[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

b6RRSh6.png

SERIES III

Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill 4v4 AI Duels (WW1 Theme)
How Long Will You Claim Air Superiority?

Inigma's YouTube Channel

Test your design against the current King of the Hill, then

Submit your entry to the ASC KerbalX.com Hangar and post a link in this thread to enter!

ASC Match Hosts:

@inigma | @jrodriguez | @g00bd0g | @Hobbes Novakoff | @Draconiator | @colmo

Check out these other ASC Divisions:

ASC-IV (No Restrictions) Coming July! | ASC-A (PvE Arena Ladder) Coming Soon!

King of the Hill: TorchedForever - K1A Volante

Number of Wins: 8

Registered belligerents:

The Optimist - 2 Woodpecker, 1 Desert Moth Type 3,  1 Fighter Beefalo - DEFEATED!

GDJ - Avro Super-Bee - DEFEATED!

He_162 - Heinkel P3 - DEFEATED!

Triop - FU-247 - DEFEATED!

epicman81 - 1 mk25 Llama (20mm), 1 mk25 Llama (50 cal), 2 mk24 Starfish - DEFEATED!

Draconiator - Kerbwith Alpaca - DEFEATED!

AlexTheHu - ASC Tri  - DEFEATED!

qzgy - PointyStickFish Mk 11 - DEFEATED!

It began with a challenge...

inigma claimed King of the the Hill on April 3, 2016 with a pair of Fighter Papa-1s over KSC and KSC Islands. Not soon after, his son challenged him with a pair of dp class fighters of his own. The Air Superiority Challenge was born!

ASC Series Playlist:

The Air Superiority Challenge is a rotating challenge series from a catalog of currently adopted rule sets: No Restrictions, Modern Style, WWI Style, and other ideas we come up with by consensus. Only one series is  active at at time, but each series will be posted in rotation. Most Series last a month. Some longer or shorter depending on interest, time, and new software releases. What never changes is the general format: two AI teams dueling for control of a piece of territory, most commonly KSC Island, using stock and BDArmory parts only (with a little Kerbal Aircraft Expansion thrown in here or there for spite). How long your team will claim the ASC KOTH title depends on how many times your designs survive challenges to your reign.

Air Superiority Challenge III Match Rules:

• All matches are hosted in KSP 1.1.2 with the latest BDArmory, Kerbal Aircraft Expansion, and Aviator Arsenal mod versions.
  • To ease the load of the match hosts, and to increase confidence in your submission, you may only submit an entry that you've tested against the current King of the Hill. Your post must state you've done so.
  • Challenges to the King of the Hill will be processed on a first-come first-served basis by whichever match host volunteer happens to be available to do so (you can join the ASC Host team, PM inigma to do so).
  • Challenges are best of 3 rounds of 4v4 take off from near KSC runway in opposite directions, BDArmory Tournament Mode: 4km re-engagement over KSC.
  • To win a round or claim title to King of the Hill, one of your surviving craft must:
    • have a Kerbal in your craft
    • have at least one engine remaining (out of fuel ok)
    • have at least one weapon attached (empty ok)
    • still appear on the VS list in the BDA GUI (your weapons module hasn't been shot off)
    • if there are no survivors with all the above, the round will be considered a draw, and a new round required.
  • In case of a draw or bugged round, a round will be added to the match.
  • 3 draws in a row will result in the match going to the current King of the Hill.
  • Any craft that has disengaged is considered lost.
  • All seats on a craft will be filled. Two seater? Two Kerbals. Yes, Kerbals weigh a few.
  • All matches will be made available on the official YouTube playlist embedded above.

Air Superiority Challenge III Entry Rules:

• 4 aircraft (must look like a plane) required per team (can be same or different crafts), all must be manned with at least one Kerbal, all Kerbals in command seats, no closed cockpits.
  • All craft must be built in KSP 1.1.2
  • 50 part limit maximum per craft.
  • 2 fixed guns maximum, no turrets
  • All stock parts permitted except the following prohibited stock parts:
    • all stock engines
    • all Mk3 sized parts
    • Big S wing
    • Big S elevon
    • SAS modules
    • reaction wheel modules
  • No mod parts permitted except the following:
    • BDArmory (required for AI Flight Computer, and AI Weapons Manager. The .50 caliber Browning machine gun is the only weapon from this mod permitted in this series.)
    • Aviator Arsenal (any fixed non-turreted weapon from this mod is permitted) - ASC KOTH.cfg file (to fix issue with Aviator Arsenal's antenna part, goes anywhere in your GameData folder)
    • Kerbal Aircraft Expansion (required for liquid fueled propeller engines only, no other parts permitted)
  • No restrictions on AI, or Weapons Manager settings.
  • Entries must contain download link for the craft file(s) to the ASC KerbalX.com Hangar and posted to this thread (static links prevent me having to update the OP with your new versions).
  • Only AI and Weapons Manager changes are permitted to the ASC champion between matches to fine-tune their AI response to upcoming challengers. No other part changes are permitted to the ASC champion.
  • All challengers are permitted to make any changes they wish to their craft up to and just before their match vs the current ASC champion. If you are next in line, please notify the match host so your changes are committed to the match. If the match host missed your note, it's not their fault. Just re-submit your craft.
  • Only one active entry per person at a time (to prevent dueling yourself).
  • Match hosts will only engage staging once to turn on your engines at 0 throttle up to 3 minutes before match start, so be sure to tie in any components you want activated to the staging action group (competition start engages staging automatically), and be sure to include enough electricity to keep them active while stationary and throttled to 0.
  • You may not trigger the Weapons Manager, or AI, or any of their settings, via the staging or SAS action groups. This prematurely enables fighting, and crafts that do will be disqualified.

Hosting Details:
Rounds will be processed depending on our time and general availability (hopefully semi-daily). With that in mind, let's see how far we can take this!

You are welcome to host your own matches and publish the results in this thread if any of the ASC match hosts fail to respond within 7 days to the next belligerent challenge. If you decide to host an ASC match, you must have a dedicated KSP 1.1.2 64 bit install that only has the following mods installed:

Visual mods are permitted as long as they don't seriously degrade your match processing.

Match hosts must post all rounds to YouTube channel with KSP: ASC III KOTH belligerent vs king (Round # of # or Full Match) BDArmory AI Dogfight Battle  and update this thread with a link.

Shall we get started? Who will be the first to challenge the ASC King of the Hill?

Air Superiority Challenge Series III -  Line of Succession

1. SuicidalInsanity - SI-5 Tyrant - 1 win
  2. Draconiator - Super Llama - 1 win
  3. JollyGreenGI - K&K Sweep - 2 wins
  4. Bananders -  Crown Nightingale Mk2 - 1 win
  5. The Optimist - 2 Woodpecker, 1 Desert Moth Type 3,  1 Fighter Beefalo - 2 wins
  6. TorchedForever - K1A Volante - 8 wins

Previous ASC Series Top Reigning Kings:

ASC-I - SuicidalInsanity - Solarius III - 6 wins

ASC-II - g00bd0g - VulcaRaptor - 10 wins - ASC Grand Champion

ASC-III - TorchedForever - K1A Volante - 8 wins

Edited by inigma
ASC III

I hearby submit the first craft, and thus immediately take King of the Hill!

My craft: two Figher Papa-1 class fighter jets: https://www.dropbox.com/s/287gehed1rmyffe/Fighter%20Papa%201.craft?dl=0

My son, captjo herby submits the first belligerent challenge: two db class fighter interceptors: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7l73l4pmpousih9/dp.craft?dl=0

Edited by inigma

Updated OP. Figured it would be a nice spin off to the current Top Gun AI challenge, but this time a KOTH based perpetual challenge.  I'll come up with a forum badge, unless I someone else wants to volunteer an idea for one. :)  All KOTH winners will be permitted to wear it forever.

Edited by inigma

Well my best planes use more than the required mods but I may dl those two and see how they fare in a personal challenge. I'll have to see if I can come up with something for this, though!

19 minutes ago, Esquire42 said:

Is there a part limit of some sort?

100 parts. Not enforced though. No official limit. Too many weapons though could cause BDArmory to bug out... and disqualify an entry though.

24 minutes ago, inigma said:

100 parts. Not enforced though. No official limit. Too many weapons though could cause BDArmory to bug out... and disqualify an entry though.

I'll try not to be too outrageous. Also, may I suggest adding Bahamuto Dynamics to the accepted mods list? Another one by BD, has the awesome vectoring engine and a few other cools parts. 

Ooh! BDA AI fighter challenge! The great country of Uuuokozetistan must show its prowess at areal combat.

I present to you our magnificent fighter: The Arrowhead MK2. The fighter is 40 something parts stock and BDA only. (Just use two of them)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vv116s4g4e7tkuh/Arrowhead%20V2.craft?dl=0

Whoever does the fight please adorn the planes with our great flag.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wa9y4rzfo0sfjoi/uuuokozetistan.png?dl=0

2 hours ago, Esquire42 said:

I'll try not to be too outrageous. Also, may I suggest adding Bahamuto Dynamics to the accepted mods list? Another one by BD, has the awesome vectoring engine and a few other cools parts. 

No modded engines. Just utilities such as landing gear and cockpits.

An interesting challenge! I have a few questions though:

1) What camera mod do you have? I really would love the padlock view you are using in fights.

2) What settings are permissible for the weapons manager and AI computer? Some settings can give more of an advantage over others especially if combat starts as soon as the planes fire up their engines, (i.e. take off speed and average combat height etc). That's compared to the automatic tourney mode in the settings that flies both teams about 8km's away before combat begins.

3) Will you ban reaction wheels, (other than what the cockpits have)? Otherwise this would turn into a gyroscope with missiles competition.

Sorry to get a bit heavy there. :)

28 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

An interesting challenge! I have a few questions though:

1) What camera mod do you have? I really would love the padlock view you are using in fights.

2) What settings are permissible for the weapons manager and AI computer? Some settings can give more of an advantage over others especially if combat starts as soon as the planes fire up their engines, (i.e. take off speed and average combat height etc). That's compared to the automatic tourney mode in the settings that flies both teams about 8km's away before combat begins.

3) Will you ban reaction wheels, (other than what the cockpits have)? Otherwise this would turn into a gyroscope with missiles competition.

Sorry to get a bit heavy there. :)

1 - BahamutoD's CameraTools is listed in the mod list in the OP. That's what I'm using.

2 - Any weapons manager or AI settings are permissible. I want players to test the limits of BDArmory and Kerbalized aerial engagements.  I agree that scramble fights are not easily fair. I never heard of Tournament Mode. I'll have to check that out! 

I've actually been testing a more formal and fair (and LOOKS AWESOME) ASC KOTH scenario: Belligerents launch from an aircraft carrier, and the current ASC defending team launch from KSC Island...defending it as the "hill" in King of the Hill.  I already have a carrier. All planes must be able to manually launch from it (thus limiting their design and hopefully my cpu breathing room). So far all currently recorded challengers are able to launch from the carrier. We'll see. Being able to land on it though is not a requirement.

3 - Reaction wheels will not be banned. I want to test the limits of BDArmory and Kerbalized aerial engagements. I literally want ASC to produce the toughest air targets in history for use in later GAP contracts (I have an ulterior motive to hosting the ASC). A gold standard development goal if you will. Therefore, no tactic is considered too cheaty. If it works, kudos. You deserve the crown until someone else can unseat you...you sneaky bast..er um... stand-up guy. If everyone agrees a specific King is just too tough or cheaty to defeat, we will reset the challenge but that that King will earn a place in the Hall of Fame as rules changes would probably only then be considered.

Edited by inigma

18 hours ago, Esquire42 said:

Pilot-less craft not allowed. Each aircraft must be manned. They can have probe cores to fight on if their pilot gets killed, but all aicraft will need to be manned at the start. Else everyone would build drones. :P

Clarified OP rules. Probe cores permitted as backups, but all aircraft must start manned (else everyone would fly drones).

1 hour ago, inigma said:

Pilot-less craft not allowed. Each aircraft must be manned. They can have probe cores to fight on if their pilot gets killed, but all aicraft will need to be manned at the start. Else everyone would build drones. :P

Clarified OP rules. Probe cores permitted as backups, but all aircraft must start manned (else everyone would fly drones).

Let me pause my challenge for redevelopment then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.