Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Just want to add something that might be overlooked but that is actually of critical importance: after sat deployment, the upgraded second stage will test its reignition capability, which will be fundamental for the next launch (SES-9).

Edited by Frida Space

10 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

I think the fairing might provide structural support. I heard somewhere that the 2nd stage can get up to 6G's just before cutoff. [Citation needed]

Also, T-6 hours

Yeah, though the 2nd stage can throttle down to 39% which should lower the loads on the payload quite much. But the question now comes up, SpaceX already launched 6 of those satellites for Orbcomm, and there the payload weighted much less. OK, the engines were upgraded to now run at their maximal thrust setting, but that can't change the acceleration by that much that SpaceX lets the fairings on the launch vehicle until SECO, since on their first orbcomm mission, the fairings were deployed as usual (shortly after stage 2 ignition), right?

EDIT:

"Falcon 9 fairing separation time clarified. As expected, fairing comes off just after 2nd stage ignition about 3 minutes into flight." - Stephen Clark on Twitter

So yeah, seems like a simple printing error. A very strange on though...

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

58 minutes ago, justidutch said:

does anyone have an idea of how much velocity is lost during the 15 second delay of first stage engine cutoff and second stage engine start?

Can't be much at all if the airs thin enough for the first stage to do an about-face at a few thousand m/s. Maybe a dozen m/s? Negligible.

1 hour ago, justidutch said:

does anyone have an idea of how much velocity is lost during the 15 second delay of first stage engine cutoff and second stage engine start?

There's close to no drag, and it may even be a gain in efficiency if the 2nd stage comes closer to apoapsis and has a high enough TWR (i think)

1 hour ago, Wingman703 said:

yeah, launch and landing will be in darkness. 

Makes it easy to see the re-ignition of the first stage!

and.... explosions! but let's hope there will be none tonight :) Go Falcon, Go SpaceX!

Edited by Frida Space

Alright guys, while I wasn't going to make it out to the coast, I'm still going to go to a field near me where I should be able to get some decent long distance pictures. I just took a look outside and there is some cloud cover so I don't know how high quality, but I am going to try to go for SOMETHING.