[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

3 hours ago, epicman81 said:

cant wait for my plane to win

• Name: Scrubmeat
  • Company: Skrubs
  • Source: Skrubs like you
  • Backstory: A generic term that applies to a skrub
  • Type: Skrub-flavored
  • Meal Designation: Skrub-in-a-can
  • Meal Type: EZ

RIP Nightingale

J9FIwI3.png

34 minutes ago, The Optimist said:
  • Name: Scrubmeat
  • Company: Skrubs
  • Source: Skrubs like you
  • Backstory: A generic term that applies to a skrub
  • Type: Skrub-flavored
  • Meal Designation: Skrub-in-a-can
  • Meal Type: EZ

RIP Nightingale

J9FIwI3.png

Did my plane do that

Recent testing against a pair of Crown Nightingales has led me to discover some interesting things; first, the German 20mm cannons (MG FFs? 151s?) are sparkle cannons, and second, my F3C-B can fly through a Crown Nightingale's wing and suffer no damage (while the Nightingale will lose the wing).   

Honestly, I'm quite surprised at how the cannons are balanced in AA - Hispanos have a lower muzzle velocity than MG 151s, while doing more damage.  This is despite the ridiculous amount of HE filler used in minengeschoss, and the lower muzzle velocity of 151s IRL...

8 hours ago, Charlie_Zulu said:

Recent testing against a pair of Crown Nightingales has led me to discover some interesting things; first, the German 20mm cannons (MG FFs? 151s?) are sparkle cannons, and second, my F3C-B can fly through a Crown Nightingale's wing and suffer no damage (while the Nightingale will lose the wing).   

Honestly, I'm quite surprised at how the cannons are balanced in AA - Hispanos have a lower muzzle velocity than MG 151s, while doing more damage.  This is despite the ridiculous amount of HE filler used in minengeschoss, and the lower muzzle velocity of 151s IRL...

It seems that the .50 cals in the original BDarmory are more powerful

4 hours ago, The Optimist said:

It seems that the .50 cals in the original BDarmory are more powerful

A little bit, but I do like those 12.7mm guns from AA. They work well.

EDIT: New plane is working out well. It seems to preform well 7/10 times. Will update it......maybe a day before I'm slated to go to war.

Edited by GDJ

Just a heads up:

The mk24 Starfish by epicman81 appears to be made in KSP 1.1.3, so if any of us that are still running KSP 1.1.2, it won't load.

However, a simple edit in the .craft file will fix that (basically change the KSP version from 1.1.3 to 1.1.2. it's right at the top of the .craft file text and easy to see and change). Not a big deal, but just in case anybody has issues.

Nice plane BTW.

Edited by GDJ

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

Just a heads up:

The mk24 Starfish by epicman81 appears to be made in KSP 1.1.3, so if any of us that are still running KSP 1.1.2, it won't load.

However, a simple edit in the .craft file will fix that (basically change the KSP version from 1.1.3 to 1.1.2. it's right at the top of the .craft file text and easy to see and change). Not a big deal, but just in case anybody has issues.

Nice plane BTW.

thanks

On 6/26/2016 at 6:52 PM, Bananders said:

@inigma ETA on the next match?

I suspect this week.  I don't see why I can't do a match Wednesday night.  I am however, asking for other hosts to step up, and so far none have yet.

1 hour ago, drtricky said:

Any specifics on when the next ASC is going to begin? I know you said july, but I was wondering if you had specific dates. I want to know, for...reasons. 

Sometime in July. I will be closing the ASC-III roster after July 4. 

4 hours ago, inigma said:

I suspect this week.  I don't see why I can't do a match Wednesday night.  I am however, asking for other hosts to step up, and so far none have yet.

Sometime in July. I will be closing the ASC-III roster after July 4. 

Can you update my entry? Here's the optimized (not a pun) entry: 

My final lineup: 2 Woodpeckers, 1 Desert Moth, 1 Beefalo

6 hours ago, epicman81 said:

If we do a ww2 era competition we should allow a plane to have up to two tiny jet engines if they want to as ww2 had the very first jet fighters.

That would be a first generation fighter jet competition then.

Those jet engines can be placed in more convenient locations, allowing further maneuverability, and speed benefits, so props would be useless.

1 hour ago, He_162 said:

Those jet engines can be placed in more convenient locations, allowing further maneuverability, and speed benefits, so props would be useless.

Useless? I don't think so. You can use a combination of both and get in the ~220 m/s range.

1 minute ago, Dman979 said:

Useless? I don't think so. You can use a combination of both and get in the ~220 m/s range.

I can get an aircraft to mach 1.5 in those Juno's, but I need a few procedural parts mods for a light fuselage, and custom cockpit made with tweakscale.

Other than that, I could most easily get something to 300 - 320 m/s with supermaneuverability, and good acceleration with just the stock game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.