Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

23 hours ago, Shpaget said:

So, what could cause feed interruptions during landing?

Playlist switching delay.

I'm just joking, just joking!

23 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

AFAIK, the air around the base of the rocket is ionized during landing.

Isn't the same air ionized on a rocket launch? Engines power is 9 times greater.

10 hours ago, Veeltch said:

Why do they almost always lose the signal just before the landing on the barge? Do they not want to show it in case of a failure, or maybe super hot gas exhaust causes some sort of signal loss? If so, why?

A counterpart question: why this never happens on launch, under more stressed conditions?

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Playlist switching delay.

I'm just joking, just joking!

Isn't the same air ionized on a rocket launch? Engines power is 9 times greater.

A counterpart question: why this never happens on launch, under more stressed conditions?

Under launch you have multiple fixed cameras who use cables.
Under landing you have an single drone who use the barge as relay as they have limited range. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Under launch you have multiple fixed cameras who use cables.
Under landing you have an single drone who use the barge as relay as they have limited range. 

I understand. I mean: whether during space launch (Falcon, Shuttle, any) wi-fi network is down around the launch site?

Or, say when tactical missiles are launched, do they blind their command&conquercommunication?

Edited by kerbiloid

13 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

I understand. I mean: whether during space launch (Falcon, Shuttle, any) wi-fi network is down around the launch site?

Or, say when tactical missiles are launched, do they blind their command&conquercommunication?

Wifi probably get problems at the launchpad during a launch so you don't use it. 
Tactical rockets are much weaker and they can use more powerful transmitters, still most systems has an time before they can reliable communicate with missile. 

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Wi-Fi signals are generally omni-directional or at worst have a broad uni-directional beam, so they are relatively immune to vibration. (Not totally immune - pick up your network hub and shake it and some of your devices might well start dropping packets.) There is unlikely to be any wi-fi in the immediate vicinity of a launch-site, and any control signals will be sent from a building some distance from the pad, just in case of accidents.

The problem with the barge landings is that satellite video links have to be very precisely directional, and everything is very close to the actual landing so the vibrations are intense.

As @magnemoesaid, tactical rockets are weaker and use more powerful transmitters, plus they are using low-bandwidth telemetry systems, not high-bandwidth video. Similarly, tactical missiles are launched some distance from the control centre, and the control centres have dedicated landlines to communicate with the outside world. Interference is just not possible.

Yet another congratulations SpaceX, hopefully this won't worn out...

They should release all the recorded videos of the landing during the stream cutoff. Kinda annoying that all the barge cam is having it.

Alternately, the tech stream could include the velocity of S1 (they must be getting telemetry, right?) on the screen, maybe with a status.

we'd see the velocity drop to zero, then a green "landed" or something.

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The base of the rocket would be worse than the top, and the top is where the comms are (I think). Also, the cameras near the pad are farther away from the rocket than the ones on the barge.

3 hours ago, Lukaszenko said:

"Re-using space vehicles will help slow the proliferation of debris, which has become a substantial risk to space exploration."

…except the parts they're returning don't contribute to space debris since they're never in orbit.

Who/where is that quote from? Link?

Since it seems to be a hot issue, the stages do indeed clean up from landings real 'purdy, should they want them to look "fresh" for each flight(and I don't see why they wouldn't, unless its just to rub in the "this is a reused rocket!" part). 

http://spaceflightnow.com/2016/08/20/spacex-puts-historic-flown-rocket-on-permanent-display/

On August 7, 2016 at 11:27 AM, insert_name said:

The US does not use biological or chemical weapons as they are hard to control and predict the effects of

Not to mention nuclear for the same reason, they are a threat. The biggest post weapon cleanup was in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

53 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Aaaaand here we go: http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2016/22407810

SpaceX just signed its first commercial customer to fly on a returned booster! Rocket reusability is now officially not just talk-and-test anymore :)

SES hopes for October, SpaceX is more vague and just says "Q4 2016".

YES YES YES :D Hopefully it goes well