Geomagnetic storm

Deddly

There was a geomagnetic storm the other night. Just thought some here might appreciate this.

SPbjtAQexOi222TqA74bDiJqpnScBmWe8ZtFTb9g

More recent pictures later in the thread

Edited by Deddly
Fixed image link

Well you've taken a keeper there.

My desktop is 1920*1080 (actually I made a whole thread on that...but I won't bore you!) but if its possible, the highest resolution available - unless, I dunno if you are at all concerned with the ownership of the data?

35 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

I dunno if you are at all concerned with the ownership of the data?

Well I'm not planning on making money from it or anything like that, but I would prefer to keep the original to myself, in case I ever need to prove it's mine. Hope you don't mind.

Here's a higher resolution for you: 1980 x 1280

Just now, Deddly said:

Well I'm not planning on making money from it or anything like that, but I would prefer to keep the original to myself, in case I ever need to prove it's mine. Hope you don't mind.

Here's a higher resolution for you: 1980 x 1280

No problem in the slightest :D and thanks for the upload.

That sure is a sweet pic, how long was that exposure? And which part of the globe were you on at the time?

Thanks again!

1 minute ago, p1t1o said:

That sure is a sweet pic, how long was that exposure? And which part of the globe were you on at the time?

I'm really glad you like it! It's not perfect by any means, but I feel it does a reasonable job of capturing the beauty of the moment. Exposure was 30 seconds with the camera facing straight up, which means I was directly underneath the aurora in the north of Sweden at the time. What I couldn't capture on film was the majestic way in which it shimmered and danced across the sky. It actually stretched from one horizon to the other - truly a sight to behold.

Amazing. Super-Jel. I've visited Northern Norway 3 times now but for one reason or another have not been able to see (well on one trip it didn't even really get dark at all, it wasn't specifically an aurora-spotting trip) anything :(

But being from the UK am pretty used to the weather not complying to my wishes!

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Elthy said:

Does it look like this to the naked eye or is this (similar to astrophotography) only possible with extremly long exposure?

That's a very valid question. When the aurora is faint, the human eye uses a different set of light receptors and can only see it as monochrome, making it appear pale white, wheras the camera can see the colours clearly. The first picture (the one in the OP) was not quite as vibrant to the eye but was definitely bright enough to see it in colour (though more washed out to the eye than to the camera). All of the other pictures reflect approximately what it actually looked like to the eye, except for the fact that my camera isn't very good in low light so I needed 30 seconds exposure to capture it properly. The result is that the aurora is slightly blurred in the pictures, but in reality it had more sharp edges and I could distinctly see red colours that don't come out so clearly in the photographs.

• 1 year later...

It's that time of year again! Even though we're at or approaching solar minimum, auroras still happen, especially when the earth enters a fast-moving stream of solar wind, like we are doing right now. What makes it especially good at this time of year is that around the time of the spring and autumn equinoxes, the solar wind interacts in a special way with the sun's and earth's magnetic field, leading the charged particles right into the atmosphere near the magnetic poles. Here's what I saw this evening:

AxkL81x-dhjkL82NLDSsJl4rLd6KUJtQVH1ntAEz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.