Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Unfulfilled expectations - a working LAS, a working service module, people who think an Orion can carry a crew to Mars, people who think their names are going to get put on the Mars spaceship, etc etc.

No there isn't. Orion is equivalent to the Apollo CSM.

When they add real SM, yes. For now, it's CM with boilerplate SM.

I was asking about habitat module for long range flights - something like Hitchhikers with adapters :rolleyes:

uBWwtJnl.png

Edited by Guest

Unfulfilled expectations - a working LAS, a working service module, people who think an Orion can carry a crew to Mars, people who think their names are going to get put on the Mars spaceship, etc etc.

Who are these people with these expectations? " a working LAS, a working service module, Orion can carry a crew to Mars, names are going to get put on the Mars spaceship" IS what Orion is being ultimately designed for, no? Are you saying there are people who think this particular flight in December will have all those features?

this is extremely awesome, a few years (feels far longer) after the shuttle retirement it's great to finally see a new piece of manned spaceflight technology from NASA get rolled out in an actual assembled, flying-fit form. hoping it meets and exceeds all design expectations this coming december.

When they add real SM, yes. For now, it's CM with boilerplate SM.

I was talking about the actual Orion spacecraft. EFT-1 is just a test flight with a partially completed CM on an interim launcher.

I was asking about habitat module for long range flights - something like Hitchhikers with adapters :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. There are vague plans for a Deep Space Habitat that would loiter at EML-2, but there is no funding. The elephant in the room is that Congress has not given SLS and Orion a clear mission yet, therefore no mission-specific hardware is being developed.

Firstly, on a less serious note:

Who made that Snr. Docking Port/Shielded Docking Port comment...?

Secondly, this is why EFT-1 won't achieve much except for some flight data and heat shield info - the systems aren't ready. Private contractors like SX have more initiative than NASA; therefore, their capsules were completed earlier. Also, it's easier to build a simple space taxi than a long-range spacecraft; using a modified version of the analogy stated above, a Mini will get you to work, but it'll take a Land Rover to get you through a jungle.