Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Apollo technically started as soon as NASA started... At least the concept.

Well, debatable, but I will grant that the were very much involved for their early existence.

As for the Orion/SLS/Future of Space Exploration, I will say, if and when SLS starts going, there will be some great potential for unmanned missions as well as manned ones. We can already go to Mars with robots, but with SLS we could send truly massive spacecraft, fleets of spacecraft, just about anywhere in the Solar System. Humans to Mars would be neat, and probably good for publicity, but it would be a bit of a pity to do as we did with Saturn V, and only launch manned spacecraft (Skylab was not manned yet, but was part of the manned program). There is just so much heavy lifters can do.

As for the Orion/SLS/Future of Space Exploration, I will say, if and when SLS starts going, there will be some great potential for unmanned missions as well as manned ones. We can already go to Mars with robots, but with SLS we could send truly massive spacecraft, fleets of spacecraft, just about anywhere in the Solar System. Humans to Mars would be neat, and probably good for publicity, but it would be a bit of a pity to do as we did with Saturn V, and only launch manned spacecraft (Skylab was not manned yet, but was part of the manned program). There is just so much heavy lifters can do.

True. The problem for that is that the payloads should be in the pipeline now if they want to be available for SLS in the 2022 or 2024. But they aren't.

Science institutions simply don't have the budget to build >70t payloads. Even if they did, they can't really commit to that size because SLS is the only rocket that can launch them, and SLS's future is too uncertain. They risk building a several-billion dollar mission and losing their ride. It's much safer to them to stick to put their eggs into the 10-20t payload size where they can easily switch to another rocket if necessary.

The lack of missions is what makes SLS unsustainable. NASA can't afford to maintain a launch site and logistics infrastructure for a launcher that only flies every 2 years, which is the intended flight rate. With no payloads or missions actually planned or funded at this stage, they will have to struggle to achieve a rate of 1 flight every 4 or 5 years. My guess is that somebody will finally realize this and put Congress in front their responsabilities, and SLS will be cancelled after 2 flights.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a MPCV it can do anything

Anything within its specifications, which are: maintain 4 crew members alive for 21-days.

The question is, what can you do in space in 21-days without any additional mission hardware? Except fly around the Moon, not much.

Edited by Nibb31

The 8th is probably a NET date: "no earlier than". The 9th might be when the actual launch attempt is scheduled to happen. But don't take it from me, better look at the launch countdown on spacexstats.com. It has it down to the second :)

SpaceX Conducts Static Fire Test Ahead of DSCOVR Mission

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/01/spacex-static-fire-test-dscovr-mission/

SpaceX has conducted a Static Fire test on its latest Falcon 9 v1.1 rocket Saturday, paving the way for a February 8 launch attempt to loft the DSCOVR spacecraft uphill from Cape Canaveral’s SLC-40. The launch will also mark the second attempt to conduct a propulsive landing of the core stage on to the Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship (ASDS).

Liftoff set for this Sunday at 6:10 PM EST.

Wait a second, is it launching today?!

Damn you, social needs! I agreed to spend the afternoon with my entire class... while SpaceX is casually making history. There's no going back now, I guess I'll see pictures after I get home. :(

Nah, it's tomorrow. Check the countdown timer on the first page.

Anyone know if SpaceX will be live streaming their half of the launch, or keeping it under wraps like last time? The boostback and landing on the barge is the part I'm looking forward to, not necessarily another satellite launch.

Anyone know if SpaceX will be live streaming their half of the launch, or keeping it under wraps like last time? The boostback and landing on the barge is the part I'm looking forward to, not necessarily another satellite launch.

Depends on how it goes. If it worked we'll probably have video footage within the hour. If it failed they'll want to keep it under wraps for a few days so the media calms down.

SpaceX chief executive Elon Musk said the new launcher for Sunday’s flight carries “way more†hydraulic fluid to remedy the problem. At least it should explode for a different reason, Musk quipped on Twitter.

From the webcast page:

2c5514ca-d53b-481a-8e3a-1b6b9e414b50_640x960.jpg

Falcon 9 went vertical early this morning in advance of tonight’s launch of the DSCOVR satellite. Liftoff is targeted for 6:10pm EST – live launch webcast will begin here at 5:50pm EST.