[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

On July 4, 2016 at 6:00 PM, GDJ said:

Not the whole answer.

You must have balance.

11 hours ago, inigma said:

The next official match posted!

@epicman81

Is it me or was it almost like watching a group of cats toy with their prey?

Impossibru 

1 hour ago, epicman81 said:

Impossibru 

I even gave you a third round for your team and hard work to prove itself. 

I didn't think you'd get eviscerated. Nor eviscerated that fast. The Volantes are really tough. They look innocent, cheap, light, easy kills, but deep inside them is a heart of methodical calculating aerial vultures.

TorchedForever has become an Ace with 5 wins. (and if all registered entrants fail to unseat him, I just might reopen ASC-III to new registrations just to get the community to collaborate a way to take him down).

Edited by inigma

3 hours ago, inigma said:

TorchedForever has become an Ace with 5 wins. (and if all registered entrants fail to unseat him, I just might reopen ASC-III to new registrations just to get the community to collaborate a way to take him down).

I'd love another go. Not out of spite, but just for the learning experience.

.....and lots of PEW PEW PEW. :D

6 hours ago, inigma said:

I didn't think you'd get eviscerated. Nor eviscerated that fast. The Volantes are really tough. They look innocent, cheap, light, easy kills, but deep inside them is a heart of methodical calculating aerial vultures.

In the battle against epicman81 I noticed that the lighter mk25s lasted longer than the armored mk24s. It seems like losing speed or maneuverability for 'armor' doesn't pay off. Damage avoidance or managing part loss seems to be more useful than damage tolerance. I did some testing with a Volante versus an armored version. While the Volante isn't the best plane to armor (large wings and all), there is a lot of plane to cover and the weight and part count jumped rapidly. A fully armored plane would certainly pose a challenge, but it would be hard to pull off. On the other hand, the "Sweep" was giving me some trouble in testing because it could handle wing loss really well. The Kerbwith Alpaca has similar design and might down the Volante.

Reopening ASC-III might be a cool way to explore the design concepts behind ASC and develop understanding of the sniper-dogfighter dynamic. I would advocate for creative solutions as opposed to the method used to take down the VulcaRaptor, ie. remaking it with a few tweaks for improved performance (redoing the rooting tree, moving all yaw control to wing-attached surfaces, etc.).

1 hour ago, TorchedForever said:

Damage avoidance or managing part loss seems to be more useful than damage tolerance.

I wanna mention that this line of thinking seems to be subverted when lasers are thrown into the mix. When ASC-IV comes up and it turns into a rave party, the winner will likely be the craft with the highest percentage of mass being radiators.

42 minutes ago, JollyGreenGI said:

I wanna mention that this line of thinking seems to be subverted when lasers are thrown into the mix. When ASC-IV comes up and it turns into a rave party, the winner will likely be the craft with the highest percentage of mass being radiators.

Don't forget the AIM-120's.

Just now, JollyGreenGI said:

AMRAAMs won't matter if the lasers can shoot them down

The AI hasn't been updated to shoot down both enemies AND missiles, you still gotta choose one or the other. Yeah, an AI set to shoot down only missiles has the possibility of retaliating against other planes, but that's very unreliable, if you recall my last match

And setting only one plane to shoot down only missiles isn't a universal solution either. Even my precious laser sharks can be overwhelmed with enough AIM-120s.

3 minutes ago, drtricky said:

The AI hasn't been updated to shoot down both enemies AND missiles, you still gotta choose one or the other. Yeah, an AI set to shoot down only missiles has the possibility of retaliating against other planes, but that's very unreliable, if you recall my last match

And setting only one plane to shoot down only missiles isn't a universal solution either. Even my precious laser sharks can be overwhelmed with enough AIM-120s.

Okay, point is that the lasers will almost always be able to destroy an unarmoured opponent before the missiles hit their target.

19 minutes ago, JollyGreenGI said:

Okay, point is that the lasers will almost always be able to destroy an unarmoured opponent before the missiles hit their target.

Indeed. AMRAAMs still have a pretty important tactical role, however.

Hi, I have just question why you don't use FAR mod. I will apply in that conditions, but now I see all the planes flying like nothing. :D Nothing against challenge, it's really great but...

Thanks for explanation. :)

Ave!

Toonu

3 minutes ago, Toonu said:

Hi, I have just question why you don't use FAR mod. I will apply in that conditions, but now I see all the planes flying like nothing. :D Nothing against challenge, it's really great but...

Thanks for explanation. :)

Ave!

Toonu

Not OP but I'd assume it's because the AI pilot in BDArmory isn't designed for use in FAR.

Hi, can you add Quiztech Aero Parts Pack, if not for this one then for the next one? They have fighter jet cockpits and awesome VTOL propellers.

Also it is compataible with 1.1.3

I'm not good with propeller planes but i made an amazing fighter jet, so looking forward for ASC IV

Edited by LordOfMinecraft99
Update

I'm not sure if mod requests are fitting for this challenge. It has always been fairly minimum (more accessible that way) using only BDA at times. KAX was necessary for a WWI-themed challenge to exist and Aviator Arsenal was only added due to weapon restrictions.

Also, I've been working on two planes for beating the Volante, a more extreme Volante (requires a lot of AI work) and a small, stable sniper (just recently started). So far, it looks like out maneuvering the Volante while still maintaining speed and accuracy will be difficult. One strange idea might be building a slower plane and using that to get behind the Volante's tail. I haven't gotten to test the sniper yet, so I cannot comment on how well that idea will work.

Edited by TorchedForever
grammar

On 7/11/2016 at 9:45 AM, YangQiming_ said:

There is no restrictions on ASC4,

I'm actually looking forward to ASC4 as I can't build a good enough fighter for ASC3 :/

Restrictions on weapons. Parts mods is BDA only unless otherwise noted.

Also, I've finally got my computer fully up again, so ASC-IV is good to go on my end finally, woo.

Edited by Box of Stardust

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.