look at the thread here, how many posts did the fanboys make asking if the payload made it vice how many were looking for information on the (optional) landing?

SpaceX Recovery and Reusability thread

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Aww, that's adorable. :)  Have you introduced them to KSP?

Believe it or not, haven't actually ever played KSP. 

This just happens to be the largest and most active group of spaceflight enthusiasts on any form I have found. 

Edited by sevenperforce

Just now, sevenperforce said:

Downloaded the demo but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Ah, well, I have the Demo, and apparently it's harder than the full game, which means I expect to get to Duna on my first try when I get the full game (Maybe next month) :)

Certainly the explody landings fit the usual drivers of eyeballs vs "SES achieved a 40,000 km apogee."

Still, knowing that the press will lead with the exciting 'splody footage, some delay makes sense. They get double press then, into the bargain, as they'll add a story/update when they have the film.

Does anyone know what happes to the second stage? I dont remember its height at the second firing, will it decay soon? Or do they even have some left over RCS propellant to slow down at apoapsis?

I just cant imagine Elon Musk would like to contribute to the debris problem...

Edited by Elthy

28 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Does anyone know what happes to the second stage? I dont remember its height at the second firing, will it decay soon? Or do they even have some left over RCS propellant to slow down at apoapsis?

Edited by sgt_flyer
Snip

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Believe it or not, haven't actually ever played KSP. 

This just happens to be the largest and most active group of spaceflight enthusiasts on any form I have found. 

forum.nasaspaceflight.com is worth a look. Not that you're not welcome here, of course.

3 hours ago, Elthy said:

It's a good question.

On the one hand, as a player of RSS, I expect 'circularization' after apogee, and that certainly didn't happen here.

On the other hand, the second stage injected SES-9 into GTO and there were 2 SECO events, and added to the fact that I've heard that SpaceX likes 'overpowered' stages, I suspect it's in a 'stable' orbit.

On the gripping hand, low-Earth orbits aren't like low-Kerbin orbits. There's drag from stray atmosphere and the van Allen belts, and probably enough gravitic anomalies in the Earth to make orbits wobble and behave strangely in the long term. Most LEO satellites have stationkeeping fuel for these reasons.

Taking all that into account, I suspect (though I don't have any privileged information) that the second stage is in a 'stable' orbit that will decay fairly soon (weeks/months, maybe years).

ETA: Just realized that bit about the comparison with KSP might be taken as condescending; it wasn't meant to be. Just the comparison that jumped to mind, considering the forum we're using.

Edited by Jovus

Some of us noticed the Mote reference ;)

they said SES would take a few weeks or months to be in its orbit, I think they put apogee above GEO, and it will circularize with ion over weeks.

I distinctly remember the talking heads mention three second stage burns a couple times during the full webcast. However, I only counted two burns. It's possible they were mistaken, I was mistaken, or they were counting the first stage as the first burn. It's also possible they did do a third burn of the second stage to deorbit it, after the webcast.

The reason I think that is because I believe the Orbcomm OG-2 mission back in December used the second stage re-light test (in preparation for this SES-9) to deorbit the second stage. However, if I recall correctly, the deorbit burn occurred after the webcast.

3 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Snip??

sorry :) not meant to quote you :) - and once a post is made, there's no option to delete it in the new forums ;)

Edited by sgt_flyer

22 minutes ago, VirtualCLD said:

I distinctly remember the talking heads mention three second stage burns a couple times during the full webcast. However, I only counted two burns. It's possible they were mistaken, I was mistaken, or they were counting the first stage as the first burn. It's also possible they did do a third burn of the second stage to deorbit it, after the webcast.

The reason I think that is because I believe the Orbcomm OG-2 mission back in December used the second stage re-light test (in preparation for this SES-9) to deorbit the second stage. However, if I recall correctly, the deorbit burn occurred after the webcast.

I'm with you, I could have sworn they said they were gonna use up whatever was left in the falcon to start circularization, they mentioned it wouldn't be much cuz of boiloff. 

This guy takes some of the best amateur footage of the major launches I've seen yet.

WARNING: Avoid the comment section. Reds Rhetoric is involved in fighting against conspiracy theorists so his comment section is a war zone. Just avoid it.

3 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Nooooooo! You don't know what your getting yourself intoooooooo! Lol... Give it a day it'll be complete hell.

I only saw one :P

EDIT: Okay, maybe two.

Edited by Spaceception

52 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

This guy takes some of the best amateur footage of the major launches I've seen yet.

WARNING: Avoid the comment section. Reds Rhetoric is involved in fighting against conspiracy theorists so his comment section is a war zone. Just avoid it.

HOLY CRAP! I was looking for that guy's video! I was standing like 15 feet away from him! At a certain point I actually gave up my own recording to watch his. I wondered what he had on his head.I'm out of likes for the day, but THANK YOU FOR FINDING THIS!

2 minutes ago, Frybert said:

HOLY CRAP! I was looking for that guy's video! I was standing like 15 feet away from him! At a certain point I actually gave up my own recording to watch his. I wondered what he had on his head.I'm out of likes for the day, but THANK YOU FOR FINDING THIS!

Did you talk to him after the launch?