Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

5 minutes ago, BadMunky said:

Four more launches of the same booster and they will have caught up to Blue Origin.

Not disparaging Blue Origin in the slightest - what they've done is impressive and I look forward to seeing New Glenn flying and landing. But there's really no comparison between a hop over the Karman line and returning the first stage of an orbital booster in terms of velocities, thermal loads on the airframe, aerodynamic stress and probably a whole bunch of other stuff that I know nothing about.

I wouldn't have thought any of this needed to be pointed out on a KSP forum though.

A Blue Origin's video animation from 2015 shows the solid rocket escape motor with handholds at about the 2:24 point:

Be careful to mind your head while floating though!

Eo73Ux.gif

Edited by Exoscientist

56 minutes ago, BadMunky said:

Four more launches of the same booster and they will have caught up to Blue Origin.

When BO manages an orbital flight, they will have caught up to SpaceX almost 9 years ago:

spacexfalcon.jpg

Falcon 1.

As @KSK said, NS and F9 are not remotely comparable in capability. X-15 flew to space twice, but it flew (often within spitting distance of the Karman line) 62 other times.

I should add that I'm the one that started the Blue Origin version of THIS thread, so I'm not attacking BO in the least, I like them, and expect that they will do great things. The whole "first reused to space" kerfuffle bugged me a little, since X-15 certainly did it first (both the X-15, and the B-52 carrier were reused, after all (easily, like aircraft)). On top of that, X-15 did it manned.

Shuttle did it what, 139 times? Also manned.

Edited by tater

9 minutes ago, tater said:

*snip*

I should add that I'm the one that started the Blue Origin version of THIS thread, so I'm not attacking BO in the least, I like them, and expect that they will do great things. The whole "first reused to space" kerfuffle bugged me a little, since X-15 certainly did it first (both the X-15, and the B-52 carrier were reused, after all (easily, like aircraft)). On top of that, X-15 did it manned.

SpaceX - better than starting manned? :wink:

Aye. Blue Origin's achievements are definitely impressive and I give them all kinds of props for that, but honestly every various attempt at reusability is the "first" for its own reasons. DC-X, Grasshopper, and F9dev (along with a few others) beat BO to VTVL rocketry. Earlier Falcon 9 launches beat BO to in-air restarts of launch vehicles during atmospheric re-entry. The X-15 and the Shuttle beat BO to intact recovery of a powered exoatmospheric vehicle.

Blue Origin can lay claim to being the first company to launch a rocket vertically beyond the Karman line and return it to a vertical propulsive landing. Good for them. But we all stand on the shoulders of giants.

Edited by sevenperforce

9 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Glowing red-hot - or reflecting the red-orange light from the engine exhaust?

It's a tossup, but I think it's the former. The light is brighter closer to the stage wall, which is what we'd expect if it was radiating away heat but not if it was reflecting something at the bottom of the stage.

The color temperature is also a lot warmer than the exhaust reflection would be.

31 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

It's a tossup, but I think it's the former. The light is brighter closer to the stage wall, which is what we'd expect if it was radiating away heat but not if it was reflecting something at the bottom of the stage.

The color temperature is also a lot warmer than the exhaust reflection would be.

I don't think so, it's gotta just be reflection. Aluminum melts before it gets hot enough to glow. IIRC Musk said what we saw blazing on the video was the paint burning off. 

Source: I've melted my share of aluminum. Occasionally intentionally. 

11 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I don't think so, it's gotta just be reflection. Aluminum melts before it gets hot enough to glow. IIRC Musk said what we saw blazing on the video was the paint burning off. 

Source: I've melted my share of aluminum. Occasionally intentionally. 

Incandescence begins around 500 C for most metals and Al doesn't melt until 660 C. But I suppose Al would be hella weak at that temperature.

1 hour ago, DerekL1963 said:

Glowing red-hot - or reflecting the red-orange light from the engine exhaust?

Good point in that image. Before it cut out, the onboard video clearly showed the grid fins glowing, however, and block 5 is specifically addressing this issue, so even if that image is indeed a reflection, they're pretty hot, particularly this landing.

Edited by tater

16 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Incandescence begins around 500 C for most metals and Al doesn't melt until 660 C. But I suppose Al would be hella weak at that temperature.

Incandescence does, but its starts off as a fairly noticeable red until much higher temperatures.

Just now, sevenperforce said:

And the color I'm referencing is definitely a noticeable dull red.

glow.png

It looks orange to me! Unfortunately with computer monitors it's not really possible to tell exactly what colour either of us are seeing though, but my on my screen it looks orange! :P

33 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Incandescence begins around 500 C for most metals and Al doesn't melt until 660 C.

True - but the color of the incandescence varies with temperature independent of the composition of the metal.

metal-color-temp-chart-png.100306

Edited by DerekL1963

Aluminum (like all metals, as far as I know) loses strength long before it "melts". Using Ti instead of Al is a traditional aerospace engineering solution to any "it gets too hot" issue.

(Ti, however, is more chemically sensitive than Al, particularly to hydraulic fluid. I don't know if that's an issue for the grid fins or not.)