Part Idea - Mobile Storage Container

Would this part run and store its own experiment (maybe some analogue of a crew report) or aggregate the data into a singular storage space? Because if you're doing the latter, how are you going to physically move the data from the experiments?

If you have a 'Scientist' in your crew you simply walk over in EVA and right click the part then select take experiment or whatever the button is labeled and then walk over to the science storage part, right click and select store experiments or what ever the button is labeled

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

If you have a 'Scientist' in your crew you simply walk over in EVA and right click the part then select take experiment or whatever the button is labeled and then walk over to the science storage part, right click and select store experiments or what ever the button is labeled

Ah, so you're just looking for flat experiment data storage in the probe core. I'd say that if you do so, it only stores the data (i.e. the transmittable stuff), for non-resettable experiments, as you cannot physically return the goo/materials as you could in a compartment on a crew capsule.

9 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm not sure if this is right but doesn't the materials bay store experiments too?

Materials Bay observation is the experiment for the Science Jr. 9001. So it stores itself, but nothing else to my knowledge.

5 hours ago, LorenLuke said:

Would this part run and store its own experiment (maybe some analogue of a crew report) or aggregate the data into a singular storage space? Because if you're doing the latter, how are you going to physically move the data from the experiments?

Just a way to store experiments, you could right click and collect experiments like you can from a normal module, but it would not be able to run its experiments, while you could just keep collecting goo samples and science experiements  on you, you cant do multiple EVA reports and hold them all without making a trip back to the capsule for every single endeavor

Edited by Nocwyn

Yeah i could see some very cool uses for this, if we were able to transfer data in unmanned vessels, it would be possible to do sample-recovery missions hayabusa-style, where only a small shielded part comes back, holding all the data. This could also work very well if we could store the data in the probe core like @pthigrivi suggested

On 4/2/2016 at 4:02 PM, LorenLuke said:

Materials Bay observation is the experiment for the Science Jr. 9001. So it stores itself, but nothing else to my knowledge.

you are right, however while one scientist could hoard all of the reports from multiple biomes on him, he would still have to revisit all of the areas for crew/eva reports, since you can only have one on you unless your extracting it from a command module

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.