Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

The technical term of docking with the arm is "berthing". The ISS uses the arm to berth visiting vehicles and modules at CBM ports. Actual docking can only happen at a docking port. The US side of the ISS only has the old APAS docking ports that we used by the Shuttle.

Dragon V1 is only equipped with a CBM, therefore it can only be berthed. The new commercial crew vehicles (CST-100 and Dragon V2) must dock and undock autonomously for evacuation purposes, but they use a new NDS docking ring.

This mission is bringing up the new docking NDS adapter in its trunk that will be fitted to the old APAS docking rings for the future commercial crew vehicles.

And you base that on what??

They can add picture and picture or just show the video at the end of the second stage ignition.

In that case why nasa show the pad abort test for dragon2?

Because the Pad abort was part of the CCdev program. And like I said, it's not a question of "can" but "will". NASA has no official stance on whether first stage recovery is successful. The broadcast is to follow the CRS-7 mission, not to highlight some side testing by SpaceX.

where do you think the large part of the funds to develop falcon9 or heavy is comming from?

Also if they can show that in the video means extra viewers and popularity for the nasa channel. (each landing attemps is like a mars landing in viewers)

But not you or me can prove this..

Just that my theory seems to have a bit more logic than yours.. as "nasa being jealous and competing with spacex..." please!

Edited by AngelLestat

Angel, the fact is, NASA hasn't been broadcasting the first stage landing attempts for previous flights. They won't be doing it for CRS-7. You can argue about what NASA should or shouldn't do, but that won't change the fact that the landing attempt is not part of the CRS-7 mission.

Angel, the fact is, NASA hasn't been broadcasting the first stage landing attempts for previous flights. They won't be doing it for CRS-7. You can argue about what NASA should or shouldn't do, but that won't change the fact that the landing attempt is not part of the CRS-7 mission.

Exactly.

It's not about "NASA being jealous and competing with SpaceX". Which I never said.

what?? nibb, if you dont have idea what we are discussing.. then try to not interrupt please..

sojourner said this:

"Because the NASA part of the mission is the CRS-7. They won't let the first stage landing steal the limelight on their channel."

Which is similar to said in irony that they are jealous and competing with spacex.

And I am saying that the ones against the desision to not show the landing attemp at the end of the mission is for sure spacex.

Because if they fail, it will looks like the mission fail. And they want to keep those things well separate.

But I guess the nasa channel has none issue to show the landing attempt.. why it would be?

Edited by AngelLestat

what?? nibb, if you dont have idea what we are discussing..

Do you?

No offense, AngelLestat, but the gist of the discussion so far has basically been this:

- You ask a question

- A person offers you something they think makes reasonable sense as an answer

- You refute that attempt for explanation on the basis of your own opinion

- Everything devolves into pointlessly arguing semantics over who has said what exactly

You've made it abundantly clear that you think a certain way about this topic - to the point where there isn't even a discussion left anymore. It's just arguing about who has the moral high ground. I think this thread would be best served if you dropped the topic now.

The launch is literally less than 16 hours away. How about we talk about that again instead? Here's a new picture of the barge out at sea, taken from a camera drone:

https://instagram.com/p/4cagTNQEYi/

Edited by Streetwind

Yeah, and will this change with tomorrows Dragon flight? Will Dragon dock on its own, or why was a new docking system mentioned in the video?

The new docking system was mentioned because this Dragon is bringing up a new system for Commercial Crew.

No offense, AngelLestat, but the gist of the discussion so far has basically been this:

- You ask a question

Your first instance and you are already wrong.. I never ask a question, another guy ask this question, sojourner answered... The answer in my opinion was wrong, so I give mine.. sojourner continue the discussion, in my second answer I already point him that neither of us would be able to prove it, but he continue.. why I am the bad guy in all this? :P

And I follow all spacex attempt and missions since this topic was created.

Also.. apology for stealing time when there are only 16 hours left.. Choose a good sit and wait without interruptions :)

And I follow all spacex attempt and missions since this topic was created.

If you've watched every NASA broadcast of a SpaceX launch, which I have, you would know that at no point has the NASA announcer acknowledged the landing attempts even when you can hear mission control in the background stating when engine fires are occurring for said event.

it's just not part of NASA's mission coverage.

Dragon and Cygnus were berthed with the Arm as a precaution.

Actually, they are berthed to Station because they use Common Berthing Mechanism which doesn't have any guiding or impact-absorbing mechanisms.