Is there a mod that you couldn't live without?

Foxster

Yes and no. I am at this point basically unwilling to go without some form of docking cam mod. There is simply no way to get a good sense off all 3 dimensions at once with a 2D display, making docking an exercise in tedium and frustration. With a proper docking cam type readout (it doesn't need to be a camera, I just need the distance and relative velocity readouts), I can setup the perfect dock a few 10's of meters out, and jump into first person from another vantage point (on another vessel) and watch it happen.

When I upload pictures like this:

ba9f4.jpg

They aren't static shots. That ship I am looking at is currently moving towards the station (where I am viewing from) at probably 0.5 m/s, and docked with the station successfully a few seconds after that picture was taken. I love watching ships dock like that, and I can't set that up without an information read out that lets me know I have everything lined up correctly, and the ship will drift in without any fuss.

Edited by Randox

i m not a pilot as first interest or main/favourites specialities/focus not that i can't but, more someone interested in creating satelite network similar to GPS for survey and land observations, geology, archeology, history(ies), lifeforms etc.

so yup there's a few mods i prefer not to play without ; )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

KER.  The last time I played without KER was .23 when I first bought the game.  It's the first mod I got, and the only mod I use religiously.  Aside from the dv calculation, having orbital information in flight view means I only have to switch over to map view when I plan a burn or tweak an intercept.  Also, having distance to terrain means I don't splatter nearly as often when I'm landing.  Not having KER would make the game so much more frustrating that I probably would stop playing.      

On 2016-04-07 at 0:13 PM, Foxster said:

Is there one mod that if it wasn't updated to work with KSP1.1 would mean you would just quit playing? 

No.  None.

KAC is my most important mod, but I can and did play without it (or ANY mod whatsoever, save for my custom flag) throughout the entire 1.1PR and was pleased enough.  That's not to say that my enjoyment is vastly enhanced by things like KAC/Alternate Resource Panel/KAS/KIS/VOID etc, but I can make do without.

It's like a steak.  I can grill up a steak with literally nothing else and enjoy it for dinner. The mods are like.. sides and sauces and drinks that greatly enhance the experience, but they're not strictly required.

Literally every mod I have installed, once all the mods I use are updated I will update to 1.1.

KSP doesn't auto-update because I got it from the KSP website.

EDIT: Here's a "short" list.

SpaceY

SpaceY Expanded

The near future packs

Some space station mod I can't remember the name of

RLA Stockalike

KJR

KER

KAC

OPM

Asclepius

and probably a lot moar.

Edited by CAKE99

Id say the 2 mods i really really like (although id never quit KSP even if all mods failed one day and were never updated) would be Hyperedit and KIS.  Hedit i use for simplifying menial tasks (such as bringing entire armadas of the exact same ship to teh exact same spot.  Ill launch 1, take it to its destination normally (as in burn and get there), and then ill Hedit copies of it to roughly the same spot and remove an equal amount of fuel from it.  Used to use MJ for that task, automatically delivering vessels, but its time consuming and cheat or not, Hedit does that job faster, better, and most of all it saves time.  that and i use it quite a bit to save myself from kraken bugs (like bring my ship back to the proper orbit it was in after it for some dumb reason decides to go all out and either goes FTL or does that instant 0m/s orbital velocity thing.  As for KIS, well its pretty self explanatory, you can assembly ships and vehicles outside the VAB/SPH.  While it has plenty of other neat features, the only part of that mod i ever cared for was the ability to repair (or completely reassemble) warships in orbit after a hole got torn in its side via missile fire.  Also its very immersive in that you can drop off a pile of structural parts on some planet, and have a few kerbals assemble a bunker or something.  I used to use KAS alot too (winches were alot of fun), but only bother using that now when i feel like screwing around and making stupid things like trebuchets or other completely insane inventions.  I also used to be obsessed with the robotics mod (turrets anyone?), but my recent experiments with stock turret bearings have made that mod way less worthwhile, and i find it more fun/challenging to make my own rotational elements with stock KSP.

As for things i enjoy but couldnt care less about, id have to say visual mods go here.  EVE (or should i say my own custom modified version of it with custom sci-fiy configs), planetshine, distant object enchancement, scatterer, ect.  Kinda working on updating my EVE configs (since everything broke after 1.1), so hopefully ill have my clouds/dust on every planet/moon (prolly minmus was my fav since i gave it these creepy green clouds that made it very scary looking, as well as dres with pitch black dust storms).  The rest is just minor improvements that i use on and off depending on how much performance i need like when im working with 1000+ part counts every bit helps so i tend to disable these mods when i get into fleet scale fights.

That said, after i discovered DMP, i seriously stopped using any mods that add parts, and just today finished modding KIS to not require any parts at all.  This lets me use KIS's main feature i care for (assembly/disassembly outside kerbin), while retaining full DMP compatibility with my ships so i can always go online and vaporize someone with them.

I use the now unsupported but functional tool JSGME to add and remove mods, and I've gotten good at tweaking it, so I can easily install a lot of mods and be confident I can individually update or remove them.  So I run KSP with a lot of mods.  Many of them are quality-of-life and immersion improvements.

What ones I need?  Those essential to very very wanted:

KSP-AVC: helping to catch mod updates (although getting forum topic update notices helps too)
Module Manager: used by so many other mods and even myself modding and metamodding
blizzy78's Toolbar: still use it for some mods, as a supplement to the stock applauncher
        (which is much better now running down the right side of flight mode)

HyperEdit: I'm still new to a lot of KSP and when I'm designing spacecraft, landers, & rovers,
        it helps to be able to test them in their intended environment
MakeItSmall: having its UI scaling and adjustments helps a lot, moreso if selective text font scaling gets added
NavHud: ultimate exacting navball, painted on the SKY, to show you where you're going, vital at times for aircraft
Waypoint Manager: so I can see waypoints in flight mode and have some range and ETA data

Pilot Assistance: having a proper aircraft autopilot is vital when stock control trim & SAS isn't enough
KAC: once I try to do anything significant, either multiple flights or some sort of manual-delay construction time, I need an Alarm Clock
Engineering mods: use all 3, especially for delta-V & orbit info: KER, MechJeb, VOID,
        respectively for editor info, flight windows and some autopilot as needed, and cool HUD's
KSP Alternate Resource Panel (not released yet for KSP 1.1): much easier to read than the stock resource panel
NavUtilities: so I can navigate to runways and do a good glidepath for landing
Precise Node: the vital & best tool for editting maneuver nodes
RCS Build Aid: getting RCS statically balanced in the VAB
Targetron: better tool for targetting spacecraft and switching control, even to debris
Docking Port Alignment Indicator: to get docking done right

Action Groups Extended (not released yet for KSP 1.1): Custom Action Groups from the start in careers, also more of them & inflight editting
Aviation Lights: mark spacecraft so I orient them better, especially in the dark
Editor Extensions: better and greater part symmetry & alignment
Part Angle Display: to see a part's exact attitude to get it right
Part Wizard: for the rare but vital times I need to either break or make part symmetry groups on a spacecraft
Ship Manifest: for complex resource transfers (replacing TAC Fuel Balancer for now)
        and transfers of a pod's Crew Report into the Science Container without having to do EVA transfer silliness
Ambient Light Adjustment: for bringing light to that dark flight scene when you just absolutely have to

Edited by Jacke

I think KACPreciseNode and Navyfish's DPAI are the only ones I absolutely need, but Engineer Redux, Connected Living Spaces and RCS Build Aid are nice to have too. Also fond of the OctoGirders from Near Future Construction when it comes to building installations and large ships, but they're totally non-essential, I just find boxy things full of support beams aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by Guest

Kerbal Alarm Clock. Timing is everything..... Not saying I would quit playing if it wasn't there.... But I might not play as much. Oh yeah NavyFish's Docking mod....   Yeah, I could go without one or the other, but not both.  I certainly would wait for either to be updated.

Edited by Fizwalker

As far as things that would make me outright quit, I'd say not having Kerbal Engineer Redux. Second place would have to be Extraplanetary Launchpads/Simple Construction, as I wouldn't find an extended playthrough fun without being able to build functional bases on other bodies.

Beyond that, Tweakscale is a huge help, and SpaceY is practically essential for getting big payloads into space.

I still play with most mods all fine but few mods not yet update, can't going other stock planets & mod planets far away without Protractor mod easily wasted fuel, still can go Duna & Eve & Mun & Minmus.

Haven't update Protractor :( 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.