Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

On 7/19/2016 at 0:33 PM, kerbiloid said:

Maybe the remains of cryoxygen?

Anything that's used for the RCS. If it's boiloff then that's it. If it's anything else then it's that anything else. The last landing that had the engine on fire was probably due to venting and dumping as well - better burned outside than explodes inside.

9 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Id be willing to say we will NEVER get clear video from the barge. From a drone yes. But from the barge? No. Itll always break up on landing. Radiowaves don't do well with the rocket sound.

The sea isn't as stable. I guess the main reason are vibrations and distance - unless the ASDS barge have another ship nearby for filming then it's hard.

Edited by YNM

14 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Id be willing to say we will NEVER get clear video from the barge. From a drone yes. But from the barge? No. Itll always break up on landing. Radiowaves don't do well with the rocket sound.

Where was the night landing video coming from?  The one that looked like a magic act "tada, rocket!"?  I'm pretty sure I've seen some post-landing video of a rocket on the barge, but can hardly claim that it was mounted on the barge and not on a drone.

15 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

It can't be that impossible where I would say "never". If we can have video from almost directly below a rocket launch, or even from the inside of a Tokamak, I'm sure we can have one of a rocket landing.

For that matter, why do we even need radio waves?

Edited by Lukaszenko

14 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

How do sound waves from the rocket (which travel through air) affect electromagnetic waves?

1 hour ago, Robotengineer said:

How do sound waves from the rocket (which travel through air) affect electromagnetic waves?

By rattling the barge, and by extension, the transmitters, messing up the signal.

7 hours ago, wumpus said:

Where was the night landing video coming from?  The one that looked like a magic act "tada, rocket!"?  I'm pretty sure I've seen some post-landing video of a rocket on the barge, but can hardly claim that it was mounted on the barge and not on a drone.

We get landing video from the barge after the fact just fine, once someone gets the memory card off the barge. Live video from the barge is always interrupted by the rocket blast. As well as the vibration, wouldn't the exhaust blast (granted, it's throttled down) be pretty close to plasma? That should mess up the signal too.

57 minutes ago, Rdivine said:

I know it's a bit late to ask this, but how fast was the stage flipped right after MECO? The boostback burn started pretty quickly.

Who faster you start boostback you shorter you go downrange so you should start it as soon as upper stage is safe and its engine blast is not an problem.

58 minutes ago, Rdivine said:

I know it's a bit late to ask this, but how fast was the stage flipped right after MECO? The boostback burn started pretty quickly.

I noticed that when I watched it. They were so close the exhaust from the two stages was hitting against each other.

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Video of full-length test fire from the launch/landing back in May:

very unhappy bird @1:35. 

That's amazing.

When is the relaunch scheduled for?

EDIT: by the end of the year apparently.

Edited by Veeltch

4 hours ago, Veeltch said:

That's amazing.

When is the relaunch scheduled for?

EDIT: by the end of the year apparently.

4 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

That was the first stage that landed really hard, which Elon called their "life-leader"?

Just checked, yeah, it's the "Life Leader" from the first GTO recovery. Looks to be working just fine to me!:cool:

Pretty sure Amos-6 was delayed into September, yes. Only one launch in August.

As for that stage they test fired? They did additional rounds in the following days. Three full-mission duration firings in three days, last I checked.

Edited by Streetwind

According to SpaceflightNow, JCSAT 16 goes up on the 14th August, with Amos-6 delayed into September (launch window to be determined), as Streetwind said. I normally find SpaceflightNow to be a reliable source.

Ah, yeah, seems AMOS did get delayed. Was going by NASAspaceflight forum thread titles, they are usually kept up to date but for some reason they still have the 22nd listed even though in the thread there is confirmation of the delay.

On 13.11.2015 at 10:53 PM, Hcube said:

Luckily that is forbidden... Otherwise i'm pretty sure LEO would already be crowded with orbital weapons

it sounds like a bad joke. keep clam, there is no orbatal weapons!! 

On 11/13/2015 at 1:01 PM, llanthas said:

Don't make me laugh like that, it hurts.. :D

There is absolutely nothing forbidden in war. See the US/Russian national stashes of chemical, bio, and nuclear weapons.

The US does not use biological or chemical weapons as they are hard to control and predict the effects of

Someone above said "Apollo sounds increasingly like science fiction." So true . . . I'm no expert and don't have strong opinions like some of you, but one sad truth I speculate on as a social scientist: the main reason the Apollo era (and the programs that led up to it) was so stunningly successful had nothing whatsoever to do with technology, economics or even "politics" generally speaking.

It had to do with "war," an ideological war between two superpowers who perceived one another as mutual threats and incompatible worldviews. This was the "fuel" that drove the space race, and this is what we lack today: a common cause.

I have little doubt that if some unforeseen problem that must be solved by vaulting humanities space faring abilities into the future (else some gigantic windfall profits to be had) arises, we will as a species once more make a giant leap.

Edited by Diche Bach
viddy