Ultimate rover jump challenge

The challenge is simple: Build a rover and jump as far as you can. Engines allowed, but will place you in a separate class if used.

Scoring

+1 point for every meter horizontal

+1.5 points for every meter above the ramp structure

Unassisted:

Rocket

1. Anbang11 (8,085 points on kerbin)
  2. Jhawk1099 (5,900 points on kerbin)
Edited by RocketSquid

You might want to say something about where the jump can take place, what version of KSP, what mods are allowed (preferably no physics and part mods)... 

As well as reading the challenge submission guide for the other stuff there. 

Good challenge. I would try this one, but:

Should we land safely or not? Assuming safety first.

Stock or not Stock? Assuming non-Stock

I may make a video for the proof (I don't use YouTube, so I'll have to host it in other areas).

I'll do the no-engine. I'll need the fastest wheel. And then.... RCS? No RCS though.

Edited by Anbang11

By using decouplers, I managed to jump about 3 meters high and 'half the runway width' far.

Check the Wiki.

At the moment there is only one runway (09/27) in service with a length of 2526 m going from east to west and a width of 70 m

That means about 35 meters far. So 4.5 plus 35 equals to 39.5 points and goes to non-rocket rover class.

Click here for the video.

Sorry for the low quality video.

On 4/3/2016 at 8:05 PM, Foxster said:

You might want to say something about where the jump can take place, what version of KSP, what mods are allowed (preferably no physics and part mods)... 

As well as reading the challenge submission guide for the other stuff there. 

Anywhere, but you multiply the score by (that body's gravity / Kerbin's gravity).

Any version, but specify which.

Physics mods allowed unless they (somehow) alter the physics of this particular challenge

Part mods allowed unless you use a modded wheel which is greatly superior to stock wheels. Use of KF antigrav's just raises the ramp height.

OK, but if this is done on a low gravity world or moon then it could get silly. There was a similar challenge with building a ramp on Minmus and getting a rover to cover the furthest distance. I made a rover that (without rockets attached) reached a suborbital trajectory and circled Minmus. 

26 minutes ago, Foxster said:

OK, but if this is done on a low gravity world or moon then it could get silly. There was a similar challenge with building a ramp on Minmus and getting a rover to cover the furthest distance. I made a rover that (without rockets attached) reached a suborbital trajectory and circled Minmus. 

Yeah, on minmus 1 meter horizontal is 0.05 points. If you circle minmus, you could theoretically get 3000 points, but I think I'll have to draw the line there...

If you can get a rover with engines with enough fuel to reach orbit, you can theoretically orbit forever and get infinity points.

I don't think down-scaling points for different gravity on other planet would be a good idea for scoring. Cuz they need to bring rocket to go to the other planet (definitely not a rover), and people might exploit this by going to Gilly and go for the non-returning jump.

Edited by Anbang11

My rocket rover class is here! 2190 meters high (judging from KER altitude against terrain) and 4.8 km far (judging by seeing the flag aftermath).

Click here for the video. Better quality.

This far,

2rn7gjd.jpg

2190 * 1.5 + 4800 * 1 = 8085 points! I beat it!

Edited by Anbang11

I don't know if my rover will count or not as I put my rocket assists at about a 45 degree angle. I used MK2 parts including the cargo bay which has wheels to keep it stable and nuke power units. I used several spider engines, and only had fuel in 1 of two fuel tanks for my trial run. I hit over 650 meters in height, stating at 70 meters. I went about 7.2 km. I think I'll put some fuel in the second tank, but I only used the empty tank for balance so my CG was on the other tank. I have no time now, but will try again later. the only think I broke was the wheels before the end of the ramp, and they were going too fast.

OK, here is my submission.

I tried again filling the 2nd tank full instead of 30% to 40%, but it crashed every time on the runway. Too much weight of too far off balance. I originally put the second tank, empty cargo bay, and size 1 structural just for balancing my weight over the small fuel tank.

I balanced the design by effectively mirroring the front and rear. I then went the normal direction of the runway. Had a really nice distance, but in all fairness, I don't think angled thrust that negates gravity or lifts the vehicle should be allowed. My entry should be disqualified.

Anyway, since it floats in the water, I did infinite fuel, and jetted on out to the island, and up the shore I went!

At%20lost%20airbase_zps0pciay3t.png

On 5/4/2016 at 7:06 AM, RocketSquid said:

Yeah, on minmus 1 meter horizontal is 0.05 points. If you circle minmus, you could theoretically get 3000 points, but I think I'll have to draw the line there...

Hello? Gravity gets lower and lower when you go up. Plus, Minmus has no atmosphere to slow you down while Kerbin has one.

Even with the same rover, Kerbin score and Minmus score will be totally different.

1 hour ago, Anbang11 said:

Hello? Gravity gets lower and lower when you go up. Plus, Minmus has no atmosphere to slow you down while Kerbin has one.

Even with the same rover, Kerbin score and Minmus score will be totally different.

Except you need to land safely to qualify, which means entries on minmus will need fuel for deceleration.

By safe landing, I mean that it still needs to be recognizable, but not necessarily intact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.