Is there a mod that you couldn't live without?

Foxster

For me, other than KER and all the visual mods, is Interstellar Extended. After the colonization of the Kerbol system or of other planets pack, I don't like to still travel with the classic old-fashioned liquid rocket, but with the futuristic (and very realistic too) nuclear engines.

On 4/8/2016 at 5:37 AM, Starhawk said:

I'll echo RIC and say that using strong terms such as 'broken' when that is very clearly not the case diminishes the strength of those terms, but it also diminishes the veracity of your statements in the eyes of other community members.

I am hearing your frustration with stock joints very clearly.  Please try to understand that this is not a universal experience among other players.  Once again, while your dismay at the behaviour of the stock joints may be so great that you choose not to play that way, many others do not share that experience and fully enjoy the game with the stock joints.

I'm not the person you were talking to, but for the record: I quit playing a couple of years ago entirely because I couldn't make even a moderately large ship (with many struts) without random parts exploding for no reason, and that was with KJR installed. I would say the stock game now is roughly like what stock + KJR was at the time, i.e. playable only if you're just goofing around and not trying to build anything of any significant size, or don't mind absurd numbers of struts and a decent amount of trial-and-error. 18 parts is a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm very skeptical of people's claims that they've built 100-part ships with no struts in stock. (Maybe they had like 80 small radial parts...?)

Also, this is an opinion thread, and I don't quite understand why this one opinion is apparently invalid, just because not everyone shares it...

1 hour ago, kotomikun said:

I'm not the person you were talking to, but for the record: I quit playing a couple of years ago entirely because I couldn't make even a moderately large ship (with many struts) without random parts exploding for no reason, and that was with KJR installed.

What I'm hearing here is that you have also experienced frustration with the stock joints.

I would say the stock game now is roughly like what stock + KJR was at the time, i.e. playable only if you're just goofing around and not trying to build anything of any significant size, or don't mind absurd numbers of struts and a decent amount of trial-and-error.

This appears to be demeaning toward and dismissive of the playstyles of folks who do not share your frustration with the stock joints.

18 parts is a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm very skeptical of people's claims that they've built 100-part ships with no struts in stock. (Maybe they had like 80 small radial parts...?)

Not quite sure what you're trying to get at here.  I have not discussed and was not discussing 100-part ships.

Also, this is an opinion thread, and I don't quite understand why this one opinion is apparently invalid, just because not everyone shares it...

I don't understand how any part of my statements could be construed as indicating that any opinion is invalid.

On topic:  There's still no mod whose lack would cause me to give up KSP.

Happy landings!

2 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

try now

Never played with such fragile designs. Note that the rocket itself remained intact. Also I doubt that something like that rover would ever get into orbit in one peace IRL. So KJR is undoubtely vital to keep together some insane designs but what about realistic gameplay? Still unplayable?

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

You're using a prerelease build with a known and reported bug with joints as proof?

This is why we can't have nice things.

remember: it's not a bug, it's a feature.
and yes, it's proof that I refuse to play the pre-release until KJR is updated for it.

Edited by Xyphos

7 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

remember: it's not a bug, it's a feature.
and yes, it's proof that I refuse to play the pre-release until KJR is updated for it.

Which is good, considering you can't accept that prereleases will have bugs that need fixing before the game is ready to be played in earnest.

And let me be clear. What your video shows is a BUG. It is reported on the bug tracker and the only reason I'm not the one who reported it is because someone beat me to it.

Your poorly constructed ship may snap in earlier versions, but nobody - NOBODY - would argue that many joints spontaneously disconnecting on ANY ship is a "feature."

Edited by 5thHorseman

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Which is good, considering you can't accept that prereleases will have bugs that need fixing before the game is ready to be played in earnest.

such silly things you're assuming. I'll gladly play the pre-release and all of it's buggyness after KJR is updated for it.
but having vessels fall apart before even staging it off the pad is my biggest "omg I quit this dumb game" moments.
and thus is why KJR is the mod I can't live without.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Keep the language in check, please.

6 hours ago, Xyphos said:

such silly things you're assuming. I'll gladly play the pre-release and all of it's buggyness after KJR is updated for it.
but having vessels fall apart before even staging it off the pad is my biggest "omg I quit this dumb game" moments.

It's a BETA. And not the watered-down version of "beta" that everybody's been using ever since Gmail came out (is that still in Beta?). It's an actual beta where you expect game-breaking bugs that you shouldn't mod away, but instead report.

You don't "play" the pre-release. You bug test it. You found a bug, great. Now stop trying to build ships that you know will fail in that build and try to test other things.

Or play 1.0.5. There is no shame in wanting to play a more stable game with all the mods that make it work the way you (but not necessarily some others) want it to.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Or play 1.0.5. There is no shame in wanting to play a more stable game with all the mods that make it work the way you (but not necessarily some others) want it to.

Perhaps you should re-read the topic title.
I've replied, given an example of why, and you still insist on insulting other people for expressing their opinions.
you're a forum troll, to which I say, Good Day, Sir.

When I decided to take a look at 1.1 today I not only played KSP for the first time in months but also for the first time without mods in about two years. I quickly (I quit after half an hour or so despite the actually nice performance improvements) realized that I can’t enjoy KSP any more without the following mods as a bare minimum (in order of importance):

1. MJ. Not only for the readout, but also because I happily admit that I suck at flying and get my enjoyment mostly from building things which I wouldn’t get anywhere interesting without the auto pilot.

2. Procedural parts. While some seem to enjoy the challenge of working with the stock part selection I simply can’t. If KSP could load CAD files directly I’d probably sit down with SolidWorks designing several parts of a mission exactly the way I desire them to be. PP is far from perfect in this regard, but so much better than stock.

3. KJR. Wobble and phantom forces are my fun killer number 1.

4. FAR. I think it’s less a gameplay issue (since the areo overhaul) but more of a psychological thing that I need the feeling to know aerodynamics are actually calculated based on vessel shape not based on the parts it consists of.

I know that this is only my very special point of view, but it really disappointed me today how desperately I was missing those mods (and others to a lower degree).
The feeling was like getting into the car, anxious for a fun road trip just to realize the steering wheel is missing.

4 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

I've replied, given an example of why, and you still insist on insulting other people for expressing their opinions.
you're a forum troll, to which I say, Good Day, Sir.

Where has he insulted you (or anyone else)?  The only person trolling here is you.  The joints in the pre-release version are known to behave differently to 1.0.5 due to changes in Unity that have not (yet) been fully accounted for.  Ferram has clearly stated in a number of places that KJR will not be updated until after the official 1.1 release mainly because the stock joints will, almost certainly, change several times before that happens and he (understandably) doesn't want to keep having to tweak KJR during the pre-release period.  The point is that many people play with the stock joints just fine so they can't really be described as "broken".

24 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

I did. It's not "What is undeniably broken about the game and what mod fixes it?" It's "what mod can you not live without?" You cannot live without KJR. You've made that clear. The game is not broken without it though and nothing you say will convince those of us who have happily played the game for years without it - and without ever even considering it for their mod lists.

As critical as KER is to my enjoyment of the game, I have never and would never insist that the game is inherently broken without it.

26 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

Good Day, Sir.

Indeed.

After 5 pages the rankings are roughly (it's difficult to know if some people meant they would quit playing KSP completely, rather than not enjoy it so much):

KAC
KER
MJ
KJR
FAR

(and, of course, one row about what "pre-release" means.  Ah well, my last row was with people who couldn't understand the difference between insufficiency and absence)

With the reservation in the first line, a top-ten might even be possible from this.  I'm off to curse, etc. to check how the top downloads match-up with self-selected statements

After landing on every planet numerous times I would just build and flew planes on Kerbin if not the Kopernicus mod. If there was no Kopernicus with planet packs, I would be stuck with planes whenever I launched KSP.

Edited by Enceos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.