Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Just now, Acvila said:

should NASA worried? they seems to have better rockets

currently nasa doesn't have rockets, American aerospace companies do. And better is subjective, falcon 9 is cost effective,  delta 4 has high payload, and atlas 5 is reliable

1 minute ago, insert_name said:

currently nasa doesn't have rockets, American aerospace companies do. And better is subjective, falcon 9 is cost effective,  delta 4 has high payload, and atlas 5 is reliable

Yup. Agreed.

This guy did a heck of a job on this one.   Great footage.  

Random question:   Could the Falcon9 theoretically skip the re-entry burn on these RTLS flights? I wonder which is more taxing aero/heat load wise. An RTLS with no reentry burn or a ballistic flight with an entry burn?

Edited by Motokid600

Everybody else keep seating on edge when watching these things, thinking that this time it will blow up for sure?

And then every small spark, flame, smoke, detail means "yup, it's gone...damn."

I still like watching airplanes taking off/ landing, but it just doesn't have the edge-of-your-seat excitement of a SpaceX rocket launch. I wonder if the risk is half the reason, especially since I can't help thinking that so much is riding on a SpaceX rocket (beside the actual payload).

Maybe it's because the video usually cuts out on the ASDS footage, but I was kinda worried with the RCS going strong immediately post landing thinking there was a gear failure.

12 minutes ago, tater said:

Maybe it's because the video usually cuts out on the ASDS footage, but I was kinda worried with the RCS going strong immediately post landing thinking there was a gear failure.

Its all a conspiracy . . . . . .

LOL, I think it's that the only time I remember the RCS firing a lot post landing was the ASDS landing where it tipped over. :)

The RTLS modality meant that we had a nice, steady cam view where the entire booster was clearly visible. I can only assume this happened in the other landings but I missed it.

20 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Whoooo!!!!!!!! Hopefully we can see a daytime land landing sometime :)

With at least two cameras used for the footage, you had a pretty good look at this one.  I was expecting another night landing like the last one "and for my next trick, I will make a rocket appear [smoke and bright lights ... smoke clears] tada! A rocket."

Yet another great job SpaceX !

6 hours ago, tater said:

I thought that was some venting or so ?

13 minutes ago, YNM said:

I thought that was some venting or so ?

Yeah, I'm sure it was. Like I said, on the recent landings, I don't remember seeing the top of the stage, so I guess I just missed it.

14 hours ago, tater said:

LOL, I think it's that the only time I remember the RCS firing a lot post landing was the ASDS landing where it tipped over. :)

The RTLS modality meant that we had a nice, steady cam view where the entire booster was clearly visible. I can only assume this happened in the other landings but I missed it.

Probably as the stage tilts a bit forward and back while setting, the rcs will try to compensate for this until system understand it has landed.