Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Seeing those orange ants swarming around the bottom of it really puts it in perspective

And it dwarfed the crane that was holding it... ha. Anyway supposedly they were talking in EJ's stream about smoke having been seen a half hour ago. Something like they burned off some excess fuel or TEA/TEB. Hopefully nothing bad...

5 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

But look at the little mast on the barge as opposed to the rocket. And look at the horizon. There's definitely an angle there

Again, a fisheye lens will do that.  The rocket was very close to the lens, the little mast was further away.  fisheye lenses will do that sort of distortion.  

1 hour ago, Motokid600 said:

And it dwarfed the crane that was holding it... ha. Anyway supposedly they were talking in EJ's stream about smoke having been seen a half hour ago. Something like they burned off some excess fuel or TEA/TEB. Hopefully nothing bad...

Yeah. I was expecting them to drain the ignition fuel (pyrophoric TEA-TEB) but instead it appears they simply burned it off by triggering the reignition sequence. Presumably it was something they needed to do while they had the rocket firmly strapped down, before attempting to transport it. 

Speculation that this should have been done automatically on OCISLY but some part of the automated process failed. 

2 hours ago, PB666 said:

There are two plumes that start shooting axis-up as CRS-6 is tilted around 30 to 45 degrees. Its starts at around 12/13 seconds and lasts until 15/16 seconds in the video. 

But if you look at the left frame of that video above, you can see plumes shooting to the side, but no plumes shooting straight up. So the plumes on the right that look like they are shooting up must be pointed above the camera but perpendicular to falcon.

edit: not that this is of any value or importance... I don't really know why I'm arguing about this :confused:

Edited by The Yellow Dart

3 hours ago, Camacha said:

Does anyone happen to know what the maximum dynamic pressure is on the Falcon 9? I have been looking for it, but cannot find it.

its close to m*20 m/s^2 for drag, at peak thrust they were over 3g. The payload had a serious mach shock wave and paased the barrier quite rapidly, indicating it was not waiting around at sub-mach speed for the atmosphere to thin it punched through as soon as it had the verticle velocity. 

8 hours ago, The Yellow Dart said:

But if you look at the left frame of that video above, you can see plumes shooting to the side, but no plumes shooting straight up. So the plumes on the right that look like they are shooting up must be pointed above the camera but perpendicular to falcon.

edit: not that this is of any value or importance... I don't really know why I'm arguing about this :confused:

Both can be true. In fact in the CRS-6 video you look carefully and there is another small plume out to the side, both can be true.

Still, windows are important for the experience they're trying to sell, and windows the size of the ones they're planning are a big change to the structure. A windowed capsule was seen on the factory tour a while back in an advanced state of assembly, so I'd expect it to appear soon.

In other news, Bezos made a short presentation at the Space Symposium this week; the only big new piece of info is that they're planning to send up test passengers next year and paying passengers in 2018.

We have come so far already.

12 hours ago, PB666 said:

its close to m*20 m/s^2 for drag, at peak thrust they were over 3g. The payload had a serious mach shock wave and paased the barrier quite rapidly, indicating it was not waiting around at sub-mach speed for the atmosphere to thin it punched through as soon as it had the verticle velocity. 

Thanks, but neither of those are pressures :) I am looking for the pressure the shell has to endure.

Edited by Camacha

16 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Thanks, but neither of those are pressures :) I am looking for the pressure the shell has to endure.

:mad: I was just about to put that there!!

claps good for you, for beating me.

10 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

claps good for you, for beating me.

It is not a contest, it is about sharing wonderful technology and stories :)

Edited by Camacha

Just now, Camacha said:

It is not a contest, it is about sharing wonderful technology and stories.

I know that, I just thought it was funny that right before I shared the video, I saw that you already did that, when I clicked on this thread I skimmed to the bottom to see if it had already been shared, and sure enough, it was :)

3 hours ago, Camacha said:

You can calculate it guess at the weight, thats going to approximate the pressure on the nose cone. 1g to fight gravity, 1g to fight drag, 1g to accelerate.