What do you think the Kerbin universe is like?

GarrisonChisholm

Is Kerbol Unique?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. In the Kerbal universe, is Kerbol a unique star, or the same as its neighbors?

• Kerbol is unique, and all the other stars in Kerbin's universe are "normal" sized (i.e., similar to Sol, though with typical variances).
    • Kerbol is common, and all stars in Kerbin's universe are 1/10th the expected scale, though too with variances.

Good afternoon.  I have been thinking a lot about a mod I would like to see created (or idea incorporated into stock), in reference to the below idea in the suggestions forum, but that has lead to a much broader, general question;  what is the rest of the Kerbal's universe like?

The crux of the question is if Kerbol is 1/10th scale, but all the other stars in its neighborhood are Not, then its heliopause region for a distant solar science "biome" would be not vastly farther than the orbits of its outermost planets whether Eeloo or Plock or End, due to the pressure of the solar wind from its much larger neighbors.  However, if Kerbol was a 1/10th scale star in a 1/10 scale universe, then the line of demarcation for some eventual acquisition of distant solar science would be rather farther, in what we might deem to be a more classical ratio of distance.

So, I would like to poll the body of players, from engineering power-gamer to head-canon roleplayer; is Kerbol unique in its diminutive size, or simply a common representative on the stage of a 1/10th scale universe?  What feels best and/or is the most logical answer to you?

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

I'll make the following argument for commonality: since the Kerbin system clearly displays different physical parameters from our universe, and since physical laws tend to cover entire universes rather than an individual solar sphere of influence, other stars and star systems should logically behave in the same way as the Kerbol system. Stars which are hot and massive, but exhibit no relativistic effects such as gravitation lensing. Planets 1/10 the size of Earth, but with the same surface gravity. Moons that cross close enough to each others' orbits to be flung into oblivion, but aren't because gravity effects are subject to exactly one sphere of influence at a time. And drifting through it all, a terrifying SPACE KRAKEN that imbues phantom forces into anything with a lot of parts, or at its nefarious whim disassociates the universe altogether.

Since the Kerbol system can't possibly exist under the physical rules of our universe, for the most part, I would (safely) assume it is typical of its own unique universe.

Am I the only one who just imagines that the whole Kerbal universe operates with its natural laws re-balanced so that degeneracy pressure is lower, and all forms of matter are simply ten times more compact than in our known physics, with other forces' strength adjusted to retain the same equilibrium in a smaller total volume?

27 minutes ago, Aetharan said:

Am I the only one who just imagines that the whole Kerbal universe operates with its natural laws re-balanced so that degeneracy pressure is lower, and all forms of matter are simply ten times more compact than in our known physics, with other forces' strength adjusted to retain the same equilibrium in a smaller total volume?

Right now, 8 out of 9 people polled (myself included) agree with you. So no, you're not the only one :)

That assumes you answered the poll. If not, then 9 of 10 agree with you.

Edited by 5thHorseman

15 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Right now, 8 out of 9 people polled (myself included) agree with you. So no, you're not the only one :)

That assumes you answered the poll. If not, then 9 of 10 agree with you.

I also agree with his point. Universal laws are, well, universal, so matter in the Kerbal universe seems to always have very high density compared to our universe. There are no relativistic effects in KSP such as a universal speed limit c or warping around massive objects. Moho's orbit does not precess, etc etc etc. Such as the laws of the Kerbal universe, as set forth when @HarvesteR created the heavens and Kerbin. The Modders are free to change those laws as they see fit, and Danny2462 will always, always try and be able to break them. To summarize, Kerbin, Kerbol, Minmus, and all the rest are perfectly normal in their universe.

It's quite possible for the Kerbol system to exist in a fictional world along side other systems that are like our own.

take, for example, the planet in the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Blink of an Eye". It's core is made of tachyons and it spins so fast that a day on the planet is one second to an outside observer. A planet that is spinning at 1/7th c does not make logic sense, but there it was.

I'd be curious to see the effects of a long-range flight from Kerbin to another star system with - for instance - real-life rules and parameters. I doubt the outcome would be very satisfying; a ship which operates within the local solar system suddenly running into different laws would likely wind up as Kerbal Konfetti. Therefore, I would suggest that the Kerbol system being representative of its region seems to be the most likely answer, so that's how I voted. :)

Cheers!

There is no rest of the Kerbal Universe! Its just a painting on the inside of a giant sphere.  :D

That said, if you want to try to bring other stars into the game I guess they would have to be in scale, as would the interstellar distances.

But THAT said, I don't that would work either, because while we scale the sizes we don't scale the gravity.  If Alpha Centauri was half a lightyear away, stars would be colliding! So I think an interstellar sim would have to be full scale.

(why can't people just play THIS game)

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

Dang it, I voted "common" but now I want to change my vote!

I feel the most plausible explanation for the density of bodies in the Kerbol system, in terms of consistency with known physics and with game information, is that they have substantial dark matter cores. That then is something that while not universal and maybe not even *that* common, is not necessarily unique to the Kerbol system. It's something that might be widespread in a galaxy or region of a galaxy that's rich in the appropriate dark matter.

I believe that Kerbal meter and their kilometer is far greater than a Earth meter and Earth kilometer, and that their units of time measurement are greater than humans, so their solar system is the same size as the Sol System but since their units of measurement are bigger than ours and they experience time at a slower rate, we believe that their solar system is extremely dense when in reality nothing is wrong.  

Kerbals evolved with their own units of measurement with their own civilization and the only similarity with ours is the name.  

If you wanted to add extra gamespace to the KSP universe, then scaling it with what we have now would make sense.

If you wanted to put together a background for the pocket sized KSP universe, then either of the poll choices could make for an interesting story, particularly if whatever weird physics you dreamt up to explain the 1/10 scale had actual consequences in the story. 

Personally, I'm not that interested in concocting a cosmology that can explain the 1/10 scaling whilst otherwise hewing to Earth-like physics, and my headcanon just assumes that Kerbin is Earth sized. Just a personal choice though - I don't want to dismiss any of the other headcanon mentioned on this thread.

Edited by KSK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.