Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

20 minutes ago, tater said:

In the press conference I posted, Musk says that the first landing (RTLS) is going outside HQ, they just got permission from the FAA because it's taller than anything else around the airport there (hence having to ask). He said the one that just landed will probably fly in May.

Excellent. I look forward to the discussion of "They did it" / "Will it be worth it" being replaced by an increasingly long, complex spreadsheet tracking which boosters have been used how many times with what results. Was that the third launch of booster 2, or the second launch of booster 3...?

Once re-use is established, is the plan to accumulate a pool of boosters and only build a new one when retiring an old one? If so, do we know the planned size of that pool?

Edited by HebaruSan

2 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Once re-use is established, is the plan to accumulate a pool of boosters and only build a new one when retiring an old one? If so, do we know the planned size of that pool?

Anything they launch for NASA has to be done on new equipment.

1 hour ago, tater said:

In the press conference I posted, Musk says that the first landing (RTLS) is going outside HQ, they just got permission from the FAA because it's taller than anything else around the airport there (hence having to ask). He said the one that just landed will probably fly in May.

I think he later revised the statement to June or July.  He stated that the May date may have been a bit too ambitious as far as flight re-certification, etc...

On 4/10/2016 at 6:04 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Hey thanks for that proof.

One thing is still bothering me though.  In searching for specs on the F9 and it's missions, I've been surprised to find that a lot of the missions it's been performing appear to be well under it's designated specs.  On the wiki it says it can haul 13 tons to LEO, or 4.8 tons to GTO, but I can't find a single LEO mission that weighed more than 7 tons.  The ISS resupply missions appear to be 2000 to 2500 kg of cargo, aboard he 4,2 ton Dragon spacecraft.  And the GTO missions appear to be similarly small payloads.  Some of them weighed in at under 2 tons.    Is it because there are no "middle ground" rockets that could perform these lighter missions, or is the F9 so economical that it costs less than these weaker rockets?

42 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

Elsbeth III (with ASDS OCISLY and F9-23) is 47 nautical miles from Port Canveral, check its progress here:https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/4eawpv/satellite_location_of_ocisly_over_past_days/

Did they send people to strap the rocket down, or is the boat still completely unmanned?  And if it's the later, how have they prevented it from tipping over in the oceanic swells?

Edited by PTNLemay

2 minutes ago, PTNLemay said:

Did they send people to strap the rocket down, or is the boat still completely unmanned?  And if it's the later, how have they prevented it from tipping over in the oceanic swells?

They send people out and weld straps over the landing legs to the deck.

26 minutes ago, PTNLemay said:

One thing is still bothering me though.

Well, the Wiki lists 13 tons to LEO. That doesn't say if that's expendable or reusable. If you knock off 30% for reuse, that brings it down to about 9 tons. Also, that figure only says "to LEO"  but it doesn't say where in LEO. The Space Shuttle Wiki has two listings for LEO:

• Payload to LEO (204 kilometers (110 nmi) @ 28.5° inclination: 27,500 kilograms (60,600 lb)
  • Payload to LEO (407 kilometers (220 nmi) @ 51.6° to ISS): 16,050 kilograms (35,380 lb)[65]
  • Payload to GTO: 8,390 lb (3,806 kg)
  • Payload to Polar Orbit: 28,000 lb (12,700 kg)

So it's not a given that F9v1.1 can haul 13 tons to the ISS. As for other satellites, well, it just may be that they haven't found a customer that wants 13 tons in a lower LEO. But they have sent a payload to L1, at a million miles out.

1 hour ago, PTNLemay said:

Hey thanks for that proof.

One thing is still bothering me though.  In searching for specs on the F9 and it's missions, I've been surprised to find that a lot of the missions it's been performing appear to be well under it's designated specs.  On the wiki it says it can haul 13 tons to LEO, or 4.8 tons to GTO, but I can't find a single LEO mission that weighed more than 7 tons.  The ISS resupply missions appear to be 2000 to 2500 kg of cargo, aboard he 4,2 ton Dragon spacecraft.  And the GTO missions appear to be similarly small payloads.  Some of them weighed in at under 2 tons.    Is it because there are no "middle ground" rockets that could perform these lighter missions, or is the F9 so economical that it costs less than these weaker rockets?

Launches aren't sold based on weight, typically. The Falcon 9 is quite overpowered for LEO due to the really fantastic T/W ratio of the Merlin 1Ds; it was designed that way to give it a margin for reuse. 

13 hours ago, DarthVader said:

Elsbeth III (with ASDS OCISLY and F9-23) is 47 nautical miles from Port Canveral, check its progress here:https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/4eawpv/satellite_location_of_ocisly_over_past_days/

Elsbeth III, F9-23, and the other assorted support ships returned to Port Canaveral early this AM (Eastern Time).

A couple images:

http://imgur.com/4njELVY

http://imgur.com/qIe1DNd

Edited by Ignath
Timezone for clarity & official SpaceX pic

part of the soot was washout, not sure how bad that can be taking into account that it was partially made by seawater.
I still think they need a solid and place fixed platform in the sea. 

Edited by AngelLestat

16 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

"Washout"?

I assume he means washed off.  "Some of the soot was washed off, not sure how bad that could be taking into account it was washed off by seawater"

Just now, Ignath said:

I assume he means washed off.  "Some of the soot was washed off, not sure how bad that could be taking into account it was washed off by seawater"

If the problem is too bad, the team that wlds the leg to the deck can just throw a dust cover over the engines for the trip back.

I made a compilation of every SpaceX rocket landing and landing attempt that was recorded on video, from Grasshopper to last Friday. It ended up being kinda long but oh well. Maybe I'll make another one with just Falcon 9 landings.

Edited by The Yellow Dart

2 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

If the problem is too bad, the team that wlds the leg to the deck can just throw a dust cover over the engines for the trip back.

How sure are we that this is dust, could be that the paint burnt off, the hydrolics on the legs looks like they have been through fire. The coloration looks to me like heat oxidized metal.

I wonder how bad the sea spray will effect it. They should definitely cover as much as they can with tarps.

Oh and correct me if I'm wrong, but that definitely looks like some kind of clamp on the feet.

Edited by Motokid600

18 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

I wonder how bad the sea spray will effect it. They should definitely cover as much as they can with tarps.

Oh and correct me if I'm wrong, but that definitely looks like some kind of clamp on the feet.

Welded-on shoes for stability.

Edited by Robotengineer

5 hours ago, PB666 said:

How sure are we that this is dust, could be that the paint burnt off, the hydrolics on the legs looks like they have been through fire. The coloration looks to me like heat oxidized metal.

If you watch the launch footage closely, there was some nasty plume recircularisation into the engine bay; bad enough that I initially thought it was on fire.

1 minute ago, Kryten said:

If you watch the launch footage closely, there was some nasty plume recircularisation into the engine bay; bad enough that I initially thought it was on fire.

You mean the flare after passing through its Mach related bow shock? They could have prevented that if they had designed the nose piece minimize boundary separation after bow shock. Would have increased the weight though and cost of nose piece. After seeing the docked video of the barge at Canaveral I realized that it was paint, you can still see the space X Logo on the bottom of the stage. According to Sears-haack shape, the rise in crosssectional area should taper and then recede, otherwise you get wave formation along the rest of the body, as speed increases the wave length proceeds down the body and then down the plume.

My bad, did not realize, thought it was a H2 / O2, in-fact it uses kerosene, yep that bow shock caused the engines to soot it up. But on the bright side, having the engines under the boundary layer does increase the ISP, lol, funny because creating that separation costs more in Mach drag.