Is there a mod that you couldn't live without?

Foxster

Live without is a huge word, but KER would have to be my pick.

Delta-V, Radar Altitude, TWR, Remaining D/V per stage, Orbit altitudes, Horizontal/Vertical speeds are all things I look often when maneuvering around.
I used to play without it, but not too keen to returning to that way.

For me it's imposible to play without FAR, Kerbal Engineer Redux. Missing Advanced Jet Engines ruines my gameplay. Also feel wrong without Remote Tech and my own Fog Of Tech (but I always can deal with the latter myself :) ) And I don't play career without a contract science removing mod.

Edited by Ser

No mods (lack) would make me quit totally. I still do "totally stock" challenges when they strike my fancy. However, without a couple must-have mods I wouldn't do more than that.

I won't do anything serious without KER. I won't leave Kerbin's SOI or do more than 1 mission at a time without KAC. I won't dock anything more ambitious than a Gemini-type mission without the Navball Docking Port indicator or NavHud (preferably both).

Those are the biggies, really. I tend to not do anything but derp around until they're functional on whatever the newest version of the game is.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Delta-V and time-till impact calculations from KER. Everything else I can live without do work around. But these prevent a lot of problems for me.

The delta-V calculator in the VAB also prevents a lot of staging issues for me. Time-till impact prevents high-velocity lithobraking.

16 hours ago, Foxster said:

Is there one mod that if it wasn't updated to work with KSP1.1 would mean you would just quit playing? 

far and deadly re-entry, i just find the standard game way way to easy without them.

27 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

This game is broken and unplayable without KJR.

When you use terms like "broken" and "unplayable" to mean "less enjoyable for me" it diminishes those terms' value. KJR is a wonderful mod, but the game is completely playable without it.

For me, there is no single mod whose loss would stop me from playing. The only mod I truly consider essential is a TWR/delta-V calculator, if the one I use went belly up I'd switch to another. :) 

34 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

This game is broken and unplayable without KJR.

I've been playing a game that is so broken as to be unplayable... for 3 years?

I think you meant "I really don't enjoy playing without KJR, to the point where I'd quit."

Which at least makes sense. I understand the people who prefer procedural fairings to stock, but naming that mod in this thread just confuses me. You'd really stop playing if PF was not available? REALLY?

if you ever built a simple 18-part rocket and watch it explode before even staging it off the pad, you'd agree that KJR is required to play.
the stock joint system is very much broken and in absolutely no way funny either.

Just now, Xyphos said:

if you ever built a simple 18-part rocket and watch it explode before even staging it off the pad, you'd agree that KJR is required to play.
the stock joint system is very much broken and in absolutely no way funny either.

I never have done that.

I have built 100+ part ships with no struts, though. And my 300+ part ships frequently only need a dozen or so.

7 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

There are changes to joint strength and a bug "fix" (that seems to make things worse) in the latest 1.1 build. Be interesting to see how that pans out and whether there continues to be the need for KJR for so many people. 

36 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

Apparently I'm unqualified for playing KSP. I don't think I can even build something out of 18 parts that is so unstable that it explodes on the pad. Even my bigger launchers stay in one piece. Help! I'm a failure! Oh well, Space Engineers is on sale on Steam. I'll get that and quit KSP then. Bye everyone..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.