[OUTDATED] Simplified/Shortened forum rules

Deddly

This is an unofficial easier-to-read and short version of the forum rules for those who find the official version difficult to understand. The official guidelines can be found here. The official version contains a lot of clarifications and explanations, so please look there before questioning anything, and please let me know if I can improve this summary in any way.

1. In general

(1.2-1.5 & 5.2) Hopefully, these rules will help us all respect each other. If you don't obey the rules, you might get punished for it. If you try to get around a punishment, you will get permanently banned.

2. Messages and other text/links

(2.1-2.2) No software piracy, politics, religion, adult stuff, racism or sexism. Don't be rude to anyone, and keep private messages private. No swearing or trying to get around the language filter. Don't accuse someone of anything unless you can prove it. Don't use links that earn someone money, like ad.fly, and no roleplay (here's the reason for that rule).

(2.3-2.4) Make your posts meaningful: no “bump” or “like” messages or just sending reaction images. Don't deliberately annoy anyone or take the thread off topic, and never ask when the next version of KSP is going to be released (also applies to mods if someone has already asked). New threads should be started in the correct part of the forum, and all posts should be in plain English (unless it's in the “International” section).

2.5 Old threads

You are allowed to post something meaningful in old threads, but remember that a lot of people don't like it. If someone else posts in an old thread, don't complain.

3 Moderators etc.

(3.1-3.5) If you see anything wrong, press the “Report post” button at the top of the post instead of talking about it in the thread. Never pretend to be a moderator or to work for Squad, contact them outside the community in their private time or openly talk about their decisions to ban or punish etc.

4 Your account and personal information

(4.1-4.4) Keep your account and personal information safe. You are only allowed to have one account and you must not share it with anyone. If you're younger than 18, don't post pictures of your face and don't tell anyone how old you are.

TL;DR. :P

Kidding aside, while I appreciate what you're trying to do, having two versions of the rules is likely a bad idea. The moderators deal with enough "rules-lawyers" who try to end around the spirit of the rules by taking as literal an interpretation as possible (while conveniently ignoring the "Take Note" section), having another official version of the rules would only add ammunition for them.

On 04/04/2016 at 11:07 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

The moderators deal with enough "rules-lawyers" who try to end around the spirit of the rules by taking as literal an interpretation as possible (while conveniently ignoring the "Take Note" section), having another official version of the rules would only add ammunition for them.

Sorry to hear that, Red. I actually didn't intend this to be an official version so much as an aid to understanding the official version. But I can see where even that could cause problems. Shall I delete the OP?

Edited by Deddly

59 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Sorry to hear that, Red. I actually didn't intend this to be an official version so much as an aid to understanding the official version. But I can see where even that could cause problems. Shall I delete the OP?

As long as it's not represented as an official version I think it's fine.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me! 
I have a couple of suggestions:
Add a bolded link to the forum rules, with instructions saying to check there if you want clarification on rules.

I don't want to be nitpicky, but I think you might want to change this typo:

On 4/4/2016 at 11:29 AM, Deddly said:

take the threat off topic

And you might want to clarify that this to be about staff/moderation decisions, rather than the general nature of those actions:

On 4/4/2016 at 11:29 AM, Deddly said:

about bans or punishments etc.

Finally, since this was posted, a new rule was added, 2.3f:

Again, just because I have some criticism, I don't think this is a bad idea. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to updating this according to your suggestions, @Mad Rocket Scientist. Thanks for your help.

I also added a link to the conversation about the "no roleplay" rule. If anyone knows any other threads I could link to explaining other rules, I'm happy to add more links.

On 2016-04-07 at 0:27 AM, swjr-swis said:

Case in point, this could be taken two ways...

How so? Any suggestion on how I could make it clearer?

Edited by Deddly

20 minutes ago, Deddly said:

How so? Any suggestion on how I could make it clearer?

I didn't want to, but since you ask explicitly, here goes.

I was adding to @Red Iron Crown's words ...

On 4/4/2016 at 11:07 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

The moderators deal with enough "rules-lawyers" who try to end around the spirit of the rules by taking as literal an interpretation as possible

..by giving an example from your simplified version of the rules, which add the following words...

On 4/4/2016 at 8:29 PM, Deddly said:

don't post pictures of your face

..which, while very simply and concisely worded, allows the freedom to interpret it as "it's ok to post pictures of other parts of you".

I was trying to not make it too obvious, but that is now irrelevant.

Edited by swjr-swis

@swjr-swis Haha OK I get your point. To be honest, that kind of person would just go ahead and do it whatever the rules say and justifiably get banned. I would imagine anyone else would also notice the part in section 2 "no ...adult stuff".

Edited by Deddly

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.