Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Now that's really awesome, it also means that people will likely take SpaceX more seriously in a Mars mission.

Who's going up though?

Also, I'll get to see a manned Moon flight :D

Spoiler

If you can't tell, I was born well after the Apollo era

4 minutes ago, insert_name said:

They could beat NASA to it potentially

Pretty much certainly, even if in Musk fashion they are a couple years behind schedule, frankly. There is about zero chance of EM-1 before 2019 at this point anyway, and I doubt they send crew.

How long until I can go to the Moon? Does it count as studying abroad for college?

More seriously, this will make a lot of kids and adults alike think "I want to do that!" which is really good for spaceflight. I wonder if they'll do a moon landing at some point? FH would be capable of it, judging by mass alone.

Edited by cubinator

3 minutes ago, cubinator said:

How long until I can go to the Moon? Does it count as studying abroad for college?

More seriously, this will make a lot of kids and adults alike think "I want to do that!" which is really good for spaceflight. I wonder if they'll do a moon landing at some point? FH would be capable of it, judging by mass alone.

I was thinking that two FH could do a lunar landing, if Masten Space systems gets involved, they could get a lander.

Just to be the devil's advocate here, does this go in the same pile of SpaceX announcements as "we're going to launch the Falcon Heavy in 2016"?

EDIT: or indeed "we're going to launch the FH in 2013 or 2014" as per the original plan circa 2011

Edited by Steel

15 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Well, this is an interesting development, especially in light of the minor hullabaloo about EM-1.

Exactly what i thought, it almost seems like trolling...

1 minute ago, Steel said:

Just to be the devil's advocate here, does this go in the same pile of SpaceX announcements as "we're going to launch the Falcon Heavy in 2016"?

"Late 2018" (holy crap 2018 is next year) could turn into "Mid 2019" pretty easily but they'll probably still do it.

Next year ? Maybe in Elon Time™, but not in our universe. SpaceX really needs to stop adding more goalposts and start striking a few goals. At this stage, the hype is starting to look like the Russian space program.

Dragon2 hasn't flown yet. Falcon Heavy hasn't flown yet. I doubt anyone would be crazy or confident enough to put humans on the maiden flight of a new rocket and a new spacecraft. Even man-rating Falcon 9, at this stage, seems a bit premature with its current flight record. They really need to get a couple of test flights in there first, including at least one unmanned circumlunar flight to test reentry. It would be really suicidal otherwise.

Also, this means that Dragon2 is going to be get all new inertial navigation and deep space comm systems. No more reliance on GPS and TDRS.

If they do manage to do a manned circumlunar flight before SLS/Orion, it will certainly a bit of a humiliation for NASA.

Edited by Nibb31

9 minutes ago, Nothalogh said:

I know, right?

Reveal hidden contents

Different day and age. STS-1 was still the Cold War, it couldn't fly unmanned, and the Orbiter had gone through years of development test flights. And it wasn't flying a 6-day mission around the freaking Moon on its first flight either.

Edited by Nibb31

3 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

Next year ? Maybe in Elon Time™, but I seriously doubt it.

Dragon2 hasn't flown yet. Falcon Heavy hasn't flown yet. I doubt anyone would be crazy or confident enough to put humans on the maiden flight of a new rocket and a new spacecraft. Even man-rating Falcon 9, at this stage, seems a bit premature with its current flight record. They really need to get a couple of test flights in there first, including at least one unmanned circumlunar flight. It's really too crazy otherwise.

Also, this means that Dragon2 is going to be get all new inertial navigation and deep space comm systems. No more reliance on GPS and TDRS.

And a heat shield capable of reentry from the Moon, and all of the rest. Okay, they may skip the larger service module with extra propulsion, if they just go for a free return.

This sounds a bit like the Russian Zond Moon program: Get "some" spacecraft with "some" astronauts on "some" trip to the Moon so that we can say we have beaten NASA.