Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

4 hours ago, WildLynx said:

May be this robot's purpose is not to secure landed rocket stage, but to catch and secure stage landing without legs? Remember Mars Colonial Transporter presentation ... I doubt this robot can fit between legs of already landed rocket and also under the engines.

Unlikely. It is hard enough to land with precision on a swaying deck already. 

8 hours ago, WildLynx said:

May be this robot's purpose is not to secure landed rocket stage, but to catch and secure stage landing without legs? Remember Mars Colonial Transporter presentation ... I doubt this robot can fit between legs of already landed rocket and also under the engines.

The robot is there to minimize the risk of landing stages tipping over, by attaching these 4 arms to the octaweb of the stage as far as we know. This minimizes the risk for crew which previously had to get on the vessel and safe it, this should help reduce the risk.

So it looks like the robot will drive up to the landed stage and grab it from below?

Why don't they add telescopic poles with wires to secure it? I'm pretty sure I saw a gif presenting the concept. Let me find it.

E: I couldn't find it. I know I saw it in Messenger gifs somewhere.

BTW do we know the cost of the reused stage launch?

Edited by Veeltch

7 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

The robot is there to minimize the risk of landing stages tipping over, by attaching these 4 arms to the octaweb of the stage as far as we know. This minimizes the risk for crew which previously had to get on the vessel and safe it, this should help reduce the risk.

That's what I thought it was for the moment I saw the pics. Worries me that they were moving the barge without it!

21 hours ago, DMagic said:

SpaceFlight Now still has SpaceX listed for March 29, and no date listed for the Atlas V. So maybe they just lost their spot in line.

Why is there a line, anyway? What part of the launching infrastructure has to be shared?

6 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Why is there a line, anyway? What part of the launching infrastructure has to be shared?

The Air Force blowing up your crappy broken rocket part of the infrastructure.

23 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

So "range safety"? I was guessing water supply and/or fire fighting.

Yup, @DMagic's right. In fact, SpaceX had been quietly developing a new system to automatically blow up their own crappy broken rockets with the specific aim of speeding turnaround time at the Cape.  ULA, et al, would get a similar thing too. SX and the Air Force have said it might eventually make two launches in a day possible. 

48 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Yup, @DMagic's right. In fact, SpaceX had been quietly developing a new system to automatically blow up their own crappy broken rockets with the specific aim of speeding turnaround time at the Cape.  ULA, et al, would get a similar thing too. SX and the Air Force have said it might eventually make two launches in a day possible. 

It's not a SpaceX system, it's an air force system. The first gen was flying in shadow mode on some of Orbital's rockets around the time SpaceX was founded. It's been a long time coming.

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Range :P

And they take quite some time to switch from one to another launch vehicle...although SpaceX AFTS speeds that process up  a little. Range is limiting factor. They use some very old tech there

43 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

As a European I really don't get why Americans do that. :-P

Looking forward to the launch!

Because, of course, our nationalism is the best nationalism anywhere, and nobody has ever seen nationalism as best as our nationalism. God gave us the best nationalism because we are the best. And anything that we can attribute to our nationalism is best.

Even if the dude is from South Africa.