Heavy Lifters,more exploration

ArdaKanpolatKSP

I have a design series that can do 550 tonnes to a rendezvous at 1000km-0 deg, of course more to a lower/inclined orbit. No elegance to the launch or design. Lift to 80 km and turn right.  I'm working one that will lift 1000 tonnes to there. I'll post some pics when I get to my ksp comp.

The OP doesn't actually seem like a question.  Nonetheless...

Does this count?  It put this 575 tonne payload into LKO.

loa8OQb.png

The eight Mammoths on the outer ring are onion-staged and the core consists of five more Mammoths.

Happy landings!

I was trying to make a ship to launch all the science instruments I have into space (lab, 2 barometer, 2 thermometer, 2 goo, and materials bay).  I don't have any mods yet except for mechjeb

The 3 boosters seem to be unnecessary \ don't help... but it makes going into orbit (i skip kerbin's orbit) a lot easier.

My orbit below might be a little weird, almost hit the moon on my way up.

Below is the orbit

Spoiler

dv_1.png

Spoiler

dv_2.png

Above is the ship in orbit, and below is the setup I used.  the outside runs out of fuel, then the center rocket, then the middle circle

http://s24.postimg.org/p53uy8g43/dv_3.png

Still searching for that magic 15k+ deltaV rocket.  I play very casually though, so haven't done much math \ tinkering.  You can make this setup with more FPS if you do with out the boosters, and maybe add another ring of fuel and mainsails?  Haven't checked yet

The ship file is below... forgot to put struts on the top, won;t work with mechjeb when it moves around so much.  Then again mechjeb managed to rip one of the rockets off my ship in the 20 seconds i left the room lol

Edited by drew4452862

20 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

Most satisfying craft 2016

It's a few versions old, actually, although I could easily rebuild it.  But without ferram4 around dropping the Etona? (some 5000 tons to LEO, built to stress test KJR) I just roll this out for heavy lifting threads.

(EDIT WITH ACTUAL NUMBERS, I FINALLY BOTHERED LAUNCHING IT IN 1.1)

This is the "Why God, Why." It's almost 3,000 tons on the launch pad and about 660 in LKO, almost all of that fuel. Its job is to fill up my Grand Tour ship with about 7.5 14,400 tanks of fuel. It's got 8 Mammoths around the outside that onion their fuel into 4 Rhinos, which then onion their fuel into the "mostly payload" stage that is a single Rhino. All 13 engines ignite at launch.

It's a real pain to fly, mostly because the 2nd stage (that starts when you drop the Rhinos, and would otherwise be hoping to start flattening out your ascent angle) has a TWR of 0.65, and the final stage (which is one Rhino pushing 10 full 14.4 tanks to start, and starts when you're about 50km up and have a Pe of about -350km) has a TWR of 0.25.

WhyGodWhy.jpg

Edited by 5thHorseman

I'm gonna be THAT guy who asks, "What's a heavy lifter?"

...if you can't get it off the pad using normal methods, the you probably should break it apart into modules and assemble it in orbit.

Edited by Xyphos

40 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

I'm gonna be THAT guy who asks, "What's a heavy lifter?"

...if you can't get it off the pad using normal methods, the you probably should break it apart into modules and assemble it in orbit.

I consider a heavy lifter a "normal method." If my computer can run it, it's not too big.

And from what I've seen in the 1.1 prerelease, that measure is only going to allow LARGER behemoths to fit under it.

How are we defining normal?

My heavy launchers came about from the need to lift a few tens of kilo tons in to Kerbin orbit. There is a 1:1 relationship between mass from surface to KO and number of launches. The difficulty of a heavy to super heavy launcher is worth the time spent in design.

1 hour ago, steuben said:

How are we defining normal?

"normal" as in, real-life. EG, your lower stage is does not require the use of fuel ducts, but solid or liquid boosters may still be used.
I guess I play by a different set of rules than everyone else.

My "yea I know its laughable that an SSTO would get to orbit with over a 30%, even a 40% payload fraction in real life" heavy SSTO lifter.

h5QS5sP.png

2du0xio.png

If this is the payload, it only takes 2 launches:

rq1irRl.png

JiHWstz.png

FOfPjuO.png

(excuse the changes to the design that happened as a result of moving from 1.04 to 1.05)

The two sections docked together

sakQadZ.png

Ah well, its still more realistic than any other space game out there except orbiter.

I've since reduced part count by getting rid of the airbrakes (action groups for opposite deployment of control surfaces replaced that). Also I replaced the mk2 adaptors from bicouplers to single, nearly halving the intake number. Its still too much, I hope 1.1 makes it more useable

Edited by KerikBalm

Are you sure you're counting payload fraction right? 50.1 is a darn good payload fraction, and basically the best that I've seen done in challenges with very specialized crafts and payloads.

Its not payload/craft starting mass. Its payload / (craft starting mass+payload mass) = 50% one way, 33% the other way.

Still, thats a very nice SSTO, and I'm glad to see other people making large cargo SSTOs... break freee of the confines of the mk3 bay brothers and sister!

On 4/8/2016 at 9:22 PM, Xyphos said:

"normal" as in, real-life. EG, your lower stage is does not require the use of fuel ducts, but solid or liquid boosters may still be used.
I guess I play by a different set of rules than everyone else.

This is a bad set of rules since I use fuel duct for practically every craft I make, even the .625 ones.  Why stage with partially fueled tanks when you can have them full?

23 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Are you sure you're counting payload fraction right? 50.1 is a darn good payload fraction, and basically the best that I've seen done in challenges with very specialized crafts and payloads.

Its not payload/craft starting mass. Its payload / (craft starting mass+payload mass) = 50% one way, 33% the other way.

Still, thats a very nice SSTO, and I'm glad to see other people making large cargo SSTOs... break freee of the confines of the mk3 bay brothers and sister!

It was in the Payload fraction Challenge in 1.0.4 with over 50% payload fraction, but you need modify it by removing cockpits and using the remote control parts instead + moving wings slightly forward for re-entry. I did it in  1.0.5 also but forgot to post it. Now I await 1.1 :)

This is my 600 tons to LKO. This 12 mammoth rocket is a SSTO and reusable for around 350 funds per ton. But hos is more for the beauty of it. I never really used it. (I used the 400T variant though)

b1caa6cd-d7fb-4919-9624-66a4b55e2759.jpg

More light weight here, but still not updated for 1.0.5

Edited by Warzouz

8 hours ago, mrclucks said:

This is a bad set of rules since I use fuel duct for practically every craft I make, even the .625 ones.  Why stage with partially fueled tanks when you can have them full?

because the first and second laws of thermodynamics prevents such a thing from existing, all the pumps in the world couldn't squeeze fuel through a garden hose fast enough to keep the engine(s) running.
just add more boosters, and maybe 1 or 3 vector-boosters for gimbal steering, you won't need to touch your lower stage until after the boosters come off at 20Km, and it'll still be a full tank.

Edited by Xyphos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.