Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

3 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I don't think so. I think these are the human-rating tests for the capsule as well as the rocket. But I also might be wrong.

I just never heard anything about the capsule. So a source would be nice.

The capsule is flight article, and they've now reused it twice.

There is no "man rating" in the NASA sense, it's man-rated when they say it is. They could throw one of their own crew on it at any time.

7 hours ago, tater said:

I thought they said they replace the chutes in the CC, and otherwise refuel and go. Tanks are not changed.

From their website about the 2d flgiht:

Well, that's quite withing the "same rocket" idea I have in my mind. Igniters are consumables and chutes are safety concern and not really relevant for the "rocket" part of the whole business.

57 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, not as ambitious as an orbital flight, but the vehicle is 100% reused except consumables.

That is fantastic. 

I wonder how long those tanks will last. Liquid hydrogen tears up metal horribly. I wonder if they are using a composite hydrogen tank...New Shepard has a really low dV compared to orbital-class rockets, so it can get away with a dramatically higher dry mass fraction.

As awesome as it is to demonstrate this kind of refuel-and-repeat performance, surely they are aware that it can't simply be scaled up. Logarithmic scaling is a cruel mistress. 

Edited by sevenperforce

And here is the Slickly Produced Video: 

That suicide burn landing is very impressive.  Too bad we only get to see the Slickly Produced Video, I'd love to see raw video of that landing from multiple angles.

21 hours ago, tater said:

The capsule is flight article, and they've now reused it twice.

There is no "man rating" in the NASA sense, it's man-rated when they say it is. They could throw one of their own crew on it at any time.

It's a bad idea, unless it approaches NASA standards, or better- CCAP isn't going to carry as many people as Blue's Space tourism, so the risk of losing someone is higher. I'd say it will be a long time before humans go into the rocket, and that's a good thing.

Yes, but again, their concept of rating acceptable requires what, exactly? This flight-article bird has flown 3 times now, perfectly. The capsule is really the least troublesome part (it has chutes, after all). How many flights did the Shuttle have before being man rated? 0. Saturn V flew 2 unmanned flights, and the 3d was manned (and Apollo 6, right before 7 had issues and was only partially successful). Gemini flew twice unmanned, then the 3d was manned. How many more unmanned before they're confident? 

4 minutes ago, tater said:

Yes, but again, their concept of rating acceptable requires what, exactly? This flight-article bird has flown 3 times now, perfectly.

That actually beats NASA's man rating system. In the 60s it was 2 consecutive launches without a catastrophic failure. For the shuttle it was "meh, it'll work".

9 minutes ago, Frybert said:

That actually beats NASA's man rating system. In the 60s it was 2 consecutive launches without a catastrophic failure. For the shuttle it was "meh, it'll work".

How much of the capsule systems were in each one, though? Is it gradual, or was each flight "all up?"

Edited by fredinno

4 minutes ago, tater said:

BO was all up, all 3 flights I think. They've done launch abort as well (from the ground, anyway).

Might as well put animals on the next one. Want to be extra-careful (tourists), and suborbital is less expensive than Orbital anyways.

Yeah, a manned failure would be terrible for a business that relies on good press. I'm not pushing for sooner, I'm just saying they've already done pretty well. Perhaps they'll test the first booster to destruction or end of life?

43 minutes ago, tater said:

Not that I could find. Maybe they are waiting for this booster to be near end of life before wasting it?

They can still do an in-flight abort test with a booster and land the booster too, along with the capsule. I think it more shows they aren't ready for crew yet.

Also, that land landing with chutes looks hard. Is that just for aborts or is that normal? Because the latter sounds pretty bad for tourists...

13 minutes ago, fredinno said:

They can still do an in-flight abort test with a booster and land the booster too, along with the capsule. I think it more shows they aren't ready for crew yet.

Also, that land landing with chutes looks hard. Is that just for aborts or is that normal? Because the latter sounds pretty bad for tourists...

I believe normal landings they have a retro rocket soften the landing. Note the claimed "1.3 mph" of the landing in the slick video.

42 minutes ago, fredinno said:

I don't follow you reasoning.

They are able to abort, hence not ready for manned flight?? How does that follow?

The capsule uses retro thrusters to slow down. That's what causes the dust cloud, not the impact.

7 hours ago, tater said:

Yes, but again, their concept of rating acceptable requires what, exactly? This flight-article bird has flown 3 times now, perfectly. The capsule is really the least troublesome part (it has chutes, after all). How many flights did the Shuttle have before being man rated? 0. Saturn V flew 2 unmanned flights, and the 3d was manned (and Apollo 6, right before 7 had issues and was only partially successful). Gemini flew twice unmanned, then the 3d was manned. How many more unmanned before they're confident? 

This, more relevant if the capsule has any abort system, does the capsule land on ground? in so fall does it have an braking system?
Yes I know this don't go orbital so the capsule will be far lighter and you can probably use legs or airbags for landing.