Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

2 hours ago, cfds said:

Why do people call it an "experienced booster"?

Because it sounds much greater than "second hand".

Oops, kinda ninja'd.

P.S.
If Mother Nature had wanted the rockets to re-fly, ULA would already have twenty.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

If Mother Nature had wanted the rockets to re-fly, ULA would already have twenty.

Why? They are not straight competitors to SpaceX. ULA sells extreme reliability for billion dollar probes and satellites and SpaceX sells cheap launches for companies with more kerbal attitude (and lack of money). Reusability benefits far more SpaceX than ULA at relatively near future.

45 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

The problem with this is they decided to make it SSTO, for some odd reason.

Yes, also the wikipedia site contains some weird stuff. You can do an bottom first return with an first stage, you can also do significant cross range burns this way as Spacex has shown with its first stages. 
However for orbital reentry I don't think the engines will like this, note that the mars colonial transporter upper stage is planned to do an sideways reentry space shuttle style before reorienting to an bottom first mode for landing. 
And again you do not want to do an rocket SSTO on Earth. The idea is stupid don't try. More advanced engines like Skylon might work but not rockets.
Yes it works in KSP however orbital speed in KSP is 2.2 km/s, This is close to the speed the falcon 9 first stage reach, so yes an falcon 9 could put its second stage and a payload in orbit in KSP, then do an deorbit burn and land back on pad, 

10 hours ago, cfds said:

Why do people call it an "experienced booster"? This sounds more like an expression for "Marketing & Propaganda" than "Science & Spaceflight"...

"Experienced" booster is my choice of words, not SpaceX'. Kind of like the "experienced"golf balls you can buy at the golf course. Except these have already  scored a hole-in-one. 

21 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

"Experienced" booster is my choice of words, not SpaceX'. Kind of like the "experienced"golf balls you can buy at the golf course. Except these have already  scored a hole-in-one. 

Back before golf balls got the dimples golfers found that old beaten up balls performed better as they had groves and pits in the surface who improved aerodynamic. 
With modern balls I don't think this is an issue any longer and used balls would perform worse. 

However complex mechanical stuff like hard drives, cars or rockets tend to have an bath tube graph of failures. In the start you get plenty of fails, this drops off fast and you enter the reliable mid life of product until it ages and number of fails start to increase again. An first stage who has worked once is more likely to work the next time than one who is new. 
This is also the reasons why you do static tests of engines and stages. 

23 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

With modern balls I don't think this is an issue any longer and used balls would perform worse. 

Actually, they sell used balls to the hackers as a cheaper alternative to losing brand new balls. I think I've bought my own ball back a time or two. 

17 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Actually, they sell used balls to the hackers as a cheaper alternative to losing brand new balls. I think I've bought my own ball back a time or two. 

Yes this is the other part, players looses balls, many are recovered during maintenance and these balls get sold. 
However the experienced ball name probably dates back to before golf balls had dimples.  

14 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And just when you though this thread had already reached the absolute nadir of off-topic-ness, it's now devolved into discussing each other's balls. no.gif

Erm...Yeah. If you want to talk golf you're more than welcome to open a golf thread in the lounge. Lets get back to spaceballsx please. :)

1 hour ago, Frybert said:

Lets get back to spaceballsx please.

You just had to go there, didn't you? <_<

45 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Any more guesses regarding the short launch window?

IIRC, CRS-7 (the one that blew up while carrying the docking adaptor to the ISS) also had instantaneous launch window.

I think it's the nature of the very specific (and low) orbits they launched to. Getting a Comsat to its final GSO orbit typically takes weeks, so there's a lot more fudge room there with the initial, and very temporary, launch orbit. 

The bigger question: are they gonna clean and paint the, ahem, veteran booster for SES? :D

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Any more guesses regarding the short launch window?

Well, if my guess of lining up with the barge was incorrect, my second guess would be the oxidizer loading. Not sure when they started but I don't recall the short windows prior to the FT'S, and I do recall a delay (involving a boat) after loading started to have caused an issue just after ignition. If it's not either of those reasons, then I'll have to say I have no idea.

18 minutes ago, Frybert said:

I do recall a delay (involving a boat) after loading started to have caused an issue just after ignition. If it's not either of those reasons, then I'll have to say I have no idea.

I'm pretty sure that was the SES-9 mission back in March. If I recall correctly, the launch was initially delayed because of a boat in the danger zone, but by the time it exited the zone, the LOX had warmed up too much for the F9 to launch, I think.