Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Afaik, NASA requirement is to land by chutes. Probably, this means — to splash (i.e. to can do it by chutes only).
Of course, they can use engines to soften, but if splashing — it makes not much sense, while if landing — it means significant change of contract conditions.

Maybe when Dragon V2 flies NASA will accert it and if it works, that's it.

Not sure though. Moreover, let's not derail a BO thread.

3 hours ago, PB666 said:

Not even sure what blue origins market is other than people who want to spend a minute floating. 

Lots of people want to do that. Why do you think there are lots of Zero-G airplanes ?

Edited by YNM

14 minutes ago, YNM said:

Lots of people want to do that. Why do you think there are lots of Zero-G airplanes ?

Exactly. Zero-G airplanes may cost less than blue origin's giant flying... rocket. Consumers may prefer a cheaper option rather than a minute flight on the tip of a giant flying... rocket.

Plus, once SpaceX's dragon v2 goes into operation, there may be a very slim chance that they may offer commercial flights as well (once the accessibility to space increases).

23 hours ago, Kryten said:

If you look back the speed indicator had a lot of lag on it, I wouldn't read too much into the readings it gave,

23 hours ago, PB666 said:

Yeah those data reporting units may or may not catch the deceleration. For the SX telemetry i caught periods up to about a quarter second where the feed had basically stopped. 

Understood. So, do either of you (anyone) know how many g's the crew will pull right before that touchdown (on the firing of those retros)? I'm curious - Soyuz stories and all that.

20 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Chris Hadfield described Soyuz landings as "fifteen explosions followed by a car crash". :)

Yes, Soyuz stories, many I've heard of bruises, broken bones, even broken teeth (Boris Volynov).

5 hours ago, PB666 said:

Not even sure what blue origins market is other than people who want to spend a minute floating. 

I understand that the view from 100 miles up is quite nice too.

On 6/19/2016 at 10:13 AM, PB666 said:

Looks like the frame eventually crumpled and much fell overboard or was push over board?

If what i am seeing is correct , what a mess. 

The Falcon certainly was not supposed to descend that slowly, so that was the first issue.

Due to that, there was an early LOX depletion which cut out one of the engines above the surface(or was it all?) Anyway, going into wild speculation here, if one engine only cut out then it might have created an unequal cent of thrust, which made it land a bit sideways, leading to tipping.

I don't have much understanding of it still, so this is my guess.

53 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Understood. So, do either of you (anyone) know how many g's the crew will pull right before that touchdown (on the firing of those retros)? I'm curious - Soyuz stories and all that.

It involves slowing down from about 8m/s over about half a second, so roughly 2g. Would still feel pretty high because of the very sudden onset.

53 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Yes, Soyuz stories, many I've heard of bruises, broken bones, even broken teeth (Boris Volynov).

In Volynov's case the retrorockets didn't fire, and the parachute didn't deploy properly.

Edited by Kryten

On 6/19/2016 at 11:05 AM, Robotengineer said:

Shame on Blue Origin for using imperial units. Real rocket webcasts use metric. 

I, too, was thoroughly disappointed when I saw that the speed indicator was in mi/hr. Not even SpaceX uses m/s like they should. :( I can judge highway speed in those units, but I have no idea how fast that rocket is going except from what I know from KSP and the occasional mach number given by the announcers.

14 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I, too, was thoroughly disappointed when I saw that the speed indicator was in mi/hr. Not even SpaceX uses m/s like they should. :( I can judge highway speed in those units, but I have no idea how fast that rocket is going except from what I know from KSP and the occasional mach number given by the announcers.

At least it's better than ESA, who forgot the km in km/s and measured their speed in Hertz 

9 minutes ago, insert_name said:

At least it's better than ESA, who forgot the km in km/s and measured their speed in Hertz 

LOL that's hilarious. Was this a one-time thing or do I need to start watching more ESA launches? :D

11 hours ago, KSK said:

I understand that the view from 100 miles up is quite nice too.

This. The whole point of space tourism isn't the floating around part, it's the space part. And even one of these little suborbital hops will get you considerably more floating around time than the $50,000 vomit comet. If not for Virgin Galactic's accident a couple years ago we might have seen it by now, Bezos does seem to be making slow progress tho. Last I heard, SpaceX has no plans to offer tour flights.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

LOL that's hilarious. Was this a one-time thing or do I need to start watching more ESA launches? :D

I haven't watched that many ESA launches, this is the video where that occurs, skip to about 3 minutes

3 hours ago, insert_name said:

They should replace speed with frequency and measure in μHz.

Say, a ship orbits the Earth once per 1.5 hour, i.e. 1 turn per 5000 s, i.e. 2*10-4 Hz = 200 μHz.

So, they should report: "Ship orbital frequency 200 μHz... Increasing oscillations up to 300 μHz... Orbital frequency is 315 μHz. Ship deoscillated from Earth gravity field."

round-Kerbin orbital frequentcy is 644 μHz. While Earth revolves round the Sun with 32 nHz.

(A "tidal lock" shines with new colors in this paradigm).

Edited by kerbiloid

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

They should replace speed with frequency and measure in μHz.

Say, a ship orbits the Earth once per 1.5 hour, i.e. 1 turn per 5000 s, i.e. 2*10-4 Hz = 200 μHz.

So, they should report: "Ship orbital frequency 200 μHz... Increasing oscillations up to 300 μHz... Orbital frequency is 315 μHz. Ship deoscillated from Earth gravity field."

round-Kerbin orbital frequentcy is 644 μHz. While Earth revolves round the Sun with 32 nHz.

(A "tidal lock" shines with new colors in this paradigm).

I wonder if there is a black hole with a small enough radius that you could get a frequency like in the video

You would be fine paying an extra $300 on a new $30,000 car just because the salesman told you they have decided to charge only you more?

SpaceX is a lean and frugal company, they don't just throw money around if they don't have to. 

4 hours ago, Wingman703 said:

You would be fine paying an extra $300 on a new $30,000 car just because the salesman told you they have decided to charge only you more?

SpaceX is a lean and frugal company, they don't just throw money around if they don't have to. 

Its going to come down to some basic math.

(Cost increase of port fees) x (number of flights landed before SpaceX's private spaceport comes online) vs (Cost of lawsuit to be grandfathered through the port fees)

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

That'll need more than a few rolls of duct tape to fly again...Maybe they could at least take it to the recycling facility?

Well seeing is how it looks like they're putting it into a dumpster that may be what they intend.

6 hours ago, Wingman703 said:

This, my father was buying an new car so I got an offer to by his old for $4K, this was idiotic cheap for me, but that was that the car company offered him for it and he preferred to sell it to me as my car was too old. Car companies who sell new cars don't want 10 years old ones, their labor and rent of the ground. They are very happy selling 1-8 year old cars as the sale price is high enough to cower their cost. 

2 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

The engines look like something out of Dr. Seuss.

"...slammed I am!"

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Maybe they could at least take it to the recycling facility?

And off to Jeb's Junkyard and SpaceCraft Parts it goes!

Edited by StrandedonEarth