Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

99% of the times it actually flew into space. I didn't count Challenger, since it was a launch failure.

My point was that landing is starting to look routine for SpaceX (awesome), but it was also looking pretty routine for Shuttle, since it succeeded 99.28% of the times it was trying to reenter/land.

I hope SpaceX exceeds this, though at one level it doesn't matter, since it's just a thing, there are no crew at risk.

The key plus for human spaceflight when the craft are capsules with LES is that many of the failures of the past are survivable in a way they are not with aircraft, unless you have an ejection system like the B-58 ejection capsule for all the crew. The sort of heat shield damage that doomed Columbia would not happen with a capsule, since there is little chance of damage when it is covered---that would take something like a SM explosion.

1 hour ago, tater said:

99% of the times it actually flew into space. I didn't count Challenger, since it was a launch failure.

My point was that landing is starting to look routine for SpaceX (awesome), but it was also looking pretty routine for Shuttle, since it succeeded 99.28% of the times it was trying to reenter/land.

Sure. I was pointing out that the act of landing an unpowered rocket plane on a runway was, even for the time, fairly uncontroversial. Pilots had been landing rocket planes as gliders for a while and no one doubted it was possible. In contrast, restarting a kerosene engine while dropping through the sky and landing a 14-story booster with a T/W > 1 wasn't nearly so...routine.

12 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Sure. I was pointing out that the act of landing an unpowered rocket plane on a runway was, even for the time, fairly uncontroversial. Pilots had been landing rocket planes as gliders for a while and no one doubted it was possible. In contrast, restarting a kerosene engine while dropping through the sky and landing a 14-story booster with a T/W > 1 wasn't nearly so...routine.

Perhaps, but neither was re-entering something as massive as the shuttle orbiter. As impressive as SpaceX's booster landings are, they are really just an incremental (although fairly substantial) improvement to the SRB recovery system.

Bear in mind that something in LEO has to dissipate on the order of 32 megajoules PER KILOGRAM during re-entry while SpaceX's first stage only has to dissipate about 20% of that during its landing.

29 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

Perhaps, but neither was re-entering something as massive as the shuttle orbiter. As impressive as SpaceX's booster landings are, they are really just an incremental (although fairly substantial) improvement to the SRB recovery system.

Bear in mind that something in LEO has to dissipate on the order of 32 megajoules PER KILOGRAM during re-entry while SpaceX's first stage only has to dissipate about 20% of that during its landing.

I'd not compare them to dumping the SRBs in the surf at all. An incremental improvement on DCX, yes. SRBs? No.

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Sure. I was pointing out that the act of landing an unpowered rocket plane on a runway was, even for the time, fairly uncontroversial.

Not any that were so big and heavy, however.

1 hour ago, PakledHostage said:

No, that's not true. Making a controlled landing is nothing like a popping a parachute on the SRB.

There are a whole host of technologies used in a BO or SX powered landing that simply didn't exist when the shuttle was being designed. First of all, the computing power and speed necessary to control the landing didn't exist in a launchable package then. The precision GPS guidance wasn't available either. It took lots of practice with development programs and also a huge increase in autonomous robotic computing power to even have a chance at doing something so complex.

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

No, that's not true. Making a controlled landing is nothing like a popping a parachute on the SRB.

I didn't say that it was. Please don't put words in my mouth... I said it was a very substantial but still incremental improvement, in so far as they are recovering the first stage. One that is nowhere near orbital when it separates. How SpaceX do that is obviously more impressive and technically challenging than "popping a parachute". It would be stupid to suggest otherwise.

Edited by PakledHostage

Nothing about SRB recovery incremented to F9 booster recovery. What incremented from SRB? Separating from a vehicle heading to orbit. That's the only thing the 2 have in common. SRBs had no control systems, they fell where they fell. Reuse? Not even remotely similar, either.

To be an incremental improvement, you'd think that they'd have something in common past being "stages."

We had this discussion every few weeks over the last years. Can we please have those discussions (both vs. Shuttle and Blue Origin) in another thread and keep this thread about news regarding SpaceX?

Edited by Elthy

Splashdown was spacex initial idea but it would not work, it did not work well for shuttle either as the steel tube is cheap both recovery and the other part of the srb is more expensive, yes it might get a tiny saving but not much.

And no powered landings is nothing new, all the moon probes used powered landings.

Edited by Dman979
Edited to remove references to deleted posts

7 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

And no powered landings is nothing new, all the moon probes used powered landings.

Powered landings with in-air restart of a launch engine following atmospheric re-entry with TWR > 1 is different than the touchdowns of the LM Descent Stage. Very different.

That's all anyone was saying. It's like comparing a nuclear submarine to a speedboat simply because they both move through the water and have engines driving screws.

11 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

That's all anyone was saying. It's like comparing a nuclear submarine to a speedboat simply because they both move through the water and have engines driving screws.

And to reiterate, my original statement was intentional hyperbole. Many people (especially in this thread) seem inclined to overstate the significance of SpaceX's achievements while understating the accomplishments of the Shuttle program. Falcon 9's first stage is far, far from orbital when it separates. You just can't compare it's re-entry and landing to that of the space shuttle, full stop. 

Don't get me wrong, I like watching a SpaceX launch as much as the next guy, but I am not blinded by my fanboyism nor my political ideology.

Edited by PakledHostage

8 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

Many people (especially in this thread) seem inclined to overstate the significance of SpaceX's achievements while understating the accomplishments of the Shuttle program. Falcon 9's first stage is far, far from orbital when it separates. You just can't compare it's re-entry and landing to that of the space shuttle, full stop.

Well, at the risk of sounding obtuse...

...why did you?

36 minutes ago, Elthy said:

We had this discussion every few weeks over the last years. Can we please have those discussions (both vs. Shuttle and Blue Origin) in another thread and keep this thread about news regarding SpaceX?

I expect a debate over which end of a boiled egg to open to break out here at any moment.  <_<

46 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

And to reiterate, my original statement was intentional hyperbole. Many people (especially in this thread) seem inclined to overstate the significance of SpaceX's achievements while understating the accomplishments of the Shuttle program. Falcon 9's first stage is far, far from orbital when it separates. You just can't compare it's re-entry and landing to that of the space shuttle, full stop. 

Don't get me wrong, I like watching a SpaceX launch as much as the next guy, but I am not blinded by my fanboyism nor my political ideology.

I've overstated nothing at all, I have merely corrected silly comparisons to Shuttle (in both directions, I might add, I pointed out that shuttle (Orbiter) was reused many times, up thread, so F9 was nothing special in that regard).

More important in this particular case would probably be actual cost savings. We have only one data point on F9, and according to a statement up in Colorado Springs, the refurb of the SES-10 booster was significantly less than the cost of a new one (and that as the first reflight, it was refurbed much more than any subsequent ones will be). Since the cost of an F9 launch has about ~70% as the booster cost, saving the booster is a meaningful savings. Comparing to Shuttle SRBs is absurd, as they at best broke even with the cost of a new SRB, and I doubt that calculation  includes the REAL cost of SRB reuse, which includes a main tank, the Orbiter, Challenger, and her crew, plus the costs of maintaining the program during loss of flight afterwards. Had they used monolithic SRBs they would have eliminated all the failure modes associated with segments. I cannot imagine reuse after a bath in saltwater reduced SRB failure modes any.

Regarding total cost savings, I have never consumed the SpaceX or BO koolaid, I have said before in this thread that any such claim will require actual data---which means many SpaceX reuse flights, and some real numbers. I think it's plausible, but aside from loving the landings for sheer cool factor, and the love of "disruption" to the otherwise staid space industry, I am no fanboy (and I haven't seen politics in this thread at all).

Edited by tater

5 hours ago, Dman979 said:

... and let's keep this about SpaceX, folks.

Yeah, good luck with making that happen! :D

But to start it off, here's a cool montage video about the lifes and travels of the recently reused first stage, shown yesterday at the 33rd Space Symposium:

(Here's hoping we'll get it on the official SpaceX account soon.)