[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

7 minutes ago, JollyGreenGI said:

Anyone been encountering an issue with the AI where it treats an incoming AMRAAM as a Heatseeker, by cutting afterburners and losing a ton of speed? That's the only thing killing my entry, besides frequent game crashes.

Yes. I had to build my Evod planes with the aim of being to dodge them at low speed like the Raptors do, and set the speed setting to high so they recover their energy quickly.  I'm looking forward to the next posted match to see if the Evod 2, aka the Children of the Battle of Doves will reclaim their father's throne.

23 minutes ago, Triop said:

Having some fun with Vulvaraptor... :lol:

iwpu4YD.png

BEwJlv6.png

HC1cr4w.png

It's not that hard once you get through the missilles....:D

aaQw3OG.png

The craft that shot it down has only 2 hidden turret guns...Try it yourself ! https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko3r9ydocfu0dvg/Ratatack%20VR%20%21.craft?dl=0

LyEM7hi.png

I've actually never thought of a small design like that....perhaps that is the way to go...hmmm.

2 hours ago, JollyGreenGI said:

Alright. TAH-03 "Whack". Tested thoroughly against the current King. 3 of these for now, still testing if a wingman design is needed.

That is a great fighter, but...

4lro4p4.png

9MABeI3.png

...VR flew right through ! :o

Only a first simulation I did, will play some more :cool:

3 minutes ago, Draconiator said:

I've actually never thought of a small design like that....perhaps that is the way to go...hmmm.

The way I think a light and small jet will be faster, more maneuauieuverable and harder to hit. ^_^

2 hours ago, JollyGreenGI said:

Alright. TAH-03 "Whack". Tested thoroughly against the current King. 3 of these for now, still testing if a wingman design is needed.

Tip: If you want to compete, don't hide your AI comp or weapons manager...:rolleyes:

brRL5O0.png

Disclaimer, did not change any settings:

PFb4yFX.png

^_^

43 minutes ago, Triop said:

Tip: If you want to compete, don't hide your AI comp or weapons manager...:rolleyes:

Those are not hidden, they're in a cargo bay to reduce drag as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Triop said:

VR flew right through ! :o

Yeah, I've noticed that Vulca is very likely to survive a head on collision, probably due to the high crash tolerance of the wings/cockpit.

1 hour ago, Draconiator said:

Where's your fuel on that, tri?

C5WCdum.png

1 hour ago, JollyGreenGI said:

Those are not hidden, they're in a cargo bay to reduce drag as much as possible.

You are right, I was being a @hole..... :blush:

19 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

KSP: ASC II KOTH epicman81 vs g00bd0g (Full Match) BDArmory AI Dogfight Battle

@epicman81 Beautiful planes. However you forgot to tune your planes for extreme combat!

Dangit I will win next time with a better plane.

3 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

KSP: ASC II KOTH inigma vs g00bd0g (Full Match)

Maybe the most intense match of this series! (I'm uploading the video it will be ready in one hour)

Arg.

Do reaction wheels help, Inigma?  I also like the idea of weaponizing stock craft for this.  I HOPE my last attempt works...you almost had it last time.

During testing my Duo still could fly and launch missiles (the flying part...not well) with 1 side wing and 1 vertical stabilizer blown off.

7 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Do reaction wheels help, Inigma?  I also like the idea of weaponizing stock craft for this.  I HOPE my last attempt works...you almost had it last time.

During testing my Duo still could fly and launch missiles (the flying part...not well) with 1 side wing and 1 vertical stabilizer blown off.

Actually, they only help stabilize the gunfire spread. They don't help dodge missiles. VulcaRaptor uses two, so I caved in and added two to the 4th generation Battle Dove.  It made a lethal distance at long range gunfighting but I had also tweaked the Dove's wings to give more V shape to force the AI into naturally occuring pull-ups and tuned the AI pilot to not be so aggressive. To be honest, I think the Battle Dove 4 is a thing of beauty. Can't wait for it to eat the Raptors.  The Battle Dove's strength is in getting rid of is smaller missile count early, and a high minimum combat speed, to force the AI to bring the craft within gun range far sooner than the VulcaRaptors can accomodate while they are still firing off their missiles.  Of course, the Battle Doves can dodge like champs, so their advantage is in getting in fast and hitting hard with guns first if they can.  Sometimes luck is on the Raptor's side and they manage to evenly attack all three Battle Doves which somewhat nullifies their early game rush advantage, but overall, the improvements made to the Battle Dove in version 4 should make mid game wins possible too.  The only disadvantage to the Doves is that they are not redundant, in that all it takes is one wing hit, and they are dead, whereas the freakin' VulcaRaptors can take a few hits, lose a wing here, and aileron there, and keep on ticking as if nothing happened. That is why the Doves have to be fast and maneuverable in order to dodge the slower Raptors, hopefully long enough until a team mate can rescue them.

What I've noticed though that if at any point the Doves score a lucky Aim120 hit on any of the Raptors, it's game over for the Raptors.  I've never seen them recover from a 1 man deficit (caused by a 120 hit) vs the Doves yet in any configuration. Sometimes I've seen them rush a Dove into the raptor pile long enough to distract while the other Doves lob off their remaining missiles, which also usually winds up as a double kill streak for the Dove in the pile. I've run over 20 hours of matches trying to beat those darned VulcaRaptors.  Using an innovative vertical stack triple canon config (which I call the buzz saw) to maximize the up-turning dogfighting advantage it has, and focus its hits on the hardened parts of the VulcaRaptors, the Battle Dove 4 will be my last attempt to re-claim the ASC-II throne.

DLyS06N.png

Edited by inigma

2 hours ago, gag09 said:

What are the rules going to be for ASC III?

Most likely: Command Seat only, max two Kerbals, min one Kerbal, 4 planes, max 50 parts, max 2 canons, and fighting over KSC or KSC2 instead of Island.

Edited by inigma

12 minutes ago, inigma said:

Most likely: Command Seat only, max two Kerbals, min one Kerbal, 4 planes, max 50 parts, max 2 canons, and fighting over KSC or KSC2 instead of Island.

Should also disallow Delta wings, there was barely any wing sweep back then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.