Aethon

Blue Origin Thread (merged)

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Meanwhile 12000.

http://parabolicarc.com/2017/03/03/spacex-launch-12000-satellites/#more-60879

(Be jealous, unbelievers!)

P.S.
Probably the boring company builds a gatling.

Reminds me of the 4g frequency auctions we had in the early 2k's in Europe. Only now they aren't buying even air with their billions, just empty space.

Bezos is set to speak at the Satellite conference tomorrow, and is apparently to announce a lot of extra details, including confirming some specific customers. Seems some of it is coming out early.

Ah yes apparently spacex are launching a manned mission to moon in 2020. Yet there's something shady about the whole spacex program.

...And that's when the Moon turns out to be no moon after all, and vaporizes him with a superlaser in disgust. :D

Meanwhile, we're edging closer to Echostar-23, currently NET this Sunday, March 12th. We haven't heard anything in a good while though. The rocket should be at KSC already, but there's not been a mention of a planned static fire yet.

Posted (edited)

Static fire is NET today. Window 18:00-00:00 EST

also, the new 7518 add to the 4425 for 11,943 not 12,000.

Edited by DarthVader

This just happened.

I can't wait for this to fly :D

Bezos' talk is happening now, details are coming out. NG capability is 45 tons to LEO and 13 to GTO.

18 minutes ago, Kryten said:

Bezos' talk is happening now, details are coming out. NG capability is 45 tons to LEO and 13 to GTO.

Where? There isn't a Livestream on their YT.

Just now, Spaceception said:

Where? There isn't a Livestream on their YT.

It's not streamed. I've just been following along via twitter.

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

Who the heck needs an HLV for a COMMSAT?

Just now, _Augustus_ said:

Maybe there's something in that payload we don't know about...

Spoiler

GUEST_8615113527_1222340320.gif

2 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

With 13T to GTO, you can put a pretty freakin big commsat up there

3 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

The heaviest commsats already weigh more than 5 tonnes and are mostly limited in terms of weight by their launch vehicles. And considering Blue Origin probably wants a bit of extra margin for the first flight, using New Glenn for a commsat launch isn't the worst idea (especially, since Echostar probably gets a nice price for a launch on top of an untested rocket).

Just now, _Augustus_ said:

Why is there a Jupiter 256 in there?

It's a Jupiter-241 actually. 2 stages, 4 RS-25s on the first stage and 1 J-2X upper stage engine. I just threw it in for funsies (= But let's not derail the topic, GO NEW GLENN! :)

Posted (edited)

Does the increase size somehow allow them to use regular flight surfaces for attitude control? ( having remembered ITS using grid-fins after typing this ) I thought the whole reason SpaceX went with the grid-fin was to survive hyper-sonic flight? Wouldn't such control surfaces be ripped off if any input was applied? Or... will it just not be used at high speeds and slowly as the rocket decelerates more and more authority can be applied...? Maybe? Lol. A VERY interesting deign and I love it. With those "wings" i dare say this thing will have more cross range capability then the F9. However I'm highly skeptical of the extent of "artistic liberty" taken to this model and animation. Although I suppose control surfaces with that much area wouldnt need to move much.

The moving barge is interesting as well. Could give needed extra stability given the NGs far lesser, uh.. leg stance? Deploy width? Whats the word for that? :P

Edited by Motokid600

Woke up to JB's pics of a completed BE-4 being wheeled around the Blue Origin warehouse.

A brand new methalox rocket engine.

It was a good day.

Very interested to find out the isp and thrust on the test stand later this year. (RO prelim config has isp : 310/335)

What is the engine mass?... 2.5t? would give a twr close to ssme, and rd-180.

(re video of new glenn : control surfaces on the booster!)

Time to cook up some RO sims for new glenn and see if we can get 45t to LEO.

Nice. Very nice. Things in the private space sector are gaining momentum. Maybe, with increased competition other companies too will move forward at increased pace (i'm looking at you - ULA and Arianespace).

Very interesting how BO went directly from small suborbital New Shepard to metholox Falcon Heavy competitor. Does anyone know what will be the cost per kg for New Glenn?

Posted (edited)

Motokid600 already picked up two of my first thoughts on that vid: grid fins and moving landing platform.

My other thought was that that is an excessive amount of cowling around those engines.

As a two stage launcher it doesn't quite compare to falcon heavy to LEO or GTO, yet is much bigger. I guess the difference comes if they can stick a third stage on it'll have greater potential beyond earth orbit (Falcon is pretty much at structural limits).

Certainly interested in seeing how they do though, and a second launcher in the 45t to LEO range makes it more likely the full payload of falcon heavy will be used, as sat operators like redundant options.

Edited by RCgothic