[1.2.2] [CKAN] Decouple from heatshield

Faile

Ever thought it is rather obvious that the only thing to go under a heatshield is a decoupler? In fact, the decoupler might just as well be built-in to the heat shield!

This little MM config will automatically add a decouple function to each heat shield, so you don't have to bother with attaching a decoupler underneath them while still retaining the option to jettison the whole shield.

Enjoy

http://spacedock.info/mod/472/Decouple%20from%20heatshield

Also available via CKAN

Thanks to Kerbart for rewording the OP :)

Edited by Faile
new version

12 hours ago, DaniDE said:

I would be afraid that the heatshield hits an innocent kivilian bystander :D

The heatshield doesn't come off, it detaches whatever is _below_ the heatshield so you dont have to put an extra decoupler ring there.

13 hours ago, DaniDE said:

I would be afraid that the heatshield hits an innocent kivilian bystander :D

You can already decouple heatshields per staging list in stock. It's an option in it's context menu. This is just stuff below the heatshield.

12 hours ago, DaniDE said:

Hehe - Ok, it works that way around, that makes more sense. Where do I sign? :D

Joking aside - thanks, helpful little mod!

Glad you like it :) I found this like a natural way for it to work. Perhaps the shroud not dropping the previous stage is just a bug and soon this will really be stock.

18 hours ago, Temeter said:

You can already decouple heatshields per staging list in stock. It's an option in it's context menu. This is just stuff below the heatshield.

It doesnt work that way, at least not as far as I've tested it. If you enable the 'stage heatshield' button, the heatshield comes off when you stage it, not the shroud and whatever is below. I believe this is so you can avoid having to parachute the heavy heatshield.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2016 at 5:36 PM, Skalou said:

hello,

this function is now stock for the 1.1 pre-release.

Hey, atleast in 1.1.2 it still works as before. "Jettison Shroud" doesn't seem to do anything when you have a tank connected to the heat shield. "Jettison Shield" decouples the shield from the capsule. Still missing is the functionality to decouple the tank from the heatshield.

So as far as I can tell, this is still a useful hack.

On 4/4/2016 at 0:21 PM, Faile said:

I got tired of always putting decouplers on heatshields so I made this little Module Manager cfg that adds a 'decouple' action to every heatshield* object.

Enjoy

Thanks! Great idea!

Yes, the shroud plus decoupler, never looked good. I might also add a bit of weight to the parts on my own to account for more explosive bolts or whatever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/4/2016 at 3:21 PM, Faile said:

I got tired of always putting decouplers on heatshields so I made this little Module Manager cfg that adds a 'decouple' action to every heatshield* object.

Enjoy

Also available via CKAN

dude you can decouple heatt shields already just right click the heat shield and press jettison

8 minutes ago, Program Kerbal Space said:

dude you can decouple heatt shields already just right click the heat shield and press jettison

Dude... did you read the description?  It decouples stuff attached BELOW the heatshield (so you don't have to use a decoupler to drop that fuel tank attached to the heatshield), not detaching the heatshield itself from the capsule.

Edited by MaxxQ

On 10/27/2016 at 8:06 PM, MaxxQ said:

Dude... did you read the description?  It decouples stuff attached BELOW the heatshield (so you don't have to use a decoupler to drop that fuel tank attached to the heatshield), not detaching the heatshield itself from the capsule.

Actually, it does not. It says on, as “on top of,” not under as “underneath”

Now, there’s a good chance that the Spacedock blurb clarifies that, but most of us won't even go there as there's no reason to do so (the behavior described in the OP appears to be already stock, so why get a mod?). In that case it would be wise to have the OP updated, as to clarify that this would replace decouplers underneath the heat shields.

Edited OP to satisfy nitpicking :D

5 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Actually, it does not. It says on, as “on top of,” not under as “underneath”

Now, there’s a good chance that the Spacedock blurb clarifies that, but most of us won't even go there as there's no reason to do so (the behavior described in the OP appears to be already stock, so why get a mod?). In that case it would be wise to have the OP updated, as to clarify that this would replace decouplers underneath the heat shields.

My logic actually goes more by the lines of "someone went through the trouble to make and publish a mod for it, it _must_ be something that's not stock" :)

39 minutes ago, Faile said:

Edited OP to satisfy nitpicking :D

My logic actually goes more by the lines of "someone went through the trouble to make and publish a mod for it, it _must_ be something that's not stock" :)

:D

And my logic went by “why make a mod for something that is stock?”

You could even go as far (and it's not my mod, so I'm not telling you to do so, merely suggesting) as to why one would use a mod like this:

“Ever thought it is rather obvious that the only thing to go under a heatshield is a decoupler? In fact, why should the decoupler not be built-in to the heat shield? This little MM config will automatically add a decouple function to each heat shield, so you don't have to bother with attaching a decoupler underneath them”

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.