Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

6 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

The writer of the first article had a laughable knowledge of ricket science.  He literally called KeroLOX a non-conventional rocket fuel, even though it's the MOST conventional rocket fuel in existence (we used it back in the 60's on the Saturn rockets, for crying out loud).  He also wrongly stated that KeroLOX has less mass than HydroLOX (that's laughable, as the main reason HydroLOX is preferred is that you can use less mass of IT- although its reduced density means you need a bigger rocket to hold the same fuel mass...),  and seemed to think that KeroLOX is less tolerant of loiter times on the launchpad than HydroLOX due to its cryogenic nature  (HydroLOX is, of course,  *FAR* more cryogenic than KeroLOX).

Clearly, the writer was a moron.  Possibly he just assumed that whatever ULA's been doing is easier and more conventional, and that SpaceX must sonehow be doing the difficult and new thing with its fuel choice.  Which is, of course, the opposite of the truth (SpaceX does plenty of hard things, but opting for KeroLOX over HydroLOX is not one of them)- and thus really showcases that the writer was writing from complete and utter ignorance...  It's sad how little the media- including even many science writers- understand about rocketry...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

On 30.10.2016 at 6:02 PM, Elthy said:

SpaceX would have to develope a LEO optimised cargo version. The biggest problem with that is fitting a big fairing on top while still keeping the aerodynamics for reentry.

Why need a fairing at all? Just make a cargo bay like in Space Shuttle, go to orbit, open the cargo bay and release the payload, then return.

2 hours ago, Northstar1989 said:

The writer of the first article had a laughable knowledge of ricket science.  He literally called KeroLOX a non-conventional rocket fuel, even though it's the MOST conventional rocket fuel in existence (we used it back in the 60's on the Saturn rockets, for crying out loud).  He also wrongly stated that KeroLOX has less mass than HydroLOX (that's laughable, as the main reason HydroLOX is preferred is that you can use less mass of IT- although its reduced density means you need a bigger rocket to hold the same fuel mass...),  and seemed to think that KeroLOX is less tolerant of loiter times on the launchpad than HydroLOX due to its cryogenic nature  (HydroLOX is, of course,  *FAR* more cryogenic than KeroLOX).

Well, the writer got one thing right, that the propellants expand if allowed time to warm up. What he left out is that kerosene is chilled (not how kerosene used to be handled) and the lox is chillled far below the boiling point, which is also unusual. All to increase the density and the mass of propellants that can be packed on board. 

7 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

What he left out is that kerosene is chilled (not how kerosene used to be handled) and the lox is chillled far below the boiling point, which is also unusual. All to increase the density and the mass of propellants that can be packed on board. 

Still not getting how that works.  Chilling cryogenics shouldn't increase their density hardly at all.  In fact I had a long debate over on the RealFuels thread a year back because, not realizing LOX and most rocket fuels are incompressible, I spent a long time arguing that chilling or pressurizing LOX *should* increase its density, based on a bit of stubborness and a knowledge-gap I'm not proud of...

Unless the LOX is superchilled to the point some of it freezes into a slurry.  That's a different story...

Also, this reminds me- whatever happened to the idea of adding tiny bits of aluminum powder to the fuel supply of rockets to increase the fuel-density?  Aluminum powder burns quite violently, and it sounded like a nice way to get a fuel-density closer to hypergolics without any of the nasty toxicity issues those involve, and the higher fuel-density should make up for lost ISP, and then some, at least on launch stages...

EDIT:  And I guess I was right way back when.  Durther research shows LOX can increase in density more than 10% if chilled enough,  and by 1-2% if pressurized enough. <REDACTED BY MODERATOR >

Edited by Frybert
Redaction

Tiny solid particels sound like a great way to corrode turbines and injectors, the opposite of reusability. Also i remember "Ignition!" stating that they had a realy hard time having the metall powder staying evenly distributed in the fuel.

22 hours ago, Northstar1989 said:

Still not getting how that works.  Chilling cryogenics shouldn't increase their density hardly at all.  In fact I had a long debate over on the RealFuels thread a year back because, not realizing LOX and most rocket fuels are incompressible, I spent a long time arguing that chilling or pressurizing LOX *should* increase its density, based on a bit of stubborness and a knowledge-gap I'm not proud of...

Well, from this site I found this chart, which shows an 8.8% difference in density over the liquid temperature range. Nothing to sneeze at

Densities of liquid oxygen 

Temperature, ° Abs Temperature, ° C Density.
68.0 -205 1.2489
70.0 -203 1.2393
74.0 -199 1.2200
78.0 -195 1.2008
80.0 -193 1.1911
82.0 -191 1.1815
86.0 -187 1.1623
89.0 -184 1.1479

Edit: Increasing density through chilling is quite different than increasing density by compressing.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

How could there ever been any doubt that cooling LOX increases its density? That is true for pretty much any liquid, that water behaves differently below 4°C is what makes it special.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/as-trump-takes-over-nasa-considers-alternatives-to-its-orion-spacecraft/

Nevertheless, three sources familiar with the RFI, who agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity, told Ars there is more to the request than a simple extension for Orion’s primary contractor, Lockheed Martin. Perhaps most radically, the RFI may even open the way for a competitor, such as Boeing or SpaceX, to substitute its own upgraded capsule for Orion in the mid-2020s.

later...

The RFI clearly leaves the door open to other alternatives, however. The original structure of NASA’s contract with Lockheed Martin is such that NASA “owns” the design work when it is completed, so another contractor, if it could demonstrate a compelling cost advantage, could take over for Exploration Mission-3 and beyond.

I don't think SpaceX (or any other of Musk companies) will be beneficed by any of the Trump Government big decisions. But entering in that would be entering in politics. I don't know how to talk about a politics controlled program without talking about politics :huh:

Commercial space is very much along the lines of where the new administration has said they want to go (there was a recent space news article about possible space policy net year) (I'm making a concerted effort to not even name people, etc, and certainly not discussing the merits either way). The fact I linked above is a fact, however, and they must have their reasons.

On 10/15/2016 at 11:19 AM, tater said:

This part of NASA's url is simply awful: "nasa-shakes-up-orion-test-article-for-the-journey-to-mars". This constant conflation of Orion with Mars is absurd. NatGeo kids had a Mars issue my son just got, and there is, I kid you not, a picture of an orion capsule on Mars. Resting on the heat shield, after chute deployment. As if that would work. That's what reporters and an artist hired by National Geographic thought---largely because of hyperbole like the link above.

Don't blame NatGeo, they're too stupid to understand. 

Could be going to Texas test facility.

The return to flight mission is either Echostar from KSC or Iridium from VAFB. I don't think it's been confirmed yet which one will fly first. But in any case the stages go to Texas first.

Edited by Karriz

You're mean :-) Seemingly they are preparing for flight again.

Spacing:

According to this page some satellites in stationary orbit are "just" 73km apart, debris not counted. Seems like at some time a coordinating position is needed to administer slots and spacing or we really get a lot of new "open clusters" ... population III :-) ?