Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

My co-workers know me so well:

Guy 1: Okay, relin's cheering pretty wildly so... we landed something on another planet?

Close enough, co-worker. Close enough.

Nww if they can find a barge that doesn't rock with the waves.

That was quite an impressive landing, and I'm not easily impressed; although they did miss the circular target:D just thought I would point that out . .. . .

21 minutes ago, Robotengineer said:

I seriously doubt SpaceX will release the real cost savings from reuse, given that they are already the cheapest (I think) launch provider out there. They don't plant to reuse the first one they landed AFAIK, and we'll have to wait until we see what sort of shape the one that just landed is in. Who is @illectro?

Because the cost is a matter of fixed cost and variable cost, you want variable cost, but they have to consider, particularly since this is not fully researched in the realm of fixed cost that has to be divided amongst all future missions involving landing gear. They need a bigger more stable landing platform, particularly if they are going to reland in white-chop boca chica swells.

Good and impressive landing

28 minutes ago, Robotengineer said:

I seriously doubt SpaceX will release the real cost savings from reuse, given that they are already the cheapest (I think) launch provider out there. They don't plant to reuse the first one they landed AFAIK, and we'll have to wait until we see what sort of shape the one that just landed is in. Who is

They never publish their cost only their price, and is not the first time than musk sell things under cost in one of his business (Tesla)

Is Scott Manley IIRC

So it seems that this time, the weather was really good so they could follow the rocket with the ground camera way up high.

Before the stage separation, they switched the cameras to the internal view about here, but  I was wondering if there is the footage of the stage separation from the outside? Or maybe even the boostback burn or something?

4 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

So it seems that this time, the weather was really good so they could follow the rocket with the ground camera way up high.

Before the stage separation, they switched the cameras to the internal view about here, but  I was wondering if there is the footage of the stage separation from the outside? Or maybe even the boostback burn or something?

I am assuming that because the boostback burn takes place entirely outside of the atmosphere, it would be washed out by Rayleigh scattering and invisible from ground cameras.

6 minutes ago, FancyMouse said:

I know they're likely to succeed given how close last time is.

But still I burst to tears when watching it live.

Good excuse to have some good stuff tonight.

Already cracked the Basil Hayden's. 

12 minutes ago, Frida Space said:

If it ever is going to be reused. Don't forget these are experimental landings, and SpaceX doesn't have a full refurbishment platform in place just yet. The booster that landed back at Cape Canaveral a few months ago will go in a museum rather than being re-used. I suspect the same thing will happen with this one, although obviously SpaceX will want to study thoroughly both boosters before archiving them.

The first one was not intended to be reused, simply due to its nostalgic value. This one, however, is absolutely slated for reuse.

1 hour ago, viktor19 said:

With your permission, I will land this in my sig

Gladly granted...'tis an honor. 

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

The first one was not intended to be reused, simply due to its nostalgic value. This one, however, is absolutely slated for reuse.

Yea, nevermind what I said :) Elon just said the rocket is going to get back in port on Sunday, fire it ten times and launch it in May-June!! :D

Woohoo! That was an awesome thing to see!

Of course I was driving home from work at the time, but when dropping off one coworker I checked the thread to see that  it had landed, then watched the vid as soon as I got home.

For those who asked about securing the rocket, it is pretty stable with all the engine weight at the bottom. For more security, they will weld "shoes" OVER the landing legs (someone had said just welding the rocket to the deck. Not quite)

Today's barge pitch roll was 2-3 degrees. Maximum withstandable by the rocket is probably double or triple that, according ot Elon. But there's also translation, not only rotation. The barge today could keep position with a precision of <1 metre.

Rocket is being secured, the crew is welding it down with steel shoes. Heavy winds are expected.

Edited by Frida Space

Just now, Frida Space said:

Today's barge pitch roll was 2-3 degrees. Maximum withstandable by the rocket is probably double or triple that, according ot Elon. But there's also translation, not only rotation. The barge today could keep position with a precision of <1 metre.

Rocket is being secured, the crew is welding it down with steel shoes. Heavy winds are expected.

S***

You are only allowed to give 25 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

S***

You are only allowed to give 25 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today

Same problem here :D

Elon: "We could fly the same booster 10-20 times. With minor refurbishment, probably 100 times". Well then...