Is there a mod that you couldn't live without?

Foxster

Xyphos, I can confirm that I've been playing for a long time without KJR too, so it's incorrect to say that the game is broken without it. I haven't built enormous vessels but exceeded the 30 parts limit in the majority of designs. Started using KJR as an attempt to fix some frustrating troubles with other mods and keep playing with it because some mod states it as a requirement. Must say though that I had to use all my skills and luck to stop my rockets wobbling on ascent when played with FAR and without KJR.

Calm down, guys. Pretty sure you all started playing the game at some point, and that likely without any mods at the beginning, so the game is playable by definition. The term 'unplayable' really becomes overused.

I was about to write 'KER', but regex' comment about MM made me think. MM is that one mod that now everyone takes for granted. Which usually means 'good work' in the IT world :)

2 minutes ago, nanobot said:

I was about to write 'KER', but regex' comment about MM made me think. MM is that one mod that now everyone takes for granted. Which usually means 'good work' in the IT world :)

I'd say that MM is a damn good mod development tool but not a mod itself. Install just MM and you'll get nothing.

39 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

if you ever built a simple 18-part rocket and watch it explode before even staging it off the pad, you'd agree that KJR is required to play.
the stock joint system is very much broken and in absolutely no way funny either.

I'm quite uncertain whether to 'feed you' or not, but here goes.

I'll echo RIC and say that using strong terms such as 'broken' when that is very clearly not the case diminishes the strength of those terms, but it also diminishes the veracity of your statements in the eyes of other community members.

I am hearing your frustration with stock joints very clearly.  Please try to understand that this is not a universal experience among other players.  Once again, while your dismay at the behaviour of the stock joints may be so great that you choose not to play that way, many others do not share that experience and fully enjoy the game with the stock joints.

It may seem annoying that others have a different point of view and there's certainly the temptation to label or dismiss folks who have a differing perspective.  I would hope that the temptation is avoidable and you gain the understanding that even though you have had a very strong emotional response to a particular experience, not everybody else does or will have the same emotional reaction to that experience.

We have a very diverse community with an astonishing range of points of view on many issues.  I would like to think that we can communicate and interact equipped with the knowledge that each of us has an understanding and experience that is unique rather than universal and that we can learn from and enjoy each others' perspectives.

On topic.

I played for eight months before I downloaded my first mod.  None are so essential that I would give up KSP.

Happy landings!

KER, KAC, TAC-LS & RemoteTech are my core mods. I don't know if I'd quit without 'em, but I would certainly enjoy KSP a lot less.

PS: This is why seeing RemoteTech floundering for a new set of maintainers worries me. To all those people who like to say "Devs don't need to add that, let the modders handle it!" here's yet another example of why that's a weak argument. Updates break mods. Mods get abandoned.

I play both stock and nodded all the time so I would not quit if I lost all mods. The most valuable mod for me is Kerbal Alarm Clock. I can easily just calculate delta-v so I don't really need KER but it is my second favorite. http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Cheat_sheet a link to the very simple delta-v equation

I do feel that way about the need for deltaV/TWR calculations, I only bought the game once I noticed KER in a YouTube video...

However, there isn't any mod whose absence would make me quit KSP because most of my KSP time these days (well, probably since 0.90 if not earlier) is spent investigating bugs (in both plugins and the core game) and developing and testing plugins (either to fix bugs or as tools for investigation).  The last bit of "serious" play that I did was back in 0.25 when I created my icosahedron station.  If I did feel that strongly about any particular mod then I would write a replacement...

Losing KER and MJ both would bite. I'm completely baffled at the lack of delta-v readouts in stock. No sane space agency would wait until after launch to work out if it had enough fuel for the trip.

Transfer Window Planner would be totally vital if MechJeb wasn't around, and I prefer TWP over MJ for mission planning.

KAC is pretty important to my sanity.

...there are many others on my hot list, but these are probably the ones that would make me lose interest in the game :)

1 hour ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

I need whichever mod it is that puts the "Squad" folder in Game Data. Can't remember what it's called right now, but KSP would be completely unplayable without it. 

Steam?

But Steam is a Linux mod.

As for KJR, may I say that it helps greatly with some designs, but as for 1.0.5, moderately big rockets fly acceptably well without excess strutting. Thought there some weird glitches like 180⁰ bend under thrust at 4x timewarp. Stock joints are too flexible, but not game-breaking (or game-bending) flexible.

Empirically tested using a full-stock pre-release install: No.

I was actually surprised, on a previous attempt to create a stock save, I ended up crawling back to KER (for smart stuff) and hyperedit (for... um... "other" stuff). However, since the pre-release, I've been to busy screwing with IVA stuff, wheels, and editor thingamabobs to care about Delta-V.

Basics MechJeb & and almost all of Umbra Space Industries. Without the mods from RoverDude I left the game in the first interplanetary mission... Too easy for me...

I could use Kerbal Engineer to show the data, but the automation from MechJeb is important if you are sending resources (or a new crew) to your planetary bases... 

Can't live without KER, for both design and flight. Information like thrust to weight and time to apoapsis is important to me when getting into orbit. 

Can live without anything else, though I like many other mods, especially ones like FAR and RealChute. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.