Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

5 minutes.  That's how late I came to the webcast.  5 minutes after the landing. GAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

*sigh*  Sorry, I'm just upset about it. 

I'm still happy that I could see what I did, though.

Well in all fairness, you are a mad rocket scientist. 

Now to clean out a couple hundred forum emails...

The most awesome part about the landing was the landing commentator saying "Of course i still love you, we have a Falcon 9 on board.".

Kinda puts the perspective that the rocket is chasing the ship, not the other way round.

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

5 minutes.  That's how late I came to the webcast.  5 minutes after the landing. GAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

*sigh*  Sorry, I'm just upset about it. 

I'm still happy that I could see what I did, though.

Same here. I know exactly how you feel. Except I actually thought I was exactly on time. Planned my whole day around it ;.;

I know there'll be more, but this was the first of its kind. It's just not the same...

23 minutes ago, VirtualCLD said:

CONGRATS SpaceX and Congrats Theo!

So... Now what? Does 8t just sail back to port like that, or does some poor soul have to board it and secure the rocket to the deck, all the while hoping a rogue wave doesn't knock it over?

Edit: Wanted to acknowledge the awesomeness that was a barge landing. 

Now the nearby support ship comes and retrieves the booster.  

I'm so happy :D.  Great accomplishment.

8 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Naw, if anything they're going more Kerbal. They'll start crashing things on other planets now. 

Given that I intend to be on one of those things, I hope they don't.

22 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

It already is.

22 minutes ago, Robotengineer said:

It's already more cost effective than that was IIRC.

I chose my words poorly. Are they going to re-use this one, or the one that landed previously? Will they tell us how much it costs? When do we find out whether they've done re-use right and made it worth it? We would have thrown a party in 1981, too, but the shuttle's problems only became apparent with time.

I bet @illectro is scrambling to upload something just to shut up the thousands of people asking him for his opinion.

Just now, HebaruSan said:

I chose my words poorly. Are they going to re-use this one, or the one that landed previously? Will they tell us how much it costs? When do we find out whether they've done re-use right and made it worth it? We would have thrown a party in 1981, too, but the shuttle's problems only became apparent with time.

I bet @illectro is scrambling to upload something just to shut up the thousands of people asking him for his opinion.

I seriously doubt SpaceX will release the real cost savings from reuse, given that they are already the cheapest (I think) launch provider out there. They don't plant to reuse the first one they landed AFAIK, and we'll have to wait until we see what sort of shape the one that just landed is in. Who is @illectro?

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

Touche, but then again, I chose my words carefully too. SpaceX would never have gotten into the rocket launch business if not for the possibility of rapid reuse. Given that SpaceX is already way, way cheaper than the shuttle program was, it is already a success. 

To your other question, though, they were never planning on reusing the first recovered stage. Very high probability that they will reuse this one, though. SES already offered to buy it. Apparently the first recovered stage was virtually "refuel-and-relaunch" ready so there's no reason to expect anything different in this case. 

14 minutes ago, max_creative said:

They should name a barge "f5" because that reloads quicksaves in ksp.

Psst. F9 is the one that loads. Which is a lovely coincidence I think :D.

Also....

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Edited by Anquietas314

After re-watching the landing footage, I think I'm going to watch the hosted webcasts from now on. As awesome as the landing was on its own, listening to dozens of people cheer it on makes it extra exciting IMO. :)

1 minute ago, Mitchz95 said:

After re-watching the landing footage, I think I'm going to watch the hosted webcasts from now on. As awesome as the landing was on its own, listening to dozens of people cheer it on makes it extra exciting IMO. :)

Hosted as opposed to...?

I personally find the hosted casts annoying, except in the downtime(coasting, 2nd stage burns, ect). I run both casts, but keep the hosted muted until I want to hear someone tell me something I probably already know.