[1.1] Spacetackle's K.I.E Fighter mod 1.1k

spacetackle

The parts are extremely overpowered, and as a result, seriously fun!

Seriously though, I put a few xenon tanks on, and I got like 2.5 million m/s of deltaV. So, I made a dropship with the parts, and managed to land on Tylo.

Awesome mod! I haven't encountered any problems when using it so far.

Although, one thing I've noticed is that the solar panels are power generators rather than actual solar panels. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, just wanted to mention it.

Edited by teag2

Tried the 1.1j. Flies dramatically better!

@teag2 the overpoweredness is the best part :D! I've never flown to Jool before until I started messing around with these. Made it there and back, still with some delta v to spare.

11 hours ago, teag2 said:

The parts are extremely overpowered, and as a result, seriously fun!

Seriously though, I put a few xenon tanks on, and I got like 2.5 million m/s of deltaV. So, I made a dropship with the parts, and managed to land on Tylo.

Awesome mod! I haven't encountered any problems when using it so far.

Although, one thing I've noticed is that the solar panels are power generators rather than actual solar panels. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, just wanted to mention it.

Thanks  @teag2  :) Glad you are enjoying it!

Yeah the idea is to have the tie fighter be as capable as the movies, while still requiring to be refueled "at some stage" 

you are right, totally intentional with regards to the solar panels, it would suck if you couldn't fly at night. Though I suppose I could add a very large battery to the cockpit for night flight, should I decide to make them proper solar panels in a later update.

would be great to see some pics of what you have been making :) 

11 hours ago, Moarmau5 said:

Tried the 1.1j. Flies dramatically better!

@teag2 the overpoweredness is the best part :D! I've never flown to Jool before until I started messing around with these. Made it there and back, still with some delta v to spare.

@Moarmau5

That's awesome! I have been doing the same thing too, There were plenty of planets/moons I had not seen until I started flying these.

I should probably move the engines past the end of the tech tree in their own category. So that the engines don't nurf the stock engines for people who are playing career. At the moment they are at the second last tier.  Might do that next update. (Trying not to update too frequently though now.)

55 minutes ago, spacetackle said:

I should probably move the engines past the end of the tech tree in their own category. So that the engines don't nurf the stock engines for people who are playing career. At the moment they are at the second last tier.  Might do that next update. (Trying not to update too frequently though now.)

I'm more of a sandbox player, so I can't offer much advice when it comes to tech tree placement :P. But placing them near the end, after the stock ion seems like a good idea. Maybe like an "advanced of the advanced propulsion" branch lol.

Of course, I made a regular fighter, but here's the dropship I made:

View post on imgur.com

It may not look very good, but it can easily get anywhere in the solar system with its 6,602,000 m/s of dV. 

You may notice a liquid engine on the top. That is only there because the KIE engines don't have TCA on them, so I had to add that in order to use it (it doesn't fly without TCA)

Also, I'm a noob. How does one go about embedding an imgur album in to their post?

Edited by teag2

These engines are pretty useful for just about anything. I haven't been able to mess around with them lately, but I've been wondering if maybe somehow incorporating the repulsers from kerbal foundries allowing them to hover. It'd help with take off and landing as well as just looking awesome :D

@teag2  @Moarmau5

I can barely make out what is in those pics as the resolution is tiny! but I think I get the idea :) pretty cool. 

I will have a look at supporting mods like that, The original plan was to make additional tiny size engines that would fit on the tiny connection points on the small arm connector (for VTOL). I could look at attaching the TAC / foundaries mods to those.

Also what would be cool, but haven't tried it yet, is get a rotating part from the infernal robotics mod and make the arms of the tie rotate with the VTOL engines on them :)

I was hoping that the juno engines would be good for this, but they are weaker than I imagined.

@teag2

You can add an imagur album with the (i) Icon on the right of the post formatting bar. 

1. Goto imagur

2. open your album

3. look at the "share link" on the right side of the page.

4. copy the very end of the address.   For instance the KIE Fighter album is: http://imgur.com/a/mEqje so I would copy mEgie

5. press the (i) icon on the post formatting bar

6. copy in the code :)

7. stare in awe of your achievements :)

Edited by spacetackle

1 hour ago, Brainpop14 said:

Can you add some TIE Advanced wings? That would really make this complete. I want to build a TIE Bomber.

@Brainpop14   

Hi, I actually have a few new parts on the way :)

including : Tie Advanced wings, A docking port hatch, a  asymetrical tie bomber cockpit, and the tie advanced body (that will click onto the existing cockpit :))

Also an x-wing is on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome job. It flies really well. Only problem I have right now is with landing, that is more like lithobraking, but if you can integrate kerbal foundries' hover im sure it will be in my top 5 mods list!

4 hours ago, lttito said:

Awesome job. It flies really well. Only problem I have right now is with landing, that is more like lithobraking, but if you can integrate kerbal foundries' hover im sure it will be in my top 5 mods list!

@lttito thanks for your feedback, glad to hear you like it.

I will have a look at incorporating that mod. 

The small arm connectors are actually intended to be used for VTOL engine mounts. At the moment you can place juno jet engines there. Though stock tiny engines don't really cut it for take off. (Not powerful enough). I'll probably make a new low profile engine part that can fit there, that will allow for vtol and maybe kerbal foundaries support. 

In the mean time you might be avle to find modded tiny engines that work well on those mounts. Let me know if you find a cool sollution :)

On 7/5/2016 at 0:17 AM, spacetackle said:

@lttito thanks for your feedback, glad to hear you like it.

I will have a look at incorporating that mod. 

The small arm connectors are actually intended to be used for VTOL engine mounts. At the moment you can place juno jet engines there. Though stock tiny engines don't really cut it for take off. (Not powerful enough). I'll probably make a new low profile engine part that can fit there, that will allow for vtol and maybe kerbal foundaries support. 

In the mean time you might be avle to find modded tiny engines that work well on those mounts. Let me know if you find a cool sollution :)

For the moment, I take off first time using launch clamps and land vertically, since the engine is powerfull enough to make it so. I'm having so much fun with it. Also, combining it with DBArmory and Star Wars Mod makes it even cooler.

Edited by lttito

• 2 weeks later...
On April 23, 2016 at 0:33 AM, spacetackle said:

@Brainpop14   

Hi, I actually have a few new parts on the way :)

including : Tie Advanced wings, A docking port hatch, a  asymetrical tie bomber cockpit, and the tie advanced body (that will click onto the existing cockpit :))

Also an x-wing is on the way.

Sounds great! I'm so excited! How are those coming? I've built a pretty good TIE Fighter and Interceptor so far. Oh and for the TIE Advanced you might want to add another engine type as well.

Edited by Brainpop14
More info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.