Optimal Descent (to the Mun)

I can\'t speak to the relative efficiency of my method because I haven\'t compared it analytically with other methods but I would bump my periapsis down to 10 km as soon as I cross the Mun\'s SOI by burning normal to the spacecraft\'s motion but within the plane of the hyperbolic orbit. I would then wait until reaching periapsis to close down my orbit because that would take maximum advantage of the Oberth effect.

If you had not posted that, I would have. I did the calculations a couple months ago and found this to be the most efficient.

Thanks for the detailed responses and explanations - makes a lot of sense and this is something that should be in a Mun mission tutorial. I had been doing all my insertion burns tangential to velocity, but was beginning to realise that for the hyperbolic-to-orbit case that was less than optimal. I like your 'turning through the gate' analogy PakledHostage.

I have attached one of the few papers I found on the subject of efficient capture - a bit tough to read but the diagrams at the end are interesting. They find that a 3-burn maneuver may be optimal in some cases, where there is a plane change.

As for the next phase of the lunar landing challenge, my suggestion would be to

- start just outside the Munar SOI on a free-return type path - shorter duration challenge, fewer variables, but you can still choose a different SOI entry point if you want to.

- use the same craft we just used for this one, for comparison. Also, even though a low-impulse spacecraft would definitely change the optimal path, we\'d probably all end up using it at 100% or zero thrust anyway. At least with this 'typical' TWR spacecraft (for a lander) there is the possibility of doing some intermediate-thrust burns.

- allow free choice of landing site. This gives a greater variety of screenshots for one thing, and we\'ve seen some ingenious uses of terrain in this challenge already!

...but I\'m confident that it will be a good test of planning and piloting skills regardless.

The new challenge is up (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=15844.0), but I will still be monitoring (and probably attempting) this one. So if someone reading this is new to the challenge, you are still encouraged to participate. As I said in the original post, landing site and pilot skill are still a factor in the results.

144.9 kg after an exciting flight through the gorge and landing on the high ground at the end. Wish I could have video captured it. I had set periapsis just below ground level so the 'gravity turn' was very flat.

I broke a lander leg but remained balanced on two at a precarious angle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.