HELLO!

We all know that nobody uses the lvl. 1 runway in career due to it's absolutely horrendous bumpiness, everybody simply taxis onto the grass beside it.

IDEA: The surrounding terrain around KSC should be bumpy like the rest of Kerbin, Also, the surrounding terrain possibly also get flatter as you upgrade the runway, as it would cause players to actually need to upgrade the runway if they want to attempt to fly. The level 1 runway is good enough for basic planes but if you are looking to make more advanced planes, we all just taxi off the runway. This could be prevented and add another element to the whole career mode by making a small change :D

*****************************************************************************************
If you're not all that experienced with modding, no reason to continue :)
******************************************************************************************

MODDERS!!

I am semi familiar with the Unity engine and know that squad probably used something other than the standard terrain tool to create Kerbin, however, I also know that mods that allow you to sort of edit the terrain already exist, with the new 64 bit functionality, perhaps a terrain editor mod could be released or at least a mod that creates what I said above.  Any ideas are welcome :D

The terrain need not be physically bumpy. The surface of every single planet in the Kerbol system needs whatever the "terrain" values are of the level 1 runway (or in fact worse than that). If it's not paved, there should be no spaceplane on it (unless the gear are then broken completely off).

What defines the bumpiness of the runway? What is the same setting for terrain?

To make things easier (for me :P ) I will just copy a post I made in another thread about this:

Interesting idea, roughen the terrain on planets, but add places level enough to land on all over the planet.

These do not have to be actual runways, just salt flats in the dessert, even areas of arctic ice, dirt patches in the grasslands - just represented by differently colored ground simply.

I do not know (and cannot check right now) whether the tier 1 runway is actually physically bumpy or just programmed to be?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.