Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Back to the topic at hand, (BFR / MCT stuff can be found at http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127815-spacex-bfr-mct-discussion-thread/ )

So the RTF should also try to be a RTLS.  People have been saying that it wont be because the FAA has not approved it.  My question is CCAFS is a Military Range and thus should be a MOA and thus the FAA should have no jurisdiction over the USAF correct? or am i missing something?

Edited by B787_300

Man, this is one Launch/Landing/RTF that I would love to be able to see in person, but its an 8hr drive for me to the Cape... :(

I'm guessing that at this point a RTLS is almost guaranteed? Every source I've see says they are going to be returning, and haven't seen anything about the barge being prepped. 

Edited by Wingman703

7 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Just 8 Hour to the cape? You are lucky. Im planning to travel to the USA in 2018, one big reason is that i want to the the first SLS launch live...

I concur with this guy, @Wingman703, 8 hours is a perfect road trip. If that were all I'd never miss a launch (I'm about as far as one can get from FL and still be in the contiguous states). Fuel her up, have lots of beef jerky on hand, and bring back pictures!

Ehh, I'll give it a shot to see if I could pull it together, but its highly doubtful, what with an 8hr trip down, hour there, and then another 8hr trip back(unless I found somewhere cheap to crash for that night). If I do somehow manage to get down there, I will indeed be sure to take some pics. 

My greatest fear is that I would get down there and the launch would be scrubbed. 

1 hour ago, Wingman703 said:

Ehh, I'll give it a shot to see if I could pull it together, but its highly doubtful, what with an 8hr trip down, hour there, and then another 8hr trip back(unless I found somewhere cheap to crash for that night). If I do somehow manage to get down there, I will indeed be sure to take some pics. 

My greatest fear is that I would get down there and the launch would be scrubbed. 

You have to plan something else. I want to go down and see the launch too, but not unless there's something else I can do incase it gets scrubbed. ( And you know it will. Alot. ) I got family down there I can visit and then maybe Disney World or a tour of the KSC. So I'd go down there with that in mind then whatever happens happens with the launch.

It's an RTF launch, Florida's insane weather. No way it launches on the first try.

On 12/14/2015, 1:39:58, Wingman703 said:

How cheap is doable?

34 minutes ago, Frybert said:

http://www.jettyparkbeachandcampground.com/camp_index

If you can come up with another $17 you're in business! :cool:

Beat you too it, they require reservations a week in advance. Jetty Park is where I had planned to try and stake out a spot to watch the launch/landing however, as I don't see getting tickets for the viewing deck as possible(to many people, to few tickets I suspect...). 

Darn, didn't realize that. As far as the viewing deck, the fishing pier should do fine, and unless they've changed (its been a few years) you only need to pay to park there. If you park elsewhere and walk in you should be good (though I could be thinking of a different park as the pictures for this one seem different from what I remember, again its been about 7 or 8 years).

"SpaceX did not conduct a static test fire of the Hawthorne, California-based aerospace firm’s Falcon 9 v1.2 rocket today (Wednesday Dec. 16). This means the oft-stated Saturday Dec. 19 launch attempt, the first for the v1.2 version of the F9, and the return-to-flight mission for the rocket – will likely take place on a later date."

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/organizations/space-exploration-technologies/spacex-falcon-9-wont-launch-dec-19/

Argh. :(

Remember that this is the first flight of the v1.2 configuration. Launch processing will not be as smooth as usual. And considering that "usual" for SpaceX means at least one or two delays, the 19th was very tentative right from the start :P

44 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

Do they really plan a hot fire a Hawthorne and launch the same rocket 2 days later from Canaveral ? That can be possible.

No, they don't do such a thing. The drive from California to Florida on a flatbed truck alone would already take those 2 days, nevermind packing, unpacking and processing.

What they're actually doing:
- First stages and second stages are individually shipped from Hawthorne to the SpaceX McGregor test facility, Texas.
- First stages and second stages are individually tested at McGregor; this is called a "hotfire test" and lasts the full mission duration.
- First stages and second stages are individually shipped from McGregor to Cape Canaveral (ostensibly; sometimes they need to be shipped back to the factory first for tweaks).
- The two stages are mated with each other in the vehicle hangar (horizontal integration facility) at the Cape; afterwards, the payload and fairing are mated as well.
- The fully complete rocket is rolled out onto its launchpad, and goes through the full launch procedure, all the way to igniting the engines; only then the process is aborted. This is called a "static fire" test.
- The rocket is then rolled back into the hangar. If the static fire test was successful, the vehicle then undergoes the final Launch Readiness Review. If not, then problems are addressed and the static fire test is repeated until it succeeds.
- After the final review, the rocket is rolled back out onto the pad about half a day to a day before its launch window opens, and remains there until it either goes to space or scrubs.

Edited by Streetwind