Science lab?

Not sure how well it will work, but I would try the following -

1.) Copy and rename the config file of the mobile processing lab
2.) Change the part name (mandatory) and description/cost/mass (optional but recommended)
3.) Set a rescaleFactor = 0.1 (or smaller, to taste)
4.) In ModuleScienceLab, set crewsRequired = 0
5.) In ModuleScienceConverter, set researchTime = 5 (optional but recommended)

This will either work because it requires no crew to be present, or it will not work because the lack of crew results in zero base research speed. I can't say which it will be. You will have to try.

6 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Not sure how well it will work, but I would try the following -

1.) Copy and rename the config file of the mobile processing lab
2.) Change the part name (mandatory) and description/cost/mass (optional but recommended)
3.) Set a rescaleFactor = 0.1 (or smaller, to taste)
4.) In ModuleScienceLab, set crewsRequired = 0
5.) In ModuleScienceConverter, set researchTime = 5 (optional but recommended)

This will either work because it requires no crew to be present, or it will not work because the lack of crew results in zero base research speed. I can't say which it will be. You will have to try.

I'm by no means experienced, but I've edited a few .cfg files recently. If you use Module Manager, you could either clone the probe core you require science ability from so that you can have an alternate version of it and can still use the stock core, or just edit the probe core's .cfg, if you plan on always needing to do science with it. I'd suggest adding the ModuleScienceLab and ModuleScienceConverter modules to the probe core in question, it'd certainly look a lot nicer than a honey-I-shrunk-the-mobile-processing-lab deal.

Again, though, not sure if it'll work. You're also not going to get the scientist bonus, if that's something you care about.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience the MPL is finicky about being added to different parts, it seems to (or at least was in the past) dependent on being added in a certain order; being the 2nd module in the part config, or something like that.

But to get a proper science lab functionality you would also need a ModuleScienceConverter on the part, since that is what does the science processing part.

Also, Curiosity's science lab isn't a lab in the KSP sense, it is just a suite of sensors. The internal parts, which I think is what people refer to if they are talking about a lab, is an X-Ray diffraction instrument and the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM). SAM is several instruments used for studying the composition (:confused:) of surface and atmospheric samples.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.