(Obsolete) New Rule: Repeated requests for add-on updates are now forbidden

Red Iron Crown

22 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

..when EULA's are written in common language and do not consist for 95% of one large compilation of corporate disclaimers and cover-my-butt and avoid-as-many-responsibilities-as-I-can clauses?

Yep, we might actually start reading them then...

This is the reason I started on a plain-language version of the forum rules, but I didn't get much in the way of feedback, so I wasn't sure it would be useful.

10 minutes ago, Deddly said:

This is the reason I started on a plain-language version of the forum rules, but I didn't get much in the way of feedback, so I wasn't sure it would be useful.

I think this forum's rules/guidelines are pretty well done, all things considered. It's a bit of text, yes, but most of the points are relatively concise and in common language, not legalese. If we could trust people to follow the spirit instead of the letter of the law, we really could suffice with saying 'Don't be a doodoohead', but unfortunately some things have to be spelled out a bit more, for the doodooheads among us.

My blurb was more about the industry-average cut&paste 271 article encyclopedias that end up worth less than toilet paper every time they've been seriously tested in court, since they usually try to cut away all consumer rights and any vendor responsibilities. Those are the ones that have trained us to not even scroll anymore and click 'Yes, take my first-born and my soul' to get on to the goodies.

8 minutes ago, Whizzkid said:

Does this mean that existing posts that violate this rule will be removed/edited/moderated?

It would not be fair to apply a rule retroactively, if that's what you mean. This rule applies to posts made since it was added.

On 06/04/2016 at 0:07 AM, Snark said:

Here's a handy FAQ:

• Q: "When will an update be available?"
  • A:  "Whenever the author has the time and inclination to do so."

To give another point of view, though

Q: Well can you give me an idea? Are we talking days, weeks, months?

Is that really an unreasonable thing to ask, as a user? After I've looked to see if it was mentioned before, and it hasn't been.

8 minutes ago, cantab said:

Is that really an unreasonable thing to ask, as a user? After I've looked to see if it was mentioned before, and it hasn't been.

Yes actually. For the same reason its a forum rule not to ask about KSP release dates, or even ask days, weeks, months. Because if they give a speculative date, and then don't get it out within that time for whatever reason, it opens themselves up to people angry at them for not making the time frame. No matter how much emphasis is placed on SHOULD someone, somewhere is going to read it as WOULD. Its really a path best not started down.

42 minutes ago, cantab said:

Yes.  Any question like that whatsoever.  It can be annoying to the content creator (as @Kuzzter mentions), and it can't be responded to without tying the person down (as @Frybert points out).

The fact is:  If the mod author feels like giving the Teeming Millions a shout-out about likely future schedule, then he'll do so by posting in the thread.  If he hasn't posted such a comment, then he has chosen not to do so, and by asking a question like that, essentially you're saying "I know you didn't want to say anything about this but I'm asking you to do it anyway."

Ask any adult who has ever gone on a long road trip with a young child whether the question "are we there yet?" from the back seat was a welcome one.  ;)

Just don't go there.  It'll be ready when it's ready.  If the author feels like making an announcement, then he'll do so.  You can just mark the thread as "followed" so you'll get an email announcement if anything pops up in the thread, if you like.

In spirit, I do agree with the new rule. It can be annoying as heck to Mod makers to constantly read "When? When? When?" kinds of posts.

However, this rule is nudging to a slippery slope. What if a moderator or a Mod Maker has a bad day and thinks a simple post, for example...:

"Hey, I really like this mod! Look forward to seeing more of this real soon!

....as a violation of the new rule?

What if the Mod Maker see's this example post as harassment, when it was only meant as encouragement? Shall we ban encouragement as well because it might potentially irritate somebody?

The only suggestion is keep the knee jerk moderation to a minimum.

(And FYI, I was a moderator on several sites related to trucks and off-roading enthusiasts, so I'm not talking out my rear end. )

Edited by GDJ

On 4/10/2016 at 6:33 PM, GDJ said:

What if a moderator or a Mod Maker has a bad day and thinks a simple post, for example...:

"Hey, I really like this mod! Look forward to seeing more of this real soon!

....as a violation of the new rule?

What if the Mod Maker see's this example post as harassment, when it was only meant as encouragement? Shall we ban encouragement as well because it might potentially irritate somebody?

Just to add to @Red Iron Crown's commentary, a few things to bear in mind:

• Mod makers don't hand out infractions.  Moderators do.  If a mod maker dislikes something posted in their thread, they can of course report the post (just like anyone can), but the decision about whether any action is necessary is up to the moderators alone.
  • The moderators are a generally level-headed, even-tempered bunch.  This is no accident.  Somebody who's in the habit of flying off the handle wouldn't get chosen as a moderator.  So the "moderator had a bad day" scenario is a fairly low-probability one.
  • We're a team.  If a case is in a gray borderline area, it's quite common to consult with each other before handing out an infraction.  And when one of us hands out a warning, all of us see it.  So loose cannons are generally not an issue.

Some of us are fairly new to the moderator biz, but others have been doing this for a long time and have been around nearly as long as KSP has.  So collectively, we have a fair amount of due caution and can be relied upon not to run amok.  And our chain-of-command is publicly posted, so anybody who ever feels that they've been unfairly moderated can send a PM to the supervisor of the moderator in question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2016 at 4:31 AM, Snark said:

Just to add to @Red Iron Crown's commentary, a few things to bear in mind:

• Mod makers don't hand out infractions.  Moderators do.  If a mod maker dislikes something posted in their thread, they can of course report the post (just like anyone can), but the decision about whether any action is necessary is up to the moderators alone.
  • The moderators are a generally level-headed, even-tempered bunch.  This is no accident.  Somebody who's in the habit of flying off the handle wouldn't get chosen as a moderator.  So the "moderator had a bad day" scenario is a fairly low-probability one.
  • We're a team.  If a case is in a gray borderline area, it's quite common to consult with each other before handing out an infraction.  And when one of us hands out a warning, all of us see it.  So loose cannons are generally not an issue.

Some of us are fairly new to the moderator biz, but others have been doing this for a long time and have been around nearly as long as KSP has.  So collectively, we have a fair amount of due caution and can be relied upon not to run amok.  And our chain-of-command is publicly posted, so anybody who ever feels that they've been unfairly moderated can send a PM to the supervisor of the moderator in question.

Didn`t realise you were a mod now Snark, when did that happen?

• 6 months later...
10 minutes ago, Rath said:

Actually, there is a way to make the mod author have more free time!  Donate several thousand dollars!  

Yeah! Wouldn't mind a paycheck doing this. I can think of worse jobs.

• 3 months later...