Is there a mod that you couldn't live without?

Foxster

10 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Hey that's my mod! :)

Wow! Just watched this, and I also must install it ASAP. Really though, it is absolute simplistic genius!

Is there a 1.0.5 edition?

Edit: Wow, I just realized that I will hardly ever use Action Groups any more. Mind = Blown

Edited by JedTech

2 minutes ago, JedTech said:

Wow! Just watched this, and I also must install it ASAP. Really though, it is absolute simplistic genius!

Is there a 1.0.5 edition?

It looks from the video that he's running it in 1.0.5 (the right click gui is attached to the part, not to a line) so I'd say it does work in 1.0.5. I've not tested it though. It's simple enough that I'm not surprised that it seems to work, but with all the gui changes I'd not have been surprised to find out it didn't either.

Having experienced several weeks with a badly mangled hand in a cast and a broken finger on the other (long story), definitely mechjeb

This game rather needs two hands for manual flight control operations, with Mechjeb autopilot you can build your pretty rocket in the editor and fly it with mouse commands

If you have any kind of permanent or temporary hand disability being able to play the game with just a mouse is a godsend

KSPSerialIO, I cannot use my control rig without it. Once 1.1 rolls out, I will have to quit playing until it is updated. I would hate to do dV calculations by Excel, and it would limit my constructions to non-asparagus, but it would be possible.

For me, its not one mod, but RSS/RO I can't live without it anymore. Sending the tiniest unmanned Probe to the Moon was more rewarding then anything in Stock Kerbal could be for me after 1500h+ in game.

I'm currently 1.1 testing, so there are clearly no mods I must have.

But the one I miss most is the one that allows me to have fuel lines. Because docking to refuel on a planet means building really awkward designs or having a tanker that connects to my outpost, transfers the fuel to itself and then undocks, docks with my craft and transfers fuel to it.

I have played with MechJeb on and off, but I only use it for things I've done before and am comfortable doing. But I'm not missing that this run, I'm too busy figuring out if the changes in my launches are due to the new physics or because the changes in the game engine have effected my efficiencies.

2 minutes ago, llanthas said:

I love the idea of that one, but it looks very daunting...   Is it even possible to do some of the more extreme Kerbal contracts without modding the parts available?

Stock career + RO/RSS = disaster. Thankfully there is a fairly comprehensive rework of career mode for RO, Realistic Progression Zero, which is quite good. Sounding rockets are more fun than they....sound.

1 minute ago, llanthas said:

So....  You're making the environment harder.. which means you have to make the ships more powerful...  And you end up where you started, no?

It's much more than just bigger planets/solar system. Rockets aren't throttleable and have a limited number of ignitions. Ullage is a thing. Choosing which propellants to use is critical. SSTO planes are basically untenable. Reaction wheels are borderline useless. And other differences I'm surely forgetting.

I've been playing KSP for a long time (and I know you have too :)), this was the first set of mods that made me feel like a newb again, and let me recapture that thrill of making orbit for the first time, etc. Highly recommended.

8 hours ago, Wetapunga said:

Having experienced several weeks with a badly mangled hand in a cast and a broken finger on the other (long story), definitely mechjeb

This game rather needs two hands for manual flight control operations, with Mechjeb autopilot you can build your pretty rocket in the editor and fly it with mouse commands

If you have any kind of permanent or temporary hand disability being able to play the game with just a mouse is a godsend

I never thought of the accessibility benefits of using MJ.  I thought being able to go pour myself a coffee while doing interplanetary burns was reason enough!

MechJeb, most definitely. My hands are palsied, to a degree, but I also have nerve damage that causes my right hand to twitch. One learns in a hurry not to rest one's jittery hands on the space-bar in anticipation of staging. There's too great a risk that an inopportune twitch will stage something early (or extra). It's also good for placing a node. I can manually set my nodes, if there's enough time to adjust it manually (I need at least 2 minutes to be sure I've got time to over/undershoot as many times as are inevitable before I get it right). Otherwise, Mechjeb allows me to do things like drop my periapsis into the atmosphere, stage some things that I don't want hanging around in orbit, then immediately creating and executing a node to circularize, so only the space junk goes away, not the whole mission (which happened at least once before I started figuring out how to use MechJeb).

On 7.4.2016 at 8:46 PM, Mastikator said:

Kerbal Alarm clock is the one I value the most, more than any delta-v mod.

I miss Dv information most, mechjeb solves this. Alarm clock is still unsolved. Issue increase with the cube of active missions

14 hours ago, llanthas said:

I love the idea of that one, but it looks very daunting...   Is it even possible to do some of the more extreme Kerbal contracts without modding the parts available?

Let me put it that way, you will not do any grand tour type of thing ;)

Yesterday evening I tried a free return manned moon mission and couldn't achieve a nice trajectory at first. So, there is a reason why there are no man on Mars at the moment, because its damn hard!

But for me, that's the challenge, and with the RP0 mod there are new contracts, like supersonic flights (which too are hard when you didn't fidget a lot with planes in far before, like me) and a lot more progression like automatic contracts you get money and prestige for, like staying in orbit for 21orbits or 3 days or like I was trying a manned moon flyby etc.

14 hours ago, llanthas said:

So....  You're making the environment harder.. which means you have to make the ships more powerful...  And you end up where you started, no?

To an extend, if you use all the recommended mods you get to the point to where your engines are rated with a specific max burntime, and if you burn them longer your chances of blowing them up starts increasing exponentially. So you have new design challenges too because you can't just make the tank bigger to get to your desired TWR. All in all, just copy a clean install of KSP anywhere fire up ckan and try it for  your self. No other way than that to see if its for you or not. ;)

Greetings

Ben

No offset limits and RCS build aid because I don't like to build "normally"...

I'm even having to play a 1.1 pre-release career because I don't have RCS build aid to help me figure out my torque for my contraptions... I mean actually a career game?! I'm a kludger not a career man!

TAC Fuel Balancer: Because refueling a high number of tanks in the stock UI, even with the tooltip pin, is slow and difficult to select.

KER (Kerbal Engineer Redux): Use it for aditional telemetry readings like Ap, Pe, altitude, heat, remaining dV, everyting on the same screen.  Switching over to the map screen with M to find out Ap and Pe and cycling thorugh it multiple times gets annoying.  Some rocket and SSTO launches require full concentration while on the ascent profile, a few seconds of distraction in the map view to see the orbital path could mean failure.

RCS Build Aid: Becasue using only the stock version to see wet CoM and emptying all tanks to figure out the dry CoM and doing this over and over again for trial and error is again annoying.  This mod shows CoM in yellow, dry in red and average in orange.  Also it's an aditional indicator to the Center of Thrust to figure out what will happen with RCS thrusters and avoid having to find out the hard way they are misplaced.

These are my "must have" on KSP as a minimum.

Edited by HMIC

1 hour ago, FlipNascar said:

No offset limits and RCS build aid because I don't like to build "normally"...

I'm even having to play a 1.1 pre-release career because I don't have RCS build aid to help me figure out my torque for my contraptions... I mean actually a career game?! I'm a kludger not a career man!

@FlipNascar RCS Build Aid is already available for KSP 1.1, m4v recompiled it a couple of weeks back:

Edited by HMIC

On 7.4.2016 at 6:13 PM, Foxster said:

Is there one mod that if it wasn't updated to work with KSP1.1 would mean you would just quit playing? 

Nope.

There is one Mod ... Kerbal Engineer Redux ... which I would be very sad to lose, if it wouldn´t work with the new version of KSP ...

but there is not a single mod whose absence would cause me to quit KSP altogether

(actually, before Kerbal Engineer Redux, I calculated the important values of my rockets via Excel ... I would return to this, if I wouldn´t have KER anymore ... although it takes much longer to do it this way)

Edited by Godot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.