Where did your username come from?

spacebrick3

In August 2013 I went to a event about multiplayer free games, on the game called Teeworlds* I set my username as Cake, for teh lulz.

Sometime after that (within a few months) I made Cake into CAKE**, since then until November-ish 2015 I have used CAKE (or CAKE99 for when CAKE is taken or there is a character minimum).

Around November 2015 I came up with UberCAKE which I have been using since then.

* Teeworlds is free! Just google it.

** CAKE is a acronym for Cakey Automated Kontraption for Eating.

This is a timeline of my username:

Cake   August 2013-late 2013/early 2014

CAKE/CAKE99 late 2013/early 2014- November-ish 2015

UberCAKE November-ish 2015-Present

EDIT: BTW @Geschosskopf where did your username come from?

Edited by CAKE99

A long, long time ago, when I was still in school, hotmail was still a thing and my friends were still choosing usernames like "thundercock" or somesuch I decided I needed an email address.

My name is Peter. Often called Pete. My close relatives sometimes call me Petie/Petey/Peetee. This is sometimes put in written form as "PT".

Second name begins with an "O", so PTO. Sounds a bit like "Pitio" when you say it out loud.

Replace the i's with 1's (because it seemed like a cool "internetty" thing to do) and there you have it.

It is, however, supposed to be pronounced "Pee-One-Tee-One-Oh"

Never had a reason to choose anything else, and it is NEVER already taken when that is relevant.

:D

34 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

The day I made my username, I was thinking of Inception, then I replaced "In" with "Space" and my username was born :)

BRRRAAWWWWWWW

Mine came from when I was a young child playing Runescape and I misspelled  warrior. Since then, it has stuck. 

When I was younger I had the misfortune of having a speech impediment. I would always follow an and with a long, cringe-worthy uuummmmmmm. It eventually went away when I was 6-7ish, but of course My grandfather used it as a nickname for me when I got older, and called me that until he got dementia. He couldn't remember my name anymore, and I was Andem for the rest of his life. Since then My username has always been Andem or Andem6 since then.

MIne is, well, me. it's my initials and my year of birth. In fact, it is what I have used since 1992 for just about every sort of forum there is... including here. So, if you can find that user name on whatever site you need a user name, chances are you have found me.

Edited by adsii1970

Originally, I went by Torg, which was a shortening of my last name. After that, if that name were to somehow be taken, I used "Torg9776" which was the aforementioned shortening, plus my birth year, plus the birth year of my dad. However, it turns out that I was incorrect, and he was actually born in '75, but I didn't feel like changing it. Later on, I changed it to Maximus, which is my first name with the suffix -imus because it sounds much cooler, and 97, my birth year.

Was playing DC Universe Online, created a new character, realized I didn't have any of my usual names leftover.  After going through a few bad names, I came up with Slam Jones.  It sounded catchy, so I stuck with it :)

Mine came from playing an MMO long ago and I kept the name for all the other games I've played.

If someone were to ask me "Are you in danger?" I am always able to say "Yes, in fact I am"

Given my play style for most games, it is nothing but the truth.

When I got to high school, I didn't know mostly anyone. This one girl saw me drawing and said "You're short (I was always the youngest in class). You draw monsters. You'll be Monstrinho (Little Monster)!"

So, I've been Monstrim ever since (even sign that way). On the first forum I had an account, username was Monstrim, but people used to say Little Monster. Someone said 'Monstah' once, and I thought it was cute (a corruption of Monster like Monstrim is of Monstrinho), so I use that on international forums.

"Veeltch" is how you spell "Wilcz" in polish. I decided to use it instead of "Wilcz" because anyone who is not polish has no idea how to properly spell it and I never know when they call me out on the voice chat in WarThunder.

I was trying to come up with a chat name, and I had always wanted to be an astronaut, but that wasn't gonna happen. StrandedonEarth was already taken, of course, since Yahoo chat is (or was) a mighty big world (until it was overrun by bots). So it was originally StrandedonEarthsince1970, which was a bit of a mouthful. Now, whenever I set up a new username or email, I take StrandedonEarth if I can. Given the nature of the game,  I was somewhat surprised that it was still available here, but then, I did get in kinda early (Oct 2013).

Edit: and btw, although it's off-topic, I met my wife on Yahoo chat

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I bet my story is the most boring of all of them here.

I was playing DC Universe Online.  I ran out of names, so I randomly came up with Slam Jones.  Nothing special, just two random words that sound somewhat heroic when put together, at least to my ears.

See, told you it was boring.

Edited by Slam_Jones

9 hours ago, CAKE99 said:

IEDIT: BTW @Geschosskopf where did your username come from?

A 60-year old, very minimalist, dogeared, paperback English-German dictionary :)   The username I have everywhere else on the Internet was taken already when I joined this forum, so I substituted what I've been told by real Germans is a very poor but still literal translation of it which I had sometimes used when I played the Germans in various wargames.

I was really into legos when I started online stuff (LEGO website for the win), and especially the NXT stuff. Servo was taken, so I added a three-quarter turn. Simple, easy enough to remember, and I liked it. Recently I've been moving away from Servo270, hence the shortened form.

Simple... I'll explain the parts of my username to the... er... non-railfans... yeah I wasn't going to come up with any other term, honest. Seriously.

UnionPacific1983WP: The Union Pacific Railroad's 'Western Pacific' Heritage Unit #1983, commemorating the now-extinct Western Pacific Railroad that UP swallowed up in 1983, after taking the Missouri Pacific Railroad in 1982 (however, it is worth noting that MoPac didn't formally go out of existence until 1983, when it was taken up alongside WP). Also, I had seen the WP heritage unit back on 2/21/2015, and it was the only UP heritage unit I had seen, so I was still a bit obsessive over it when I made my forum account in April 2015.

Also, I use the year "1983" in a lot of stuff... had something to do with... well, when I created my Google account,  I was a huge, HUGE Portal 2 fan, and I think the year "1983" appeared on a wall in a level in that game. So, "1983" became a part of my email address, which I will not share the full extent of because privacy.

So, my name has double meaning.

I'm pretty sure I've answered one of these threads before, but why not again?

Anyway, I'm diabetic, so I get stuck with pins and needles. By the way, shameless plug. You can help.

It was 1998 when this started, and about that time AOL Instant Messager was A Thing (do you kids know about AIM anymore?).

So in the spirit of Refusing to Not Laugh About This, I became pincushionman everywhere I had to sign up for a username, and for most of my "internet persona" accounts since then I've been able to use it.

About 21 years ago, when I first got a computer and discovered the internet, I was looking for discussion groups about model rocketry, as I was pretty heavily into it at the time (and for twenty+ years prior to that).  I wasn't all that familiar with naming conventions and chose some generic name at first that had a variation of my first name.  A couple years later, I switched message boards, and decided to try MaxxQ, as it seems like a real name, but as everyone here knows, is related to rocketry (minus the extra "x", of course).  Been using it, or variations (sometimes adding 2112, or making it MaxxRush, or adding my birth year) ever since.

The one I use right now was made by two of my friends, for some reason they were trying to come up with weird names for me.

Before that one of the friend tried to say "degrootkeep" (the TF2) map and said "Kreptouk" so I often use this name on steam, along with Pépito for no good reason.

It was some cold winter evening and i tried to think of a name but whatever name i ever used, it was taken.

Some mulled wine was heating in the microwave and it made *ping* while i was staring at the empty namefield.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.