Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

The most recent NOAA surface analysis chart shows MSWH of 10-11 metres in that area. Mean significant wave height is the average height of the largest 33% of waves out there. That means that roughly 1 in 6 waves are bigger than that.

Thanks for the info, that's cool. Again, I hope they scrub the launch so we can get to see the reentry attempt.

Wow, three-story heigh waves. This time round I actually hope they'll scrub the launch... I know the next opportunity will be in a couple of weeks, but I'm almost more interested in the reentry attempt than in the mission.

Yeah, it's not like those 9 days even compare to the more than 12 years it already has waited.

It's too bad a good landing attempt will go to waste.

What's happening with the upper level winds? To my untrained eye, the 250 hPa analysis chart doesn't look much better today than it did yesterday?

http://i.imgur.com/19bwXEw.png

Why you mean, there is always strong winds at those heights..

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/250hPa/orthographic=-66.88,9.41,427

At least to day the winds blow in the same direction, they can provide 10 or 20 m/s on deltav.

Next F9 launch will be on Feb 27th, carrying Eutelsat 115 West B & ABS 3A. Does anyone know if they will attempt a landing?

No, it's right at the upper limit of the performance envelope. It doesn't even have legs.

Why you mean, there is always strong winds at those heights..

Not necessarily. The animation you posted seems to show the current upper level winds rather than the typical upper level winds. You can clearly see the southerly dip in the jet stream that is currently situated over Colorado in both the analysis chart that I posted and your animation. The jet streams usually aren't that far south or that spread out.

So I guess the next barge landing attempt will be with TurkmenSat 1 or Jason 3 at the end of March

No official word for either, but Turkmensat is close enough to limit I highly doubt it'll be doable. Jason 3 (built for V 1.0) should have plenty of margin.

Nowhere to land. The approval from USAF to build the landing pad only came yesterday.

They got approval? sweet!

Actually, I think spaceX's last "failure" was a better demonstration than a success would be- as it demonstrated a failure mode that could be lived with even on land.

They got approval? sweet!

Actually, I think spaceX's last "failure" was a better demonstration than a success would be- as it demonstrated a failure mode that could be lived with even on land.

Na that rocket would have crashed and burned even if it was over land. It still has to hit a landing point ( can't "land anywhere" like mechjeb , lol ) and if you saw the video the rocket had alot of horizontal speed as it struggled to hit its mark.

Na that rocket would have crashed and burned even if it was over land. It still has to hit a landing point ( can't "land anywhere" like mechjeb , lol ) and if you saw the video the rocket had alot of horizontal speed as it struggled to hit its mark.

But, it was the fact that it hit the target area. It could have exploded on land, but it still would have been in the target area, and everything would have been okay.

But the airforce colonel can be all like "So, all the wreckage would have stayed on private property if they'd done that on land? No danger to civilians even on a pretty much worst case failure? I've seen worse airplane landings. Sure, premission to build a landing pad granted."

I've been getting frustrated that they've been scrubbing their launches..... Now I want them to scrub... I would rather wait 9 more days to see them attempt a barge landing rather than a water landing. We all know they're capable of it.