Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Sounds like they totally kerballed the landing. They need SpiderMan on deck to lash it down when it lands

They need to cover the surface of the barge with superglue, that way the stage can't tip.

hang on, hang on... Musk did say that the landing went just fine. So the touchdown was a soft one. It just toppled over after that.

that sounds like process tweaking to me. This is proof that the technology itself works! Cause enough for celebration to me, break out the drinks!

Well, jokes aside, I can think of ways of saving partial landings. Such as spiked legs and landing on thick rubber carpet. Perhaps the idea is that a landing that needs support like that is failed anyways due to stresses it might put on the rocket, I don't know.

Well, jokes aside, I can think of ways of saving partial landings. Such as spiked legs and landing on thick rubber carpet. Perhaps the idea is that a landing that needs support like that is failed anyways due to stresses it might put on the rocket, I don't know.

rubber melts under rocket exhaust fyi.

I was thinking electromagnetic footpads that activate for an second or 2(to lower power requirements) on touchdown.

Or maybe some verniers in the upper part of the first stage to help with the torque (assuming they could be powerful enough to overcome the forces)?

Or both?

this is the fun thing that when the landing goes wrong, it isn't a disaster. The last orbcom was a disaster, when the first stage landing is botched we get a cool video of a Rapid unplanned disasembly.

rubber melts under rocket exhaust fyi.

Just thin steel plate then. Or just a steel grid which the legs clip into. Really, there are so many simple ways to do this...

Edited by SeaDog

Why don;t they use sort of like harpoons, like they do with helicopters that land on navy ships? The moment a leg feels pressure, a harpoon on the other side of the rocket secures the falcon to the ship

Well for starters they just gotta time that burn better.

Question. What is the point of the barge other then proof of concept? The ultimate idea is to have these stages boost back to land. So after that the barge is for the F9H core, yes?

Didn't Elon say himself "your hauling way too much ass" in order to retrieve that core stage?

Didn't Elon say himself "your hauling way too much ass" in order to retrieve that core stage?

He said:

Yes, the Falcon Heavy center core is seriously hauling a** at stage separation. We can bring it back to the launch site, but the boost back penalty is significant. If we also have to the plane change for geo missions from Cape inclination (28.5 deg) to equatorial, then a downrange platform landing is needed.

While not ideal, I could see there being multiple options. Unless it's impossible to steady on those legs. If it is just landing momentum that toppled it, they could have some small stability system. No idea if RCS/SAS is an option to them. :P

But it will probably be adapted in the landing computer and control systems and use their existing hardware.

Wonder what would ever happen if one of the landing legs popped open during ascent?

That largely depends on when it would happen and how the flight computer would deal with it (I would assume they have some routines programmed just for this). Maybe the Merlin cluster's gimbal would be enough? Maybe one engine could throttle/shutdown to compensate for the drag? Maybe the legs could get jettisoned, preventing the barge landing but also a complete failure?

Or maybe it would just tear the rocket apart. *shrug*

Or maybe some verniers in the upper part of the first stage to help with the torque (assuming they could be powerful enough to overcome the forces)?

Or both?

This is what I was thinking. And last I checked there ARE rcs thrusters on the top (for turning the booster around after sep).