Devnotes Tuesday: Bugs and more bugs to be fixed!

SQUAD

15 minutes ago, LaytheDragon said:

It also appears to come with a docking mode, too

Nah, I think that's a Mk2 Clamp-o-Tron behind it. Regardless... it's BEAUTIFUL.

That's the sort of rocket ships I would have drawn in high school, if I could draw.

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Mike (Mu) reworked the mesh creation of the fairings, much reducing garbage creation and thus speeding things up. Thanks to help from Brian (Arsonide) they pinpointed a method which sets the vessel’s colliders up correctly as a cause of major lag. This system has been completely reworked and has much reduced staging and startup frame times. The fixes are currently in QA testing and will hopefully be part of a pre-release build shortly.

What was the old version doing (or not doing) which was causing such a huge amount of startup lag? I'm guessing EJ's CLS-H demo craft Kasper launched provided the perfect storm of these things colliding as well (for lag+)?

This update is going to be the best yet!

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

30 years from now, real astronauts will laugh at any real craft that lacks a KSP-style map screen.

I plan on going to Mars with a computer that has a save with a replica of whatever ship I'm on in RSS, which I will fly during the long trip.

3 hours ago, SQUAD said:
Jim nailed out more and more typos and tweaks to improve the content. He is really happy with the way its shaping up and people can have a look at it all 150 screens as they are seen in the game here: http://imgur.com/a/av8VK

Jim, KSPedia needs moar Tsiolkovsky.  Don't be afraid to put equations in there.

39 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'm probably the only person who wants that green highlighting to go away entirely.   My cursor pointing at the thing is enough for me.  It's just an eye soar when I'm trying to enjoy the majesty of my vessels. 

You can disable the edge highlighting shader in the settings (it's called PPFX)

4 hours ago, SQUAD said:
Bill (Taniwha) put the finishing touches on the new UI controls and added some bells and whistles to the previously existing ones, giving modders a bit more control. In other areas, he fixed a bug that has plagued him since 0.19.1: green highlighted parts in my screenshots despite having hit F2. Now the part highlighting respects the state of the rest of the GUI. On top of that, he fixed a problem in the date/time formatting code that would throw exceptions if fed NaN time.

Do parts still highlight when you point at them in IVA mode? This is a total immersion killer for IVA lovers, please make it gone as well.

3 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Please, do something about wheels for medium/heavy rovers

next prerelease version has a fix coming in for wheels colliders messing stuff up, so once it's deployed, we'll be able to more properly test these wheels :) (if those bugs altered somehow the performance of the wheels, - we'll need to give feedback on how they work after the patch :))

How I imagine a meeting at Squad:

"These wheels don't work, landing gear is hosed, and Stage Only view hasn't worked since .25.  We've been in Experimental now for a month and the natives are getting restless.  We need more time."

"I know, we'll do a pre-release for a few weeks to buy some time!"

"Brilliant!"

*cerveza is consumed*

4 hours ago, lextacy said:

No, there will beta 4 week release candidate after the pre-release.

And the way things are looking now, Squad'll need every minute of those four weeks. :)

5 hours ago, lextacy said:

No, there will beta 4 week release candidate after the pre-release.

I don't know where this idea comes from: the current optional public beta pre-release is it. When Squad makes the hard decision to end the current phase, (and in my previous reply I hope they don't rush it...) we should get the official v1.1 release, not another beta.

From article: Opt-in Prerelease for 1.1 :

we're planning to provide an optional pre-release branch of update 1.1. This opt-in branch will run for just under two full weeks before the targeted release date of the final update.

4 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'm probably the only person who wants that green highlighting to go away entirely.

There's also an option now in the settings.cfg to disable it completely while in-flight. "INFLIGHT_HIGHLIGHT = False"

I am so glad that you guys have now this kind of open beta... I am working in the software industry and when it comes to testing, there is no better way to find the bugs, as to "throw it to the monkeys". People will find out bugs in their way of doing things, which no test-case could cover, and no test-case designer could even imagine to do it this way

ATI GPUs on Linux are causing issues and there doesn’t seem to be an easy fix

Is this with the proprietary drivers or the OSS radeon/radeonsi/AMDGPU drivers? I've been using the latter for the last ~3 years without issue, while the proprietary fglrx drivers have had a bunch of weird bugs for the last decade at least

Edited by microsoftenator

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Also, what does the dynamic crew capacities entail?

Dynamic crew capacity sounds like:

Deflated hab, capacity 0 Kerbals.

*inflates*

Inflated hab, capacity 2 Kerbals.

I.e. the capacity of a part can change in-flight. The SpaceX launch coming up is meant to take an inflatable hab to the ISS for testing.

8 hours ago, CommanderSpock said:

That new mk.2 inline's texture styling doesn't fully match up... Does this foreshadow a texture revamp for those parts @Porkjet?

IIRC 1.2 will be partly about bringing all parts inline with the latest standard of building parts and corporate design.

6 hours ago, NoMrBond said:

What was the old version doing (or not doing) which was causing such a huge amount of startup lag? I'm guessing EJ's CLS-H demo craft Kasper launched provided the perfect storm of these things colliding as well (for lag+)?

There were two issues. One appears that a lot of garbage was being created and destroyed in the process of spawning the meshes. A second problem appears to be a slowdown in a Unity function that was previously in use, but seems to be much (much) slower in the new version of Unity.

Turns out there wasn't really a perfect storm required. It was just the sheer volume (and possibly type) of colliders in the fairings interacting with the slower Unity function. This might have also been an issue with really high part count craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.